Good cheap lunch’s I can bring to work?

Options
MiloAlborn
MiloAlborn Posts: 3 Member
I kinda live paycheck to paycheck so I need cheap options for food if anyone could help me out

Best Answers

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    MiloAlborn wrote: »
    I kinda live paycheck to paycheck so I need cheap options for food if anyone could help me out

Do you live near a Dollar Tree in US? Some good options there. But below I'll put together some cheap 1 pot meals.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    IF you don't want to use the leftovers or make any of the meals I listed, here are some grab and go cheap stuff from Dollar Tree.

DOLLAR TREE

If you go to the store, you can buy the individual packs for $1.25 each. Online it makes you buy a case--which no one wants. I hope you have a Dollar Tree near by.

Ramen Noodles $1.25 for 1 pack of 5.
    Pink Salmon Packs--$1.25
    Premade Chicken Salad with Crackers ready to go--$1.25

Nissin Teriyaki Beef-Flavored Original Chow Mein Meals, 4 oz. $1.25

Lemon Pepper Tuna Salad
    Buffalo Chicken Salad
    Microwavable Pot Pie $1.25 Each

WALMART
    BIG BURRITO Beef or Chicken $1.27 EACH

Deli Express Smoked Ham & Cheese Sandwich Wedge $2.69 contains 2 halves a sandwich. YOu could squeeze 2 meals out of it.

Tyson Fully Cooked and Breaded Spicy Chicken Patties, 1.62 lb Bag (Frozen)
    10 SPICY PATTIES. You could pre-cook and take it to work with a side of something. $6.97 a bag.

Banquet Chicken Pot Pie $1.18 Each

Michelina's Frozen dinners are $1.34 Each but honestly they aren't that good.

Banquet Spaghetti and Meatballs frozen meal-- $1.68.

KROGER

KROGER FROZEN FRENCH BREAD PIZZA $1.50 EACH

Kroger® Skillet Meals Beef Pasta $1.39. Make night before. Take in Tupperware.

Micheline's Frozen Dinners.

Canned chopped chicken $1.69

Kroger Eggs $1.39 to $1.69 1 dozen

Answers

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do leftovers from the previous evening or two or sandwiches.
  • MamaBear5445
    MamaBear5445 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Cheap vs. Easy vs. Delicious--- best to have all 3 in one go so that you never have to buy a lunch.
    I'm going to resound what everyone else has said --- leftovers are #1.
    If you don't want leftovers, we often have yoghurt (buy a big tub & put into re-usable containers for every day of the week in the fridge) and add granola at time of eating.
    Looking forward to reading more of other people's suggestions.
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Let's assume you do not have access to a microwave or a refrigerator at work, but do at home, and what you really want are cheap, easy, and convenient lunches -- but also healthy.

*Peanut butter and (anything, in moderation) sandwich and an apple.
    *Thermos of hot soup, especially if it's homemade and has vegetables in it. Five saltine crackers, or six Triscuits.
    *Single-serving Greek yogurt and some baby carrots. Greek yogurt has high protein bang for the buck, and if you get the sugar-free kind it will probably be under 100 calories. Also, it's satiating. Add a pack of sandwich crackers (cheaper by the big pack at a grocery store). Please, if you're on a budget, buy groceries, not vending machine food.
    *A cheese stick, half a package of the cheap lunchmeat (like Buddig's 2.5 ounce packs, but only if you're not worried about sodium), and two slices of bread. Maybe add a York peppermint patty for delight.
    *A huge healthy tossed salad, but leave off the croutons and minimize cheese. If you must add dressing, then have a separate tiny container of it, and dip your bites individually. Single serving of crackers of your choice. By all means, add 2-4 ounces of a lean protein if you have it.
    *At home, sauté some boneless chicken slices or other lean meat, season to your liking, and draw from it for sandwiches or salads through the week. I like pork tenderloin, too. Limit the fat and salt.
    *Also, make soup with lot of vegetables at home.
    *At home, microwave some sweet potatoes to grab and go. They are okay at room temperature, but better hot, and so good you really don't absolutely have to add butter or, well, anything. I eat them hot for breakfast, out of hand, as car food.
    *Two boiled eggs, four ounces of something veggie, four ounces of something fruity. And a tiny piece of cake or something that makes you feel happy.
    *Nature Valley protein bars make me happy. I watch for coupons and sales, and buy them in bulk at my warehouse store, where I can still, with a coupon, get them for about fifty cents each. I'm not saying go out and buy the ones that cost over a dollar each. A protein bar and some yogurt get me through.

Things like yogurt and salad will be okay in a lunch pack at room temperature for a few hours, really, but you could throw in an icepack if you are nervous.

**If it happens that you do have a refrigerator/freezer and microwave at work, buy some frozen vegetables. You can eat a whole 12-ounce bag of most broccoli mixes for about a hundred calories. I eat half a bag and that much microwaves perfectly in three minutes. Add protein if you have it, a side of yogurt if you don't have meat. You've had lunch for less than two dollars if you bought store brands.

• NoNameWonder
    NoNameWonder Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Homemade burritos. Meat is usually the most expensive ingredient of any meal. Delish Knowledge websites has a vegan lentil taco. I'm far from vegan but the way that recipe makes lentils is delicious and makes a cheap burrito filling.

Burritos with dry beans you cooked are also filling, affordable, and portable.

Potatoes are very economical. Make a big pot of chili, heavy on beans, light on meat with a baked potato (I like mine with salsa) is very affordable. But might require you to have a microwave to reheat.

Unfortunately eating economical often means eating the same thing all week.
  • cobalt108
    cobalt108 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to make Hummus, and a cucumber, cherry tomato and red onion salad w Greek style dressing and feta on a pita. Can add a little romaine if you have it, but not necessary. Keeps well in the fridge and much cheaper to make a big batch of your own hummus with chickpeas for the week. I don’t want the veggies to get soggy so I mostly chop/add them with the dressing while packing my lunch container for the day.

It’s also light enough that I don’t feel foggy from a heavy lunch. Feta can be expensive, but I’ve gotten it at Costco so it’s not so bad there. Maybe switch to a regular cheese stick
    If you prefer.

• Fitgoal90
    Fitgoal90 Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 12
    Options
    Homemade guac- avocado, tomato, chopped onion, jalapeno, squeeze of lime or lemon (whichever is handy), salt, tajin seasoning, garlic (powder or minced works) *Keep refrigerated/with cold pack in sealed container with plastic wrap pressed against the top of the guac to minimize browning*

Tuna salad- canned tuna, mayo, squeeze of lemon, chopped onion, chopped pickle, splash of pickle juice, garlic powder, salt, pepper *Eat as sandwich, with crackers, or over bed of baby spinach*

Pasta salad- pasta, mayo, squeeze of lemon, tomato, spinach, chopped onion, chopped broccoli, garlic, salt, pepper, italian seasoning

Protein "snack plate"- hummus, broccoli, crackers, boiled egg, cherry tomatoes, cheap lunch meat, string cheese

Overnight oats with Greek yogurt- oats, greek yogurt, milk, fruit of choice, cinnamon, touch of brown sugar

Greek yogurt mixed with ranch seasoning and served with veggies for dipping

Pita stuffed with hummus, sliced lunchmeat, lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, cheese, and Italian dressing (cheap works just fine)

My guess is that you're seeking HEALTHY options that are also tasty, so these are what I came up with 🙂