No Gallbladder- struggling to GAIN weight

Options
Hi All,

This is a long one so if you want to move on, I will understand. I have a unique situation so I am providing a lot of details. Good in gets good out! If you care to read- grab a coffee and have at it. If it matters, I really would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

My gallbladder was removed a few years back. I am mostly good. I then got serious about health- was 215 lbs. and not fit and older. Now I am a lean 160 lbs. BMI 21. I hit the gym 3-4 days a week and I run- ran fastest mile recently and sprint up to 10 mph. I have read many books and really dialed in my nutrition. My BP is 98/75- recent physical and numbers were very good- and I feel great...so that's all the "good."

My issue is I think that I am a bit too lean. 6'1" 160 lbs. on a good day. I was honestly fine with my new lean self, but I get regular comments about it- even embarrassing comments at a recent party, across the table from strangers, with a concerned look..."I hope this is intentional." "Wow, you are thin." "Are you OK?" "How much do you weight?" Well intended, but hurtful...especially since I work hard to be fit and eat really, really well. As an aside, in society, men are supposed to be big and strong so there is that.

My doctor is not concerned since I am technically, "In the healthy range" and all other numbers are fine. I also realize that our lens in America is a bit warped. We are use to seeing very heavy people and that sets a baseline for perception. In some countries, my weight would be fine. Compared to many friends who are sadly obese, I look paper thin. I think it makes them uncomfortable honestly. These same people have BP of 170 and BMI's over 35...and they are calling ME out. There is some irony there.

I am using this website as a tool to gradually increase calories. I felt like I was eating plenty- and energy rich, super foods like Wild Salmon, Pastured Eggs, Garlic, Avocados, Ghee, Walnuts, (no fruit, no dairy), low carb, etc. Yet, MFP is telling me that I am not eating quite enough.

It is all little confusing. In the nutrition world, they suggest less is often healthier. Don't eat to eat- only if you are hungry. I can eat two nutritionally dense meals and feel very satisfied for the day. Experts also rave about intermittent fasting. I tried that a year ago- just to be metabolically healthier- not to lose weight. I accidentally dropped 10 lbs. That is when I feel like this issue happened. The reason is that I have been strangely unable to put back even a pound- even if I run less, or take the week off and eat more on purpose. Not a single pound. I can hit a buffet after a hike- eat my heavy friends under the table, and literally wake up thinner. I look fine and feel mentally better at around170 lbs.-175 lbs. Not at 160 lbs...some days 156 lbs.! My doc will not do a fat absorption or micro nutrient testing- she said it is not covered or not even offered. Since I don't have a GB, it is a concern. I tried taking digesting enzymes but they did not seem to make much difference and they are costly- also out of pocket. Insurance will not cover. Digestion is fairly regular- but I can tell, I do not always "fully" absorb fat. That must impact absorption of fat soluble vitamins. For those of you with this issue- you already know how we tell so I will spare the details- but we can see it.

My apprehension to eat a ton of food is that I fear further health issues- like pancreatitis. I don't want to ever relive that pain. They say to watch fats after the GB is removed. I seem to digest mostly ok. Sometimes it gets a little sore- lower right side, but not too bad- maybe just scar tissue? I am just a little confused. For the time being, I am slightly increasing my overall calories. I was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience and/or has any tips or advice to share. Maybe I should lift harder- my goal is really to gain muscle and health- not fat. Just odd that I cannot gain a single pound. That never happened to me in my life- ~5 lbs. up or down was never hard to do in any given week.

Thanks!
Tagged:

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I never had any problem with digestion after my gallbladder was removed. Deep fried foods went down just fine... I also relate to your hearing things like "Are you okay?" being at a lighter weight. Having recently dropped a bit of weight, I was getting the same comments. Rather irritating...

