Why cant i see any results?

Options
Okay so I eat clean (between 1400-1600 calories) and have one cheat meal a week and I do cardio and ab excercises. But my abs are not coming through! I mean I dont even have a flat stomach. What am I doing wrong? I know you have to cut down overall body fat percentage but I thought that is what I was doing. And yes i really do eat clean and dont understimate my calories

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You probably need to start weight lifting. Cardio alone is generally not enough to cut BF% down to where you can actually see muscles. Oh and ab exercises really only strengthen your abs, they don't help make them visible. In fact, I've noticed when I do mostly cardio, my weight goes down, but my BF% barely moves (losing muscle mass, I guess). On the other hand when I do strength training and a little cardio, my BF% seems to go down faster.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    You are 5'5 and 115 lbs.
    there is no way you need to lose weight.

At yor size, you should be looking at body recomp than losing weight. Abs exercise won't get you abs.

Get a good heavy lifting program. Check out the group eat, train , progress.
  • fitgirlforlife1
    Options
    what do you mean by body recomposition? And does using the weight machines count as weight training? Or are they not effective. I dont know how to do anything else and cant afford a personal trainer
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    have you tried shopping?

I wasn't really seeing any either, until I went shopping. I could not believe the sizes :love: :love: :love: I was choosing
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm far from a pro, but I would say if your weight is low and in a healthy range, what that means is that now you need to build muscle. Losing weight is great, but if there is not muscle (or minimal) it just won't show. I'm not all into the abs thing, but many of my friends ARE and they say their trainers always tell them that it isn't about the number on the scale, it's about the way they are proportioned. And the best way to work that to your advantage is to have muscle. So, maybe what you should do is cut back on cardio and up the weights. Maybe even find some boards on here and see if you can find suggestions for a weight program that would help you to get that cut look if that is what you are looking for. Your weight may go up a little, but you'll look completely different. In a GOOD way. I have a friend who went into weights who weighs the same as she did in high school, but she's like a size 3 instead of an 8! The distribution and use of the muscle is more important than pretty much anything else. Cause you can be skinny and still look like butt without muscle. But then again, we all have our 'ideal' shape in our own heads. Hope that helped and wasn't too much rambling. lol
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I agree with weights :-)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    what do you mean by body recomposition? And does using the weight machines count as weight training? Or are they not effective. I dont know how to do anything else and cant afford a personal trainer

Recomposition is a slow process where you eat at maintenance, get enough protein, and lift weights in order to lower your body fat percentage. It's an option if you're on the verge of underweight but you still have a higher body fat percentage than you'd like. I'm doing it now, because I've still got some fat on my lower body but my upper body is getting too thin. Another option is bulking, but the recommendations I've heard is that it's better to wait to bulk until you're an intermediate lifter. I'm guessing that's somewhat a matter of opinion, but it makes sense to me. Especially since when you start lifting you'll be able to make a small amount of newbie gains without eating at a surplus.

Machines are not nearly as effective as free weights because they don't make you work your stabilizing muscles and they don't always allow for natural movements. In college I did the machines for a year and never saw any results. I've gotten more benefit from a few months of compound lifts. Get Starting Strength or Stronglifts, watch the form videos over and over again, and start lifting light until you're confident with your form.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Body recomposition is where you lose fat and gain muscle, and your weight stays the same or you might even gain a few pounds. Even though I still have about 50 pounds to lose, the last 6-8 months I have been working on recomposition vs actual weight loss.

I am within about 5lbs of the same weight in all these pictures. The grey tank top is the exact same top in ALL the pictures.

8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

8696528886_a515f0a1fa.jpg
    L to R: 4/13, 3/13, 11/12 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

The machines are OK, but cable machines are even better. Free weights ( dumbbells and barbells) are the best. The basic machines generally have ONE plane of motion, one movement that you make, so they only train one or two muscles. If you do the same exercise on a cable machine, the cable requires YOU to set the plane of motion, so you have to use some other little muscles to control the movement. Doing the same thing with dumbbells requires even MORE muscles. For example: If I am doing the bicep curl machine, I don't really even feel it. If I am doing a CABLE bicep curl, I feel it in my biceps. If I am doing a standing dumbbell bicep curl, I feel it in my biceps AND my lower back and my abs.

If you don't have the cash for a trainer, try looking for a female in the weight area, and asking her if she could show you how to do what she is doing.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You probably need to start weight lifting. Cardio alone is generally not enough to cut BF% down to where you can actually see muscles. Oh and ab exercises really only strengthen your abs, they don't help make them visible. In fact, I've noticed when I do mostly cardio, my weight goes down, but my BF% barely moves (losing muscle mass, I guess). On the other hand when I do strength training and a little cardio, my BF% seems to go down faster.

This
  • dannimirko1
    dannimirko1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Hey!

Far from an expert myself, and still working on my abs, but I would recommend superset free weights (dumbells/barbells) to help you gain muscle at this stage.

This website is awesome, best of all, for someone like you who says "I don't know what I am doing" there is video linked to every move, so you can watch each of those! :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw23.htm

The Superset workouts will be ace for you so for example

If doing superset work out 1 which is

Supersetting Workout 1:

This program focuses primarily on antagonist supersetting but includes a staggered superset.

