High protein but low cholesterol/saturated fat help!

Options
I’m a 62 year old man with a high Calcium score (865 should be 0). I passed nuclear stress test with no indications of blockages etc.
My cardiologist recommend I get my LDL below 55 (currently at approx 100 with total at 117). He prescribed a statin to do it (I’m reluctantly taking it) but he said I should also watch my saturated fat and cholesterol intake. He says diet can only control about 20% of the overall but I need it super low so watch carefully.
I’m trying to get at least 175g of protein per day based on my weight (230) and approx body fat (guessing 25%).
I’m having a problem getting the protein without the cholesterol and saturated fat. Any ideas besides beans and non fat dairy for high protein low cholesterol foods?

Answers

• Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Total cholesterol is 177 not 117. Couldn’t figure out how to edit
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,126 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Honestly, if I were you, I would focus just as much (if not more) on adding foods like healthy fats and soluble fiber as avoiding saturated fats. And I would pretty much ignore cholesterol intake.

Weight-loss and increasing (cardio) exercise are also great ideas, if those are relevant for you.

Skyr and Greek yogurt are great for low fat protein. Seafood and shrimp too.
  • mbinaz2019
    mbinaz2019 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, nuts, low- or no-fat cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt are all sources of protein with healthy (not satutated) or low/no fats. You can replace sour cream with Greek yogurt.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts and fish are good. Salmon is a fatty fish, but it is healthy fat.

There are margarines that have very low saturated fats and no trans fats. Use them instead of butter. Olive oil and canola oil don't have saturated fats,.

Also, cutting back on carbs can actually help to lower cholesterol and triglycerides
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    With that kind of calcium score, chronic inflammation will have been quite influential regardless of cholesterol levels. Normally that's brought on by consuming a diet that is high in refined carbs and the associated foods. You can't lower the existing calcium in your arteries but you can bring it to a halt by consuming a more whole food diet and ideally lower to low in overall carbs and with at least 90 minutes a week in some kind of movement that would be described as exercise. Yeah, the saturated fat and cholesterol dogma prevails unfortunately. Also statins do pretty much zilch for primary care, and almost nothing for secondary, but it is a money maker, no doubt about that.
  • neanderthin
    edited November 2023
    Options
    mbinaz2019 wrote: »
    Peanut butter, nuts, low- or no-fat cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt are all sources of protein with healthy (not satutated) or low/no fats. You can replace sour cream with Greek yogurt.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts and fish are good. Salmon is a fatty fish, but it is healthy fat.

There are margarines that have very low saturated fats and no trans fats. Use them instead of butter. Olive oil and canola oil don't have saturated fats,.

Also, cutting back on carbs can actually help to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

There's so much conflicting and wrong information here, not sure where you gathered it from. Olive oil and canola both have saturated fat. 13 and 7 % respectively and 25% of the fat is Atlantic salmon is saturated.
  • mbinaz2019
    mbinaz2019 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

There's so much conflicting and wrong information here, not sure where you gathered it from. Olive oil and canola both have saturated fat. 13 and 7 % respectively and 25% of the fat is Atlantic salmon is saturated. 75% of the saturated fats in the American diet come from plant based sources.

1 TBSP olive oil has 14 grams of fat, but only 2 grams of saturated fat. 1 TBSP Canola oil also has 14 grams of fat, but only 1 gram of saturated fat - essentially negligible amounts.

100 grams (about 3.5 ounces) of Atlantic salmon has 6 grams total fat, 1 gram saturated fat. Again, a negligible amount.

I got the info from MFP.

• neanderthin
    Options

There's so much conflicting and wrong information here, not sure where you gathered it from. Olive oil and canola both have saturated fat. 13 and 7 % respectively and 25% of the fat is Atlantic salmon is saturated. 75% of the saturated fats in the American diet come from plant based sources.

1 TBSP olive oil has 14 grams of fat, but only 2 grams of saturated fat. 1 TBSP Canola oil also has 14 grams of fat, but only 1 gram of saturated fat - essentially negligible amounts.