I can almost feel the weight come back on because I felt like I had this giant green light to EAT! So it's ongoing to keep track of calorie intake (though I don't log anything these days), reminding me that green lights will always turn yellow. Sounds like you're doing the sensible thing in gradually increasing calories.
  • MoabFit2024
    MoabFit2024 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, I am trying. Just odd that I cannot gain even 1 lb. literally. I am glad you are doing well. I would never eat friend foods though! :D I love eating healthy- lot's of energy and being lean is good- just not quite this lean! All I want is 5-10lbs. When I plug that into MFP, it has me eating ungodly amounts of food. I will eat "more" but not what it is suggesting. Again, I want muscle- not fat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    If you're calorie counting, you should know how many calories you're eating and holding steady. If you're not calorie counting, but plan to, why not start and get that baseline calorie needs number based on your current eating routine? As a male, 4-6 weeks should be enough data to see reasonable averages.

Reading between the lines of your post, I suspect - perhaps incorrectly - a bit of anxiety about possible over-eating. I'd observe this: When eating intuitively, based on perceived appetite/hunger, many of us tend to over-eat, but a few tend to under-eat. Perhaps you're on the borderline of the latter?

If weight is holding steady, gaining (even gaining muscle) is going to require eating more calories. It may require pushing a bit beyond intuitive appetite.

If you log for that 4-6 weeks, you'll know whether you're higher than average in calorie needs, lower than needs, or spot on. (Just FTR: I turned out to be materially higher in calorie needs than average for my demographic, despite my problem being over-fatness rather than the reverse. I'd stupidly assumed I had a "slow metabolism", being hypothyroid, athletically active, yet still substantially overweight. I was wrong.)

Once you have that personal track record, you can adjust your calorie intake upward incrementally from where you are now. Adding 250 calories daily should result in about a half-pound gain per week, which seems a reasonable minimum for a man with a good progressive lifting routine and adequate nutrition (especially but not exclusively protein). Even 500 might be fine, depending on how you feel, but the 250 would IMO be a reasonable experiment (i.e., for another 4-6 weeks, then evaluate.)

For what it's worth, I had my gallbladder out during weight loss. It made zero observable difference in my calorie needs. I recognize that some have diarrhea after gallbladder removal. Bile acid malabsorption can happen, but isn't super common AFAIK. I don't know where you are, but I'm surprised that you weren't able to get at least blood tests for vitamin D, since deficiency is fairly common in even semi-Northern latitudes.

Best wishes!
  • MoabFit2024
    MoabFit2024 Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Thank you. That all makes sense. I am lifting and running, so I am increasing my calories somewhat. Yes, I have a little, I think reasonable apprehention, some may call anxiety about hurting myself by eating more fat then my body can handle. I do not want pancreatitis. I was going a little easy on calories- which however most say is the healthiest way to go. It became an easy habit. Now, by all means, I eat great and plenty- Wild Salmon, Steaks, Avocado, Eggs- almost daily...but many days I will do 2 meals a day- they are very satisfying and full of good fats.

250-500 calories more seems very reasonable. Glad you are feeling fine after your surgery.

My doc did test for D- it was fine. I also take Cod Liver Oil + K2. It is better then a D3 pill. I take Magnesium Glycinate and NAC also. My physical was great. Only issue is I am light. Too light with no luck gaining even 1lb. in over a year. It was never like that.

Thanks for sharing your valuable thoughts- much appreciated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    I think you mentioned preferring higher fat and lower carb on another thread.

I'd suggest not fearing nutrient-dense carbohydrate foods as contributors to your diet, like fruits, veggies, whole grains. To some extent, carbohydrates are protein-sparing, so keep protein available for your muscle-building efforts, plus can energize workouts.

If you're anxious about increasing fats still further, nutrient-dense carbs would be an option to consider, and food sources of micronutrients are especially useful (vs. supplements) IMO . . . though I do take some supplements myself.

