Mushroom replacements? No fun fungi.

Options
I don't eat a whole lot of meat but I find lots of recipes use mushrooms instead. I hate mushrooms! What are some other good alternatives?

Answers

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are often used in meatless recipes to provide a "meaty" texture and umami. There are far better plant proteins. And if you eat dairy, eggs, and fish, those are more efficient sources of protein.

I like mushroom flavor but not texture, so I will cook with mushrooms, and pick them out :lol:

If you want different sources of umami, here's a resource:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/umami-foods

For proteins, scroll past the meats in the doc in this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    It's called vegetarian or vegan, maybe look into some of those cookbooks. I understand soy and their by products are used a lot.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    What do you dislike about them: Flavor, texture, or both?

If it's the texture you dislike, then kshama's suggestions about umami should be useful.

Another option would be to powder them. Mushroom powder tends to be expensive, sold mostly as a seasoning. An alternative is to buy dried mushrooms, and pulverize them to powder in a food processor or blender. They need to be fully dry. If they're not, dry them fully in a low oven, or very cautiously in increments in a microwave (they can burn rather suddenly). Another option would be to puree whole regular mushrooms. I haven't tried that (because I like mushrooms), but my first guess would be to sauté or roast them, then puree.

If it's the flavor that bothers you, one option would be chunks of roasted eggplant. They bring a little umami when roasted, and maybe a bit similar texture.

If you dislike both the flavor and texture, I think you can just leave them out, but (as a vegetarian) I'd suggest considering other umami elements to get a well-rounded flavor in the dish.

I don't think of them as a huge protein source, so I won't delve into that. The thread kshama suggested for protein ideas is great, though.

ETA afterthought: If you don't like the flavor, some of the canned seitan chunk type of things (from an Asian grocery) have a mushroom-ish texture. I'd go with canned rather than dried. There is protein in it, but it's not essential amino acid complete. It needs to be complemented with something that has more lysine. Also, if you're gluten sensitive, don't eat it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I feel you! I hate mushrooms. Not only that, I have a mild shrooms in the wild phobia, and going out in autumn is a bit eeek for me🤢I love cookbooks and have several vegan ones. I would have bought some more, but looking inside these featured heavily on mushrooms. No thanks. In food, its the texture, taste and slippiness that I hate!