Monday - Rest 1 Minute Between Sets.

A1: Full Squats - 4 Sets x 8 Reps
    A2: Stiff-Legged Deadlifts - 4 Sets x 8 Reps
    B1: Bench Press - 4 Sets x 8 Reps
    B2: Pendlay Bent-Over Rows - 4 Sets x 8 Reps
    C1: Barbell Curls - 3 Sets x 10 Reps
    C2: Weighted Dips - 3 Sets x 10 Reps
    Abdominal Work (Leg Raises, Decline Crunches)

You do A1, A2, A1, A2, A1, A2, A1, A2, B1, B2, B1, B2, B1, B2, B1, B2, C1, C2, C1, C2, C1, C2, C1, C2, Ab work.

Should take abut 30mins. I usually do 3 x sets of 12 though.

To judge what weight to use, the answer is for me, if it burns by 8/12 reps, its heavy enough. If I can get through 12 reps and think "that was ok" it's not enough.

Like i said, check the link, theres numerous superset workouts there, and they will work all your different muscle groups and they (mostly) all have link to a video showing you just what to do.

Good luck in the search for abs :)
  • fitgirlforlife1
    Options

Body recomposition is where you lose fat and gain muscle, and your weight stays the same or you might even gain a few pounds. Even though I still have about 50 pounds to lose, the last 6-8 months I have been working on recomposition vs actual weight loss.

I am within about 5lbs of the same weight in all these pictures. The grey tank top is the exact same top in ALL the pictures.

8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

8696528886_a515f0a1fa.jpg
    L to R: 4/13, 3/13, 11/12 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

The machines are OK, but cable machines are even better. Free weights ( dumbbells and barbells) are the best. The basic machines generally have ONE plane of motion, one movement that you make, so they only train one or two muscles. If you do the same exercise on a cable machine, the cable requires YOU to set the plane of motion, so you have to use some other little muscles to control the movement. Doing the same thing with dumbbells requires even MORE muscles. For example: If I am doing the bicep curl machine, I don't really even feel it. If I am doing a CABLE bicep curl, I feel it in my biceps. If I am doing a standing dumbbell bicep curl, I feel it in my biceps AND my lower back and my abs.

If you don't have the cash for a trainer, try looking for a female in the weight area, and asking her if she could show you how to do what she is doing.

Wow u look great! and thanks for the awesome answer. I am going to start using free weights
  • fitgirlforlife1
    Options

Hey!

Far from an expert myself, and still working on my abs, but I would recommend superset free weights (dumbells/barbells) to help you gain muscle at this stage.

This website is awesome, best of all, for someone like you who says "I don't know what I am doing" there is video linked to every move, so you can watch each of those! :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw23.htm

The Superset workouts will be ace for you so for example

If doing superset work out 1 which is

Supersetting Workout 1:

This program focuses primarily on antagonist supersetting but includes a staggered superset.

Monday - Rest 1 Minute Between Sets.

A1: Full Squats - 4 Sets x 8 Reps
    A2: Stiff-Legged Deadlifts - 4 Sets x 8 Reps
    B1: Bench Press - 4 Sets x 8 Reps
    B2: Pendlay Bent-Over Rows - 4 Sets x 8 Reps
    C1: Barbell Curls - 3 Sets x 10 Reps
    C2: Weighted Dips - 3 Sets x 10 Reps
    Abdominal Work (Leg Raises, Decline Crunches)

You do A1, A2, A1, A2, A1, A2, A1, A2, B1, B2, B1, B2, B1, B2, B1, B2, C1, C2, C1, C2, C1, C2, C1, C2, Ab work.

Should take abut 30mins. I usually do 3 x sets of 12 though.

To judge what weight to use, the answer is for me, if it burns by 8/12 reps, its heavy enough. If I can get through 12 reps and think "that was ok" it's not enough.

Like i said, check the link, theres numerous superset workouts there, and they will work all your different muscle groups and they (mostly) all have link to a video showing you just what to do.

Good luck in the search for abs :)

You are amazing. Thank you so so much! I have been looking for good weightlifting routines(and a website to describe them) and this is awesome.
  • fitgirlforlife1
    Options
    okay so another question. Do i have to start eating at a caloric surplus to start seeing results?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Y not do an intense fun program like hip hop abs or rev abs
    I love ab work and I suggest trying either a program like this
    Or just doing some strength training w or w/o weight in the gym

Facebook.com/(removed)

Spamming the board with your sales site for beachbody is against TOS.
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    How close to your goal weight are you? You may be within 10 pounds, and the last ten pounds are the worst.

Are you getting enough sleep? You need at least 8 hours, and insufficient sleep makes it harder to lose weight!!

How long have you been on your diet? It takes time.

Check WebMD for your ideal weight, calories and BMI!!

Good Luck!!
  • dannimirko1
    dannimirko1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

You are amazing. Thank you so so much! I have been looking for good weightlifting routines(and a website to describe them) and this is awesome.

Hey seriously, no problem. I will friend add you, feel free to ask for advice anytime! d