Hi!

I just turned 59. I am 212 lbs. joined a gym a month ago. Hired a trainer to work with me one day a week. I want to be fit. And flexible. Goal weight 160-170.
I need accountability & encouragement for a better mindset.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    Welcome to MFP, @tmorton321

I started here at 56, started at 220++, and lost 97 pounds weighing logging and starting with walking and gentle yoga, working my way up to more vigorous exercise as I lost more weight. I subsequently decided to add weight back (yah, I know!) to accommodate muscle weight, which is denser and heavier than similarly size fat “deposits”, for lack of a better term.

It’s very do-able, many post menopausal ladies here have lost successfully. Don’t let anyone - including yourself- tell you you can’t.

Just be mindful, weigh accurately, log faithfully, watch your diary for trends, and find ways to cut back. Smaller portions (you do get used to them!) Sugar free syrups instead of full sugar, margarine instead of butter (or even lighter “spreads” in leiu of either). Or, cut elsewhere if you are constitutionally against those kinds of substitutes. Me, I figured 100 pounds extra weight was far more hazardous to my healththan a few subs. 🤷🏻‍♀️

My encouragement to you would be that, right now at your current weight, you have absolutely NO IDEA how much better and more energetic you will feel after dropping some weight. Mine crept up over decades to obese levels, losing it made me feel- very literally- thirty years younger.

Also haunt these boards for encouragement or advice. Make a few reliable “friends” here, with similar goals, or who have reached them and can give advice from the other side.

Much success to you!

• Tessysworld
    Tessysworld Posts: 4 Member
    Hello Tmorton I turned 60 this year and really need to kick myself in gear I'm at 216 and am looking for the same goal of 160-170 (which was where I was in my early 20's) also for health issues... so I can't join a gym but I have a great treadmill which I dusted off and will start using 3-4 days a week ..feel free to friend request
    **Also I found what springler wrote so insightful and will use your information..thank you
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited December 2023
    