Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Add total weight to a recipe

Options
It would be great if you can add a total weight to a recipe that you create on the app. This way when you portion it out, you can get an accurate calorie count by the weight amount that you portion out.
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Jean
    Jean Posts: 730 MFP Staff
    Options
    Because recipes list ingredients with various types of measurements (weight, volume, and so on) there is no way for the recipe editor to calculate how many servings of a particular size will result when the various items are combined.

If you're not sure how many servings a recipe will produce, enter a best-guess number when you first create the recipe.

After the recipe is prepared, you can manually measure the number of servings that have been produced. Then, the recipe can be edited and the correct number of servings can be entered.

Another recommendation is then putting in the actual serving amount in the title of the recipe to remember how much each serving weighs.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,921 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Many of us weigh the final prepared product, (or weigh the pan, bowl, etc. the dish ends up in before we start preparations and subtract that number from the end weight of the recipe in that pan, bowl, etc.). Then we put in the recipe builder that there are as many servings as grams of food.
    Example.
    Empty bowl weighs 100 grams. Bowl of potato salad weighs 431 grams. I enter 331 servings. When I take 65 grams out to put on my plate, I enter 65 servings. It looks kind of crazy. Of course i didn't actually take 65 healthy portions, but it works well and doesn't take long to get used to.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing as Corina above. It works great.

Wanted to add one thing: When you put a big number into the number of servings in the recipe builder, MFP will give you some kind of "do you really mean it" message. (Sorry, I don't remember the exact message text.) Just keep going after the message - it won't stop you adding the recipe with hundreds or thousands of servings. The math works out fine when you log the food.