Menstrual cycle

So is this how it goes. I start my cycle every 3 weeks and out of them 3 weeks i feel awful for the 2 weeks and gain all the weight i have lost. So sick of this honestly. So lets say i lose 2 lbs week one lose 1 lb week 2 then week 3 i gain all of it back n the 4th week i just add another 1lb cos im so damn frustrated and blow by deficit.This is beginning to really take the biscuit now.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,835 Member
    There's something like mestrual depression. Have you discussed this with an Obgyn? There are ways to deal with this, both hormonal and non-hormonal. Nobody should be living with it.

Another possibility: you might be getting frustrated over waterweight fluctuations. Many women gain water weight (not fat) during parts of their cycle. And lose it again afterwards. I do take a birth control, but if I didn't it would look like this:

week 1: Start menstruation: gain 2-3lbs
    week 2: lose the excess water weight. Weight is back at zero
    week 3: no change
    week 4: no change

thus it's possible that you get worked up over gaining water weight and then go overboard and frustrated and kill the calorie deficit you had. Then you lose the excess water again and think: hey, this is working and you go on, and then you gain water weight again a month later, etc. Being aware of these normal fluctuations can help you deal with this.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,542 Member
    You might also want to look at your deficit, as too high a deficit can make the period cravings worse (ie quite a few women want to eat more and higher calorie food during their period, and running a high deficit can make the rebound worse). Also think about what you are eating - not just when you’re on. Too low protein makes the sugar munchies worse for me, and I do naturally want to eat more carbs the week before I’m on. What I eat in the weeks before I’m due on can have a big impact on what kind of munchies I get!
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    shazia20 wrote: »
    So is this how it goes. I start my cycle every 3 weeks and out of them 3 weeks i feel awful for the 2 weeks and gain all the weight i have lost. So sick of this honestly. So lets say i lose 2 lbs week one lose 1 lb week 2 then week 3 i gain all of it back n the 4th week i just add another 1lb cos im so damn frustrated and blow by deficit.This is beginning to really take the biscuit now.

Hi,

It sounds like the first part of the gain--is water weight. I used to put on 2 to 5 POUNDS of water weight during my period. It would drop about 2 days after the last day. I think the 2nd part is you are getting upset at this 'false' gain and then overeating, creating a never-ending cycle.

Do you take Midol? I know, I know...weird question. MIdol, unlike Advil, helps keep some of the water weight off, can offset mild mood issues during your period, and is a mild cramp pain killer. It might help lower some of the water weight gain. It's not cure all. But it might help you a little

Next time, give it a try. Try to stay on your calorie deficit even though it says you have gained. It is most likely water weight. It should drop right back off after your period. See if the Midol can keep some of the water weight off--it won't do it all---but it might help you see if it IS water weight. Midol will make you pee a dozen times--just FYI. But for me, it helped me feel better, reduced water weight, and took away my cramps/bloating. Not a miracle but it did help.

Midol (Complete) --Over the counter. You can google it.

Good luck!
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 90 Member
    I've dealt with the same type of cycle off and on for years but I think I've figured it out. I've done a lot of research on eating and exercising for my cycle. There are a lot of resources out there as far as what time of the month your body might be craving certain nutrients, and also what time of the month your body might need gentler excercise. I've been trying to 'honor' those feelings around the time of my period and eat/work out in a way that incorporates my menstrual cycle, instead of it just being something in the way of progress.

I do gain a couple pounds during that time but I know it will go away. I started using Libra, a weight tracking app, and I mark time periods in the app with a different color when I am on my period, and that way when I look at the chart I can see what caused a bump in weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited November 2023
    How old are you?

I agree with discussing this with your OBGYN. There are various options, depending on how old you are, if you're trying to conceive, if you never want children, etc.

I'm no longer menstruating, but when I did, I ate at maintenance when my appetite spiked premenstrually. Eating just a little more prevented me from eating pints of Ben & Jerry's blowing my deficit.

If this resonates with you, consider a lower weekly weight loss rate.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

d3ji83a6owu3.png

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

Do use a weight trending app such as Happy Scale (iphone) or Libra (Android) and focus on the trend, not the individual weigh-ins. I have Happy Scale and use the “Moving Average” as my official weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,715 Member

Others have given you really good advice about making sure your calorie deficit isn't extreme, maybe eating a little more (but below or at maintenance calories) if extra-hungry at some point in your cycle, and understanding that if calories/activity are on point, those sudden scale jumps and drops are just water weight (and sometimes the water weight will mask fat loss on the scale).

I'm going to speak to the bolded specifically: You're shooting yourself in the foot, and you know it. Nothing stops weight loss success so fully as not working on the weight loss. It takes patience and persistence. That's all about your attitude.

Stick. With. It.

That's completely in your own control, but you have to take the reins, take the responsibility, and control it. That gain in week 4 isn't something that "just happens", it's something you decide to do, if only by deciding not to take the actions that lead in a better direction.

If this sounds harsh, I'm sorry. I'd sincerely like to see you succeed. It takes knowledge and action, but it also takes changes in mindset an attitude. You have it in your power.

With respect to the water weight, I recommend reading this (especially the article linked in the first post):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

There's useful, reassuring information in there.

Best wishes: You can do this!
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 857 Member
    edited November 2023

viyb57s15mfs.gif

It’s hard right! I realize I under sell it and I’m not sure why. I gain about 5 lbs. Also, I agree with everyone, they’ve given exceptional advice.