Runnin vs. Elliptical

Options
I usually use an elliptical for most of my cardio. I go on for 40 minutes and burn between 550 and 580! I've started running more and for the past week I've been running for 40 minutes straight. I only burn about 480 running for that amount of time going 5.8mph and sprinting at the end. Which one is a better workout? Do the calories matter? Which one is better for toning?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Elliptical machines are notorious for over-estimating the calories burned. Whichever gives you a higher heart rate and feels like more of a workout probably burns more calories. For most people, that would be running.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    nothing overestimates calorie burns like an elliptical

and if you are using the MFP elliptical calorie burned estimate on this site it wayyyyy overestimates - It was accurate when I was like 230 lbs
  • iggylove123
    Options
    So I should stick with running because ill actually burn more that way. Right?
  • polido54
    polido54 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor when I run and use the elliptical...The elliptical gives me nearly 100 to 150 calories more than my heart rate monitor. When I am using the HRM it always shows a higher burn for running, but I think you need to do what makes you feel like you are working the hardest. You should look into a heart rate monitor too!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    So I should stick with running because ill actually burn more that way. Right?

You should go with the exercise you like more. Or you can do both. You'll benefit either way. Working out should not be solely about calories burned, especially if that includes doing a workout you don't like.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Do the one you enjoy more.

I infinitely prefer running. What do you like?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Agree that you should do the one you like. The difference in calories isn't important at all. Neither is good for "toning"
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I usually use an elliptical for most of my cardio. I go on for 40 minutes and burn between 550 and 580! I've started running more and for the past week I've been running for 40 minutes straight. I only burn about 480 running for that amount of time going 5.8mph and sprinting at the end. Which one is a better workout? Do the calories matter? Which one is better for toning?
    At your weight, I'm skeptical you're burning that amount in 40 minutes. How are you figuring that?

Regardless, I find (using an HRM) that I burn about the same running as I do on the elliptical. The elliptical is easier on joints but I HATE being inside, so it's a last resort in bad weather. I always prefer running/walking outside.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Between running and the elliptical running is better for building muscle, although neither is as good as straight weighlifting. But you'll build some muscle by running, especially if you do hills and/or speed work, which tend to give your muscles a better workout than running at an even pace.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    How did you determine your running burn? An app or a HRM? I'm assuming your elliptical burn is a readout from the machine itself? An elliptical burn would depend on your speed and resistance, as well as your weight (hopefully the machine has a place for you to input that) ...

I love the elliptical, it does feel so much easier than running (which probably DOES mean it is burning less calories for me), but I also prefer it as I can hop on without much prep (I don't necessarily need a sports bra or other workout wear, on my machine in my basement I wear slippers instead of shoes ... I hate shoes). My machine does have a place to input my weight, I always stay above 6mph at a medium resistance. My machine says I burn about 200 calories per 20 minutes. My HRM does stay in the "zone" but comes back with a reading around 140-150 calories burned.

But I will DO the elliptical more than I run, so it is better for me. Elliptical is also easier on the knees. So it just depends on which you will actually do more, which you enjoy more!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    You should look into a heart rate monitor too!

This is an absolute must.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Agree that you should do the one you like. The difference in calories isn't important at all. Neither is good for "toning"

This^^^^

Also to add, it depends on what your goals are.

Sport - Fitness - Weight loss
  • RGv2
    Options
    Between running and the elliptical running is better for building muscle. But you'll build some muscle by running, especially if you do hills and/or speed work, which tend to give your muscles a better workout than running at an even pace.

No, steady state running isn't going to "build muscle".

I'll give you hills and sprints, but sprints/hills/biking have resistive aspects to them. That and you need to eat to supply the building blocks of building measureable mass.
  • iggylove123
    Options
    Personally I feel like running has "toned"my legs more. So I don't get where anyone comes from saying that you don't get leaner from running. I think I'll alternate. I enter my weight and age into the machine I use to get calories burned
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I enter my weight and age into the machine I use to get calories burned

Yeah, that's not going to be close to accurate.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I enter my weight and age into the machine I use to get calories burned

Yeah, that's not going to be close to accurate.
    Actually, I find that it is close. I use a HRM when I do cardio and the calorie burn I get from the machines is typically close to what my monitor says. The calorie burn in the MFP database is pure fiction.
  • Jlynn0116
    Jlynn0116 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All the runners I know are pretty lean, I'd love a "runners" body! I just prefer the elliptical, it's just more fun to me!
  • RGv2
    Options
    Personally I feel like running has "toned"my legs more. So I don't get where anyone comes from saying that you don't get leaner from running. I think I'll alternate. I enter my weight and age into the machine I use to get calories burned

Caloric deficit "toned" them and makes you leaner. Running adds to the caloric deficit, and sometimes can help maintain some of the muscle mass in your legs.

"tone" is a lowered BF%, revealing the muscles under the fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    do what youlike to do and do what you'll be consistent in doing. You should exercise for more than just the burn...keep in mind, those burns are just estimates...the elliptical in particular appears inflated to me...not to mention, there's not a ton of difference in RE to burn there between the two exercises...that difference is well within error margins.