Reflections

Options
Corina1143
Corina1143 Posts: 2,948 Member
How much did you weigh in high school, college, early adulthood? Were you happy with that weight? What is your goal now? How does it compare?

My bmi in high school until I was 30 was 22 to 23. I felt good, but didn't like full-length mirrors. I was bottom heavy, the fattest sibling, the fattest in my class. I would occasionally lose down to 21 bmi. I looked great, loved mirrors, but slept more, was always tired, my grades fell, etc. Fast forward to age 45 or so. My bmi was 36. Fast forward again til recently. Ive lost 2" in height. My goal was bmi = 24.99, just healthy range. Just about what i weighed in high school. Now that I'm getting close, I wonder where my happy spot will really be. The same weight as high school? Or the same bmi? Or can I go lower now? Do I want to? My calories have gone way down. So has my appetite. My body has changed drastically, but so has my opinion of myself. I'm now top heavy-shoulders, not bust. At 15 pounds more and 2" shorter, I'm proud and pleased with my body. My goal now is Sparkle! Energy! Happy!

What's your story?

Replies

• kminnucci
    kminnucci Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What a great question. I never really considered my entire life weight loss journey. I was 120 in high school, thinking about weighing that now seems absurd. I'm 5'5", it's doable I guess but wow.
    In college, 130's and felt fat. But what I would give to be 130 again. My goal is 150 right now. Maybe as I got closer it might change but loosing 50 pounds seems doable. I haven't been that weight since I was 30. Right before kids.
    I've bounced as low as 160 and as high as 205. I'm 57 so that's over a course of 27 years!!!
    When I see the charts recommending weights it seems so low to me after being at 200 for so long, wrapping my head around the lowest range seemed impossible but the reality is at one time 30 some years ago it was my number. Why can't it be my number again!
  • mareeya88
    mareeya88 Posts: 32 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I weighed 150 pounds (I'm 5'4") until I was about 27. Not super skinny but no visible fat that bothered me. Then I started gaining weight even though I eat pretty much the same, and now at 35 I'm at 270. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, but I think aging is what killed my metabolism.

Seriously, aging sucks!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,508 Member
    Options
    kminnucci wrote: »
    What a great question. I never really considered my entire life weight loss journey. I was 120 in high school, thinking about weighing that now seems absurd. I'm 5'5", it's doable I guess but wow.
    In college, 130's and felt fat. But what I would give to be 130 again. My goal is 150 right now. Maybe as I got closer it might change but loosing 50 pounds seems doable. I haven't been that weight since I was 30. Right before kids.
    I've bounced as low as 160 and as high as 205. I'm 57 so that's over a course of 27 years!!!
    When I see the charts recommending weights it seems so low to me after being at 200 for so long, wrapping my head around the lowest range seemed impossible but the reality is at one time 30 some years ago it was my number. Why can't it be my number again!

At 5’7”, I got within two pounds of my wedding day weight of 125, and was prepared to keep going because I’d felt heavy at 125 back in the day.

Weight sits very, very differently at 25 than it does at 58.

Even lifting weights several times a week, I still lost muscle. I looked like death warmed over. Thankfully, I had people in my life care enough to say “enough!” and encourage me to put some weight back on.

Be careful about fixating on a youthful weight. In retrospect, I was approaching a fine line between a perceived goal and an eating disorder, and I’m grateful something got said.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'd never want to go back to high school weight...for one thing, I'm a grown *kitten* man now and not a kid. I was borderline underweight in high school and skinny as a rail. This wasn't by choice, I did everything I could to gain weight at the time but just couldn't. I was a competitive track and field sprinter and jumper, wrestled, and did swim team and water polo in the summer and played a couple of years of football.

I went into the military after high school and was put on double rations in boot camp to get my weight up. When I went in I was around 138 Lbs and when I graduated 3 months later I was around 150 Lbs. During my 2 year military tour, I put on another 25 Lbs or so to 175 Lbs...this was mostly muscle and I still sat around 10% BF.