100 grams (about 3.5 ounces) of Atlantic salmon has 6 grams total fat, 1 gram saturated fat. Again, a negligible amount.

I got the info from MFP.

I agree low, and the percentages are correct but to say there is no saturated fat in these products was the reason for my post.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I’m a 62 year old man with a high Calcium score (865 should be 0). I passed nuclear stress test with no indications of blockages etc.
    My cardiologist recommend I get my LDL below 55 (currently at approx 100 with total at 117). He prescribed a statin to do it (I’m reluctantly taking it) but he said I should also watch my saturated fat and cholesterol intake. He says diet can only control about 20% of the overall but I need it super low so watch carefully.
    I’m trying to get at least 175g of protein per day based on my weight (230) and approx body fat (guessing 25%).
    I’m having a problem getting the protein without the cholesterol and saturated fat. Any ideas besides beans and non fat dairy for high protein low cholesterol foods?

In your situation, I would ask for a referral to a registered dietitian to make sure I was getting the best nutritional advice for my particular condition. Most doctors don't get beans in terms of nutritional education.

175g of protein per day seems high. If you got it from your cardiologist specific to your condition, don't change it unless you hear differently from a RD. If you got it elsewhere, check against this reputable protein calculator: https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

While chicken breast is high protein and lower cholesterol and saturated fat, my understanding is that it is less important to avoid dietary cholesterol than it is to add foods that reduce cholesterol. But again, do consult with a RD.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/11-foods-that-lower-cholesterol

Changing what foods you eat can lower your cholesterol and improve the armada of fats floating through your bloodstream. Adding foods that lower LDL, the harmful cholesterol-carrying particle that contributes to artery-clogging atherosclerosis, is the best way to achieve a low cholesterol diet.

• neanderthin
    edited November 2023
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Changing what foods you eat can lower your cholesterol and improve the armada of fats floating through your bloodstream. Adding foods that lower LDL, the harmful cholesterol-carrying particle that contributes to artery-clogging atherosclerosis, is the best way to achieve a low cholesterol diet.
    Who talks this way in nutritional science unless there's an agenda, and right in this link they say a vegetarian diet is the best way to achieve cholesterol nirvana, which they say is "a low cholesterol diet". They actually believe cholesterol causes heart disease. There's no such thing as a food that "lowers" cholesterol and if that was the case then people that didn't eat any foods with cholesterol would never and I mean never get heart disease, why, because according to them all you have to do is eat foods that don't have cholesterol. What a crock of steaming excrement.

What they're implying is replacing certain inflammatory foods that cause heart disease like sugar and ultra processed foods with whole foods, and specifically the ones they've highlighted in this link which I agree with but to say a certain food lowers cholesterol is not even close to reality, all a whole food can do is displace a food more likely to create a situation where the body needs to protect itself against any deleterious effects, like obesity, diabetes and hypertension, which all contribute downstream to atherosclerosis. their argument boils down to replacing some specific plant foods, like sugar and most UPF with other plant foods like beans and soy. Basically it's a battle of the good, the bad and the ugly plant based foods. So much for taking a side and referring to vegetarianism as a way to achieve better health when in fact nutrition is not a belief system where magic can happen, science doesn't work like that and it doesn't care how a particular institution or person feels, emotions aren't in the scientific method. :)
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

Who talks this way in nutritional science unless there's an agenda, and right in this link they say a vegetarian diet is the best way to achieve cholesterol nirvana, which they say is "a low cholesterol diet". They actually believe cholesterol causes heart disease. There's no such thing as a food that "lowers" cholesterol and if that was the case then people that didn't eat any foods with cholesterol would never and I mean never get heart disease, why, because according to them all you have to do is eat foods that don't have cholesterol. What a crock of steaming excrement.

