Liver issues?

Options
I'm wondering who else out here has had liver issues, and whether your doctor established them as a cause or effect of your weight. I'm just shy of 25, non-smoker, don't drink, but I've been having stomach issues since starting college and just recently they've gotten so bad that I went to my new GP for help, and have since been sent for two rounds of blood tests and a liver ultrasound (results pending.) I'm 5'3" and 250, with about 60 pounds of that in just the last two and a half years.

My previous doctor (dropped him about a year ago) sent me for the same liver panel and told me that my liver enzymes were high because I was fat. My current doctor looked at this test and thinks I'm fat because there's an issue with my liver. I dropped the old doctor because of unrelated issues, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Replies

• kiracody
    Options
    I have had a TON for stomach issues. I have even had an endoscopy with a tissue sample of my stomach thinking I was possibly gluten sensitive. I just went to urgent care the other day with severe side/stomach pain (don't usually cry from pain as I have fibromyalgia and I sure did cry!). They did a ton of tests and said I have a fatty liver after they did a cat scan. I also had high liver enzymes. This said that is what causes the pain, but shouldn't be causing my other tummy issues. I have been having nausea and stuff for three or four years now. they said if I lose weight I shouldn't have the pain or fatty liver anymore. I am thinking that the pain causes my nausea and things, but who knows... I hope this helps.
  • kiracody
    Options
    OH! and my ultrasound didn't even show it. the ct did. they said it was a result of weight gain. Stupid bipolar meds made me gain SUPER weight. since I've been on Abilify I have gained like 60 pounds in 4 years or so.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I hadn't even thought my meds might be interfering. I've been on Sertraline for about 18 months. Thanks, Kira, you've given me some good questions to ask at my next appointment. (Just got a call back - my liver ultrasound came back normal but I'm going in for another round of "how many times do we have to puncture you to get a full vial of blood?")