I was pretty much lean all through college and my 20s. In my 20s I rarely owned a car and walked and biked everywhere. I also worked in landscape construction in the summers and did warehouse stocking during the school year. I was also just active in general so never had an issue with weight.

I didn't have to lose weight until I got into my late 30s. At my best I got down to around 180 Lbs and 12% BF and maintained that for about 5 years. It took a lot of work and I was very engaged in endurance road cycling/racing which meant I spent about 100+ miles per week on my bike and 2-3x per week in the weight room. It was a lot and when COVID rolled around in 2020 I decided to "retire" and now my exercise is largely active recreation and my sweet spot weight wise for that is around 190 Lbs. I'm currently sitting at 200 Lbs and working towards 190 Lbs
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Male 5'7" 54 years old now.
    In high school I was around 130lbs.
    Then I met my Italian wife at age 17. I gained 30lbs! :(
    Then after marriage gained another 20lbs. uggg!!
    So there I was a 21 year old 30lbs overweight.
    Stayed that way for many years.
    Then I discovered running and exercise.
    dropped back to 150lbs 4 times now.

Currently hovering from 145 to 150 and couldn't be happier with myself.

The main difference now is I have cut way back on alcohol and really watch my calorie intake. Going to do my best to maintain current weight... :)

Cheers
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,915 Member
    Options
    • I was at a good weight for my age in high school.
    • There was a period after HS and before I joined the military where I was partying too much. I needed to lose about 10 pounds before graduating boot camp.
    • I lost way more that than in boot camp and tech school. I wouldn't want to go back to that weight.
    • I liked the weight I was 20 years ago/mid 30s when I was a full time yoga teacher, working out, and walking a lot as part of my life. That's my goal weight.
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can't say I knew what my BMI was or kept track of it much until later on in life. But my weight did fluctuate throughout.
    In high school I thought I was chubby, and I grew up in the 90s when those stupid low waisted jeans were in style so I was obsessed with being wafer thin.
    In my early 20s I actually got to be wafer thin but weirdly didn't workout and ate nothing but fast food. I guess hauling around 15 pounds worth of books and walking about a half mile from the parking lot to the other side of campus, and then taking several flights of stairs was all the exercise I needed. This was about the time I became self-conscious because I didn't have any curves.
    Then around my mid-20s I was going through a depressive state and put on a good deal of weight. Coupled that with starting a new job, starting my career, and then trying to figure out which anxiety meds worked for me, had me at the heaviest I'd ever been before.
    Then in my late 20s and into my early 30s was when I got heavy into fitness, and then endurance running and got down to around 98 pounds at 5'2". And I was eating a lot, but I was eating nutrient dense food that were leaner so I didn't get in enough calories to keep up with all my running. I was back to being insecure about being stick thin and started laxing on my diet, eating more calorie heavy foods and lifting more so my body filled out a little more. I think on the average I sat anywhere between 105-115lbs for most of my life, except that depression stage where I got up to about 160 pounds.
    Now that I'm in my 40s and have been running for some time now, I don't burn as much, and the weight is more stubborn but I sit at comfortable 115-120 for the most part. I've found that over the last 2-3 years weight disbursement has changed. I used to be mostly top to middle heavy, now the weight seems more evenly distributed between my bust and hips.
  • MujerVieja72
    MujerVieja72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Though I was bullied and made fun of by middle school for being overweight, at my short height thought , I've managed to stay below 170 all my life. Though at my height when i hit about 163, my BMI is consider right at the obese mark. Today I clocked in at 160.8. I have had quite a few periods of thinness throughout my life.