What they're implying is replacing certain inflammatory foods that cause heart disease like sugar and ultra processed foods with whole foods, and specifically the ones they've highlighted in this link which I agree with but to say a certain food lowers cholesterol is not even close to reality, all a whole food can do is displace a food more likely to create a situation where the body needs to protect itself against any deleterious effects, like obesity, diabetes and hypertension, which all contribute downstream to atherosclerosis. their argument boils down to replacing some specific plant foods, like sugar and most UPF with other plant foods like beans and soy. Basically it's a battle of the good, the bad and the ugly plant based foods. So much for taking a side and referring to vegetarianism as a way to achieve better health when in fact nutrition is not a belief system where magic can happen, science doesn't work like that and it doesn't care how a particular institution or person feels, emotions aren't in the scientific method. :)

Talking about science doesn't convince anyone on here, because human tendency is to look at study results they don't like and say "nope, they're wrong" and look at the study results they agree with and say "look!!! See!!! Science says it's true!!!!" This includes you, me, and everyone else.
  • neanderthin
    edited November 2023
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Talking about science doesn't convince anyone on here, because human tendency is to look at study results they don't like and say "nope, they're wrong" and look at the study results they agree with and say "look!!! See!!! Science says it's true!!!!" This includes you, me, and everyone else.

Yes absolutely, we're all on a spectrum of discovery, some more than others. Unfortunately the science that your referring to is observational (epidemiological) mostly using Nhanes which is then used to establish a set of results and guidelines. The basic problem with this, for example, is you can conduct 100 studies by different institutions or interest groups like pharma, food companies or any lab that needs further data to support their work mostly for funding reasons by simply implementing a set of confounders that will show that work favorably, and because this is easily manipulated the results are a forgone conclusion and get 100 different results, easy peasy. It's why one day we'll see eggs are good and the next we're going to die if we eat more than one a week. It basically comes down to money. People rely on those pharma, food and gov't to direct them properly, which hasn't worked out too well so far and it's in the best interest for everyone to do their own n:1 experimentation to see what works for them, I mean even PCP haven't got a clue about nutrition and are basically there to prescribe medication. The sooner people begin their own journey of discovery the better off they'll be. Unfortunately the takeaway is to question everything and in there lies the problem, we need to know certain things (basic truths) and nutrition is daunting, no doubt about it. imo.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Well, for an n=1, one friend recently reduced his LDL cholesterol from 200 to 90 just with dietary changes. He still eats chicken, but stopped eating red meat. He added a bunch of the foods from the Harvard Health link. He did not lose weight (was not trying to) or exercise more.

I've reached out to another friend, but she just made dietary changes this year and I don't think she's been retested yet.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Well, for an n=1, one friend recently reduced his LDL cholesterol from 200 to 90 just with dietary changes. He still eats chicken, but stopped eating red meat. He added a bunch of the foods from the Harvard Health link. He did not lose weight (was not trying to) or exercise more.

I've reached out to another friend, but she just made dietary changes this year and I don't think she's been retested yet.

Probably the beans, I hear they're good for the heart. :)
  • neanderthin
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Anyway on a more serious note, blood cholesterol levels with people with heart disease will show up across the whole spectrum but the majority of time their cholesterol levels would be considered normal to low. The blood markers that indicated and predict atherosclerosis or increased calcium in our arteries better are circulating triglycerides, our HDL level and our C-reactive protein, basically our systemic and chronic inflammatory markers which heart disease is caused from and not dietary cholesterol.

Cholesterol and an LDL particle are two totally different things, one is actual cholesterol, either ingested from food or manufactured by the liver and most is made in the liver, around 80% and up, the other is a lipoprotein (Low Dense Lipoprotein) that carry nutrients to the body, basically a capsule and one of the many nutrients that get transported around in those lipoproteins (capsules) is cholesterol and the level of oxidated LDL to do actual arterial damage doesn't need to be very high.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Yes absolutely, we're all on a spectrum of discovery, some more than others. Unfortunately the science that your referring to is observational (epidemiological) mostly using Nhanes which is then used to establish a set of results and guidelines. The basic problem with this, for example, is you can conduct 100 studies by different institutions or interest groups like pharma, food companies or any lab that needs further data to support their work mostly for funding reasons by simply implementing a set of confounders that will show that work favorably, and because this is easily manipulated the results are a forgone conclusion and get 100 different results, easy peasy. It's why one day we'll see eggs are good and the next we're going to die if we eat more than one a week. It basically comes down to money. People rely on those pharma, food and gov't to direct them properly, which hasn't worked out too well so far and it's in the best interest for everyone to do their own n:1 experimentation to see what works for them, I mean even PCP haven't got a clue about nutrition and are basically there to prescribe medication. The sooner people begin their own journey of discovery the better off they'll be. Unfortunately the takeaway is to question everything and in there lies the problem, we need to know certain things (basic truths) and nutrition is daunting, no doubt about it. imo.

