Should i lower my calories

Options
So I lost a couple of pounds a 6 weeks ago but since then nothing. Im quite early on my journey so i dont think its a plateau. Anyway I am currently on 1400 calories to lose a pound a week . Even when i was losing it was just half a pound a week. Should I move to 1200 calories to lose 2 pounds a week n then maybe lose 1 pound. Im very good with tracking and stick to calories. I usulally weigh on a thursday but had a cheeky weigh in this morning showing a one and half pound gain. Im seriously h thinking about just goving up.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options
    Can I ask you a few questions?
    * How often do you weigh yourself?
    * over what period of time did you lose the couple of pounds, and how much? Is there really no chance at all for 6 weeks?
    * have you started a new exercise regime, been on a vacation or flight, or sick? Menstrual cycle? lots of stress?
    * How precise is your calorie measurement? Do you use a foodscale or cups and spoons? Do you eat out a lot?
    * Do you mind sharing your current stats?

Btw, good job in not choosing the highest weightloss goal from the start <3
  • shazia20
    shazia20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Can I ask you a few questions?
    * How often do you weigh yourself?
    * over what period of time did you lose the couple of pounds, and how much? Is there really no chance at all for 6 weeks?
    * have you started a new exercise regime, been on a vacation or flight, or sick? Menstrual cycle? lots of stress?
    * How precise is your calorie measurement? Do you use a foodscale or cups and spoons? Do you eat out a lot?
    * Do you mind sharing your current stats?

Btw, good job in not choosing the highest weightloss goal from the start <3

@yirara i usually weigh once a week first thing in the morning
    For aprox 6 weeks i initially was losing half a pound inly but last 2 weeks not even that
    No vacation or new exercise
    Menstrual cycle due next week
    Im very precise with my calorie counting. Use scale spoons the lot
    Dont eat out
    Currently weigh 13 stones 3 poinds
    Height is 5 foot 4
    Am 37

• AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    For me, It would depend on my health status and how much weight I had to lose. I am pretty short so I lose weight on 1200-1500 calories, but very slowly. If it's just 10-15 pounds, and it's not causing you any health problems, I'd say it's better to go in the upper range. If I get back problems and asthma, etc. I'd be more strict about sticking to 1200 to lose weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Stay at 1400.

Lots of things cause weight loss stalls, and you will start losing again. Sometimes it happens in a 'whoosh' of several pounds. Hang on.

Weight loss isn't a steady line downwards...we need @cwolfman to post his graph of weight loss...

If you had been stepping on the scale every day you would have likely seen some ups and downs. Once a week weigh-ins are problematic for a lot of reasons.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are RARE since you'd have to be doing EXACTLY the same routine for 6 weeks or more with no weight movement. STALLS are common because weight loss isn't linear and somewhere in a day or during the week, something was different (IE harder exercise, ate off plan a little, lack of sleep, etc.)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png