How to do you guys log in "crumbs"?

Options
For example, 12 chips is roughly 110 calories.

How would you log it if you only ate the crumbs or smaller pieces based on eyeballing it?

Replies

• pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm not that obsessed. If it bothers you don't eat the crumbs.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Crumbs have no calories. 😃

(But, yeah, weigh them if you're strict with logging.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    So much easier and quicker to use a scale, as well as more accurate for all chip sizes. Food scales only cost about as much as a good pizza, so I recommend getting one if you don't have one.

Put the open chip bag on the scale. Tare (zero) the scale. Grab or pour out a handful of chips, the amount of your serving. Put the bag back on the scale. The negative number is the amount you took out. Log that. No chip counting necessary.

You can do this with a jar of peanut butter, a carton of milk, a hunk of cheese: Zero, remove portion, log the number.

You can also build a food on the scale, like a sandwich: Plate on scale, zero. Add bread, log number. Zero again. Add mayo. Log number. Zero. Add meat. Etc. You can also do this when making soup, stew or anything where you put multiple ingredients in a bowl or pot.

Quick, easy, accurate.

• singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Weigh the crumbs. Most chip packages list the calories per ounce.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    Weigh the crumbs. I just had 12 grams of John Soules fajita steak. Talk about crumbs! I want meat!
  • archbones1
    archbones1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think logging crumbs in the long term is sustainable, especially if you want to weigh everything! I would guesstimate for things like that.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    There’s easily an ounce or two of crumbs and broken chips in the bottom of every bag of potato chips or pretzels.

If you don’t weigh and log them, you’re fooling yourself, and sabotaging your success.

However, I can happily play the fool and often do!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    I always weigh it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I guess this is something for everyone t o decide - how much leeway to give yourself on not weighing every crumb or low calorie thing

the important thing is results, not the exact method of achieving them.

so, if you are skipping weighing a few crumbs of chips, lettuce leafs, tomato slices, little tastes etc - and your weight is doing as planned - ie losing/gaining/ maintaining as expected - then keep skipping doing so.

If your weight is not doing as planned - particularly the common lament of "I am weighing everything but still not losing" - then tighten up your logging to pinpoint any problems or oversights.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale will eliminate the uncertainty.