Trying to do a "clean" bulk... so much food.... help!

Options

Replies

• hulksmash19833
    Options
    Micronized oats weight gainer easy to drink good calories add a few table spoons of peanut butter, nom nom nom.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If im trying to up my calories I love eating spoonfulls of organic peanut butter or I make a chocolate or strawberry rice pudding with brown rice mixed with protein powder, milk and eggs and it tastes so yum! Chia seeds are also high in calories too.
  • jordhenshaw
    jordhenshaw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same problem myself, I go the gym 5 times a week plus having an extremely active lifestyle doesn't help. This is the period that allows you to eat that extra chocolate bar, eat spoons of peanut butter, mix bowls of cereals,milk, protein powders eye together, enjoy it while you can.just remember not to exceed calories and make sure you're hitting protein and fat macros, eat as much carbs as you want to hit calories.
    Fats and carbs don't make you fat, calories do
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    'Clean' bulk means small surplus - you don't have to eat 'clean' all the time. That'd take all the fun out of bulking - just hit your macros :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!

Aw, it's too early for me, I just seem them and jump in :laugh:
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    When people say clean bulk they usually don't mean clean foods. They mean a very low caloric surplus, thus allowing the majority of the surplus to go into muscle. When you're in a surplus, your body has 2 choices to do with the extra calories, turn it into fat or turn it into muscle (basically). Your body can only make so much muscle effectively. This is opposed to a dirty bulk, in which you stuff yourself with as many calories as you can fill yourself with in hopes of putting on as much muscle and fat as possible. If you're in a 1000 calorie surplus, it doesn't matter if the foods you eat are "clean" or not, you'll be gaining quite a bit of fat along with your muscle.

That being said, aim for a 200-400 calorie surplus per day only. You should be gaining less than a pound per week on a "clean" bulk. If you're having trouble with eating 200-400 calorie a day surplus, then yes, eating things like avocados, cheese, full fat yogurt, peanut butter etc will help you get there.

What he said too!

Plus what I'm about to say!

Women should aim for 250 calorie surplus per day. Aim to gain no more than half a pound a week. We are limited to approx .25lb muscle gain a week. Eat sufficient protein, 100-125g per day and fill the rest with fat, carbs, twinkies whatevs! Of course eat lots of colorful fruit veg blah blah. Clean bulk= as little fat gain as poss.

I dropped my body fat to 15% before I bulked. Love the results at the top of the bulk, and at the bottom of the cut after. Different body. Good luck.

ZOMBIEEEEE
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Do you know the women who bulk group on here? Might be worth checking out.
    Lots of lovely ladies on there and I will be back once I start bulking again as well.

I usually see it this way when bulking:
    th?id=HN.608033095851380150&pid=1.7

Cause how on earth are you supposed to reach your calorie target when not eating chocolate and ice cream???
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When people say clean bulk they usually don't mean clean foods. They mean a very low caloric surplus, thus allowing the majority of the surplus to go into muscle. When you're in a surplus, your body has 2 choices to do with the extra calories, turn it into fat or turn it into muscle (basically). Your body can only make so much muscle effectively. This is opposed to a dirty bulk, in which you stuff yourself with as many calories as you can fill yourself with in hopes of putting on as much muscle and fat as possible. If you're in a 1000 calorie surplus, it doesn't matter if the foods you eat are "clean" or not, you'll be gaining quite a bit of fat along with your muscle.

That being said, aim for a 200-400 calorie surplus per day only. You should be gaining less than a pound per week on a "clean" bulk. If you're having trouble with eating 200-400 calorie a day surplus, then yes, eating things like avocados, cheese, full fat yogurt, peanut butter etc will help you get there.

Excellent response :drinker: . Would have said the exact same thing myself. You gain just marginally more muscle "dirty bulking" than you would "clean bulking", and the extra fat you put on can be at best, a setback when it comes time to cut, or at worse, can derail your entire fitness plan because you will become demotivated because it will look like you are actually in worse shape than when you started. Check out Omar Isuf's YouTube channel, he has a ton of great info on everything NOT to do on a bulk (mostly because he did all the bad things himself).

Highly recommend bulking at just 300+ your normal daily calorie needs. When you start to plateau (2-3 weeks of zero progress with lifting) then it is appropriate to push your calories up another 300. It normally takes 3-4 months to hit new plateaus.
  • BuildaBetterBody4
    Options
    Following...
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    please read this: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/bulk-and-cut/

honestly, make smoothies. whole milk with lots of fruit, protein powder(mass gainer?), peanut butter, ect. Semi-clean, and it's nutritionally sound.
  • Snypa1
    Snypa1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say it doesn't matter where the calories come from. This assumes your only goal is to bulk up and you have no consideration of your health. Even if you are only concerned about bulking then there is some thought that needs to go into where you get those calories from. You'l have better results if you don't spike you system with added sugar for example. If you do care about your health then clearly additional thought will want to go into where you get those extra calories from.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    No experience bulking, just want to throw some other high calorie food (but still healthy) suggestions your way. I'm sure it is tough hitting 2600 calories a day.

Full fat dairy
    Avocados (guacamole)
    Nut Butters
    Dark Chocolate
    Salmon
    Mackerel
    Coconut Milk
    Granola
    Quinoa

^This...calorie dense foods. You can also mix coconut butter into 'anything' (sweet/savory). Some people put it in their coffee - taste super good. Some granola's out there are super high calories 600 cal/1/2cup, etc.,

Sounds like fun...enjoy the feast:))
  • MJRicky203
    Options
    Try some supplements. Http://www.strongsupplementshop.Com has reasonably priced stuff. Even the stuff you can't find. I'm about to start a cycle of LMG and blockade from this site. Good luck.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Change snacks to meals and eat 6 times per day. You are looking to get around 400 calories per meal. For example what used to be my 10 am snack is now a 10 am meal (Meal #2)l: 8 oz ground turkey, 1/2 cup of rice, 1 cup veggies

Robert
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    No experience bulking, just want to throw some other high calorie food (but still healthy) suggestions your way. I'm sure it is tough hitting 2600 calories a day.

Full fat dairy
    Avocados (guacamole)
    Nut Butters
    Dark Chocolate
    Salmon
    Mackerel
    Coconut Milk
    Granola
    Quinoa
    Cheese

I totally agree accept maybe be careful with granola because they many times have quite a bit of added sugar. Find a place you can get local raw whole milk...it's so good for you and should really help. 2 cups a day will add almost 400 calories, good fats with CLA, lots of protein and calcium! Also coconut products, LOTS of coconut!
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Nut butters are your friend, high in cals and healthy fats. You can add add it to smoothies, have it on apples/bananas, toast..plenty of things!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When I think of clean bulking things like lean protein and wheat come to mind.

Chicken breast
    Fish
    Top Sirloin Steak
    Turkey breast
    >90% lean Beef
    Almonds
    Almond Milk
    Bananas
    Apples
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I only read this because I'm jealous of your problem :(
    I'm pretty sure I could put down about 2,000 calories in one trip to Chipotle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Drink more calories. Much less filling.