Losing pain with the weight

Options
lokihen
lokihen Posts: 382 Member
I'm a very slow loser, the journey is taking years. One of my issues is joint pain; hips, knees and ankles making walking for exercise hard. I would go for a walk and be incapacitated for a week.

Then I crossed a threshold of weight loss and that went away. I could walk an hour or more every day without pain. Well, until the weather changed and the arthritis in my knees acted up. But it feels amazing to be able to do basic things like normal people again.

Even with another 60 lbs to go, I hope others in similar situations are encouraged by my 'so far' experience.

Replies

• Smellifeet
    Smellifeet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thats fantastic news!

I am only 15-20 lbs overweight and I have incredible hip pain and lower back pain every day. Doing yoga really helps. I was hoping that carrying less weight would ease the pain. Maybe it is a bigger issue though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, @lokihen - these kinds of improvements are so important (and inspiring).

I definitely found that weight loss improved things, too - more than I really expected, TBH.

I have at least one torn meniscus for which I'm deferring surgery as long as possible (and probably two), plus osteoarthritis and osteoporosis-related degeneration in spots.

At my starting weight (just over the line into class 1 obese), low-level discomfort was frequent to constant, and actual pain relatively frequent (multiple days a month, at least).

Losing 50+ pounds, which got me to a healthy weight, made a really big improvement. There are long (multi day/week) periods with little or no pain or even noticeable discomfort - it can be more like occasional twinges. There are still slightly worse times, but not even close to the frequency, duration or intensity I felt before weight loss.

Another thing that gradually helps, IME, is getting stronger and fitter. I think that being stronger better supports body areas and limits stress on problem points, being fitter improves circulation in those areas, and that sort of thing. It's pretty subtle, but I do think that it has helped incrementally over a period of time.
    Smellifeet wrote: »
    Thats fantastic news!

I am only 15-20 lbs overweight and I have incredible hip pain and lower back pain every day. Doing yoga really helps. I was hoping that carrying less weight would ease the pain. Maybe it is a bigger issue though.

@Smellifeet, I don't know how long you've been at a lower weight. If my memory serves, I didn't feel the full positive effects of weight loss until a while after reaching goal weight. I think the reduced stress on the problem areas needed to recover a bit, and I gradually just felt better. Improvement started during loss, but definitely continued for a while into maintenance of a healthy weight.

My weight loss started well over 8 years ago, and I've been at a healthy weight for 7+ of that, so I honestly can't say what the actual timeline was like, just that it took some time, including some time after reaching goal weight.
  • DrWesner
    DrWesner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started off at 240 lbs. I am 48 years old and noticed that it hurt in my hips and my knees every time I got out of my car. When I started working out and got on the diet, I noticed a lot more pain in the early days every time I would work out. It was not muscle pain, but joint pain in my hips and knees again. Weight loss was also really slow. Then I finally got my protein levels right. I aimed for 1 gram of protein for every pound of weight. Boom...instant pain reduction and the weight started to come off quickly. When I hit 220, I started lifting along with cardio. The weight started to drop faster and I started gaining definition...again with no pain. I am down 30 pounds now, and I plan to drop another 20. I am looking to get to 10-12% body fat (What can I say? I am an addict.). The thing is, if I can do it...anyone can. Get your protein levels right and hit them every day. That was the secret for me. Good luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    anderssd wrote: »
    When I first started my weight loss journey I had some horrible shoulder joint pain. My wife, bless her, would rub my shoulders when we were in bed which helped a lot. Now that I've been exercising for the past 5 months the pain has pretty much gone away at this point which is awesome however I haven't mentioned that part to the wife yet because I enjoy the shoulder rubs. I'm probably gonna has some explainin to do once I reach the pearly gates but I'm willing to risk it for now lol.

i think buying your wife something sparkly and sentimental for Christmas.. may secure your passage through the pearly gates. (shaking head.. yet laughing)...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!