Just an alternative to think about. We're all different in our tastes and (to some extent) needs!
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

This is a long one so if you want to move on, I will understand. I have a unique situation so I am providing a lot of details. Good in gets good out! If you care to read- grab a coffee and have at it. If it matters, I really would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

My gallbladder was removed a few years back. I am mostly good. I then got serious about health- was 215 lbs. and not fit and older. Now I am a lean 160 lbs. BMI 21. I hit the gym 3-4 days a week and I run- ran fastest mile recently and sprint up to 10 mph. I have read many books and really dialed in my nutrition. My BP is 98/75- recent physical and numbers were very good- and I feel great...so that's all the "good."

My issue is I think that I am a bit too lean. 6'1" 160 lbs. on a good day. I was honestly fine with my new lean self, but I get regular comments about it- even embarrassing comments at a recent party, across the table from strangers, with a concerned look..."I hope this is intentional." "Wow, you are thin." "Are you OK?" "How much do you weight?" Well intended, but hurtful...especially since I work hard to be fit and eat really, really well. As an aside, in society, men are supposed to be big and strong so there is that.

My doctor is not concerned since I am technically, "In the healthy range" and all other numbers are fine. I also realize that our lens in America is a bit warped. We are use to seeing very heavy people and that sets a baseline for perception. In some countries, my weight would be fine. Compared to many friends who are sadly obese, I look paper thin. I think it makes them uncomfortable honestly. These same people have BP of 170 and BMI's over 35...and they are calling ME out. There is some irony there.

I am using this website as a tool to gradually increase calories. I felt like I was eating plenty- and energy rich, super foods like Wild Salmon, Pastured Eggs, Garlic, Avocados, Ghee, Walnuts, (no fruit, no dairy), low carb, etc. Yet, MFP is telling me that I am not eating quite enough.

It is all little confusing. In the nutrition world, they suggest less is often healthier. Don't eat to eat- only if you are hungry. I can eat two nutritionally dense meals and feel very satisfied for the day. Experts also rave about intermittent fasting. I tried that a year ago- just to be metabolically healthier- not to lose weight. I accidentally dropped 10 lbs. That is when I feel like this issue happened. The reason is that I have been strangely unable to put back even a pound- even if I run less, or take the week off and eat more on purpose. Not a single pound. I can hit a buffet after a hike- eat my heavy friends under the table, and literally wake up thinner. I look fine and feel mentally better at around170 lbs.-175 lbs. Not at 160 lbs...some days 156 lbs.! My doc will not do a fat absorption or micro nutrient testing- she said it is not covered or not even offered. Since I don't have a GB, it is a concern. I tried taking digesting enzymes but they did not seem to make much difference and they are costly- also out of pocket. Insurance will not cover. Digestion is fairly regular- but I can tell, I do not always "fully" absorb fat. That must impact absorption of fat soluble vitamins. For those of you with this issue- you already know how we tell so I will spare the details- but we can see it.

My apprehension to eat a ton of food is that I fear further health issues- like pancreatitis. I don't want to ever relive that pain. They say to watch fats after the GB is removed. I seem to digest mostly ok. Sometimes it gets a little sore- lower right side, but not too bad- maybe just scar tissue? I am just a little confused. For the time being, I am slightly increasing my overall calories. I was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience and/or has any tips or advice to share. Maybe I should lift harder- my goal is really to gain muscle and health- not fat. Just odd that I cannot gain a single pound. That never happened to me in my life- ~5 lbs. up or down was never hard to do in any given week.

Thanks!

Maybe adding a weight gain meal bar? Small enough to be a snack, but fairly nutrient dense.

For example, MET-Rx Big 100 Protein Bar has 32 grams of protein, 18 vitamins and minerals--but taste test these first.

Or you could add a Perfect Bar (18 grams protein). They usually taste slightly better.

I'm wondering if you found a meal bar or protein bar that you like, you could break bar up into three pieces. Since some are either sweet or nutty, you could have 1/3 of a bar after each meal. It would be an easy way to add calories and protein--without over eating.

Would that help?

L