I was referring to science as a whole.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,931 Member
    Options
    Did I miss it? You said you were trying to keep your dietary cholesterol low? Generally accepted cutoff is 300 mg. Anything under is good. My experience-- eat an egg and I'll go over. No egg, I'm under. No matter how much meat I eat. No matter if I eat baked goods with eggs in them. (But I don't eat many baked goods, no pies, etc. Not my thing) no matter if I have cream in my coffee.
  • MKWXIII
    MKWXIII Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Any vegan source of protein has zero cholesterol, beans, greens, soy, meat alternatives, etc! 😁
  • neanderthin
    Options
    The question isn't framed properly. It's not the fact that LDL exists but how does it get into the arterial wall and cause damage. How does it end up where it should not be, that's the disease etiology and not the fact that LDL exists. The real question is what causes lesions below the endothelium layer and the medial space which normally have nice tight junctions and everything working perfectly the way it should and LDL's are destined to go where they're originally intended, to all cells throughout the body. Chronic inflammation is what causes these lesions within the arterial walls and manifest creating a gap, a space and with the help of our immune system the body tries to repair those lesions and the fire starts there, and not because LDL's exist, they will always exist and be transported throughout the body whether someone has heart disease or not. What causes chronic inflammation is the real question and it's again medicating the symptom, cholesterol and not addressing the cause, inflammation, typical western medicine.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.
    Maybe I should have given more info but the question was getting long! I do workout approx 5 hours per week doing CrossFit, walk average of about 8000 steps per day and ride my road bike (1900 miles thus far in 2023).
    I was a smoker for many years and obese as well but changed lifestyle and lost my weight 5 years ago and began working out regularly then. That’s likely the root of the high calcium score.
    I ran the examiner calculator listed above and came up with 167 G protein but it said up to 251 G may be beneficial. So I don’t think my 175 minimum is out of line- especially given my age. My body has a little more muscle than average at my weight.
    I’m doing most of the other things- consuming at least 35 g/day of fiber and eating fresh or frozen fruits and veggies.
    Should probably lose 15 lbs of pure fat so maybe 20 gross and lose a little muscle but just can’t seem to hit the protein without saturated fat going over.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Thanks all.
    Maybe I should have given more info but the question was getting long! I do workout approx 5 hours per week doing CrossFit, walk average of about 8000 steps per day and ride my road bike (1900 miles thus far in 2023).
    I was a smoker for many years and obese as well but changed lifestyle and lost my weight 5 years ago and began working out regularly then. That’s likely the root of the high calcium score.
    I ran the examiner calculator listed above and came up with 167 G protein but it said up to 251 G may be beneficial. So I don’t think my 175 minimum is out of line- especially given my age. My body has a little more muscle than average at my weight.
    I’m doing most of the other things- consuming at least 35 g/day of fiber and eating fresh or frozen fruits and veggies.

Should probably lose 15 lbs of pure fat so maybe 20 gross and lose a little muscle but just can’t seem to hit the protein without saturated fat going over.

A few years back, I kept an eye on my saturated fat for about 8 months and didn't have an issue staying within the MFP defaults for sat fat if I:

1. Greatly reduced consumption of cheese and butter (both straight and in baked goods.)
    2. Eliminated liverwurst, sausage, bacon, and other high sat fat meats.
    3. Eliminated coconut.

To meet my protein goals: I used chicken breast for my primary source of animal protein. I also got protein from fat free cottage cheese. I can't remember if I switched from low fat Greek yogurt to FF Greek yogurt or not. I do prefer low fat. I also eat legumes regularly.

We might be able to suggests swaps for you if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings