Inverted rows gruelling back pain

Options
The problem isn’t the actual row itself but the shoulder blades or infraspinatus muscles and upper traps

Try and warm them up first and realise there’s gonna some pain but these are searing hot spots very tender to touch
What exercises will give stability and activate these areas safely so it doesn’t feel like backs been whipped with steel cables
Thanks

Replies

• kayafit37
    kayafit37 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Home not gym equipment resistance bands etc
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Doing just about any rear deltoid work SEPARATELY from back day: bent over rear laterals, facepulls, wide grip upright rows, machine reverse flyes, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Have you had an injury?

I would recommend you seek professional help about it.

In the interim, or if that isn't possible, I'd suggest you try face pulls and one arm bent over rows instead. The face pulls will be lower weight than your inverted row, likewise the bent over row where you can start as light as needed, and the bent over row will get you a nice full range of motion.

If you don't have access to cables for face pulls, you can wrap some weight in the middle of a large towel, then bend over and I suggest leaning with your butt against a wall for extra support.