As of late, I don't experience the anxieties I used feel over my weight & appearance, but do want to try to get back down between 105-110. I know it sounds loq, but with my shortness it's still within healthy BMI limits.
  • IzzieD93
    IzzieD93 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I weighed about 116lbs when I was in secondary school (so when I was 16)
    When i was 17 I probably got to like 132 lbs.
    Then at 19 I got to my biggest weight of 158lbs.
    I'm 5ft 2. (Probably like 4ft 11 now... sucks as you age you shrink in size lol) and I have hips, all my weight goes to my hips so unfortunately I can struggle if I get past a certain weight with lower back pain.
    When I was 16 I saw myself as overweight and not fitting in with all the other girls as they were thin and I had hips. Major insecurities about it.

When I was 17 I was in an unhappy relationship, got out of that and managed to lose a tiny bit, again not happy with my weight.
    When I was 19 I got to my heaviest... I was 158lbs and struggling to be able to do anything really without being in pain. I couldn't see the weight gain (again I was in a relationship then and gained weight fast over a year) bad eating habits... I wish I was the size that I was when I was 16.
    Fast forward 10 years and at 30 (and not in that relationship anymore) I am now 119 lbs near the weight I was when I was a teenager.... I STILL see myself as overweight... I guess I can't let go of that image of when I was 158lbs, even though I've gone down in size in jeans and tops and feel much fitter... I'm still not happy.

Looking back I wish I wasn't so harsh in myself and also was more educated in food and exercise.... my anxiety doesn't help and played a big part in growing up... I do have a bit more confidence but my self love still needs some working on.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    edited January 24
    Options
    Female, 5 7" - smallish frame. 45 y/o.
    Honestly no idea about when I was in high school - as a kid, I never struggled with weight, I was always the scrawny one. Growing up I was homeschooled in a small town, so it wasn't something I was really faced with.
    I didn't pay much attention to it until I was in my 20's and working, dating, etc. I was generally okay with my weight (around 128), and generally felt good and strong, although I usually felt I could stand to lose a few pounds to feel more comfortable in a bikini (in my family, ANY extra weight goes straight to our midsection).
    While my weight went up a tad bit, well into my early 30's I was staying in the 125-132 range. If I got to the top end of that, I'd just cut back on the fast food and candy snacks, and the extra would drop.
    THEN, I got the dreaded "desk job" (well, or a job that had me mostly sitting on my butt all day). My weight rapidly rose into the 150's, and ever since I have struggled with it. At a high point I got up to around 166ish. Most of the time I've yo-yo'd between 150-159, with a couple dips into the 140's when I was religiously tracking and working out.
    The lowest I've seen with regular tracking and workouts was 139.8 in 2019. I was feeling good at the time, and much more confident with my weight. Finally started to see the saddle bags decreasing in size, and felt like I was within 5 or so pounds of where I would be happy with my level of "trim."
    Life, stress, and giving in, however, and that is now a distant memory.
    Earlier this year I was doing well, but fell off the wagon HARD over the late summer/fall/early winter, creeping over 160 again.
    Many other ares of my life I've sorted out, so my #1 goal this year is to get down to my goal weight once and for all, and make it how I am and live, not a temporary endeavor. For the past several years while it's been a goal, it's been lower on the list. This year, it takes the #1 spot.
    Not going to be easy. My appetite has never adjusted to what my body will currently burn. It's like it has never reset from when I had active jobs, and with a desk job there's just no way I can replicate the same energy expenditure. Working on some ideas to help increase the activity like an under desk treadmill, since burning enough to make up for the appetite seems to be key for me. When I'm active enough, losing weight is easy - it's like my appetite barely changes regardless of my activity (a little with cardio focused workouts, but still, not enough to blow my weight up).
    It's frustrating, because my choice is workout like a fiend (not sustainable) or be hangry all the time (also not sustainable) or figure out ways to mostly be moving most of the day (the most feasible with the proper stuff).
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    5'7" male
    High school weight around 130lbs.
    Then I met my Italian high-school sweetheart at age 15 gained 30lbs in one year. ugg!
    Got married to her and ballooned up to 180lbs. double UGG!
    Now I'm at 150lbs and happy with my weight.
    I should lose another 5 or 10 for bathing suit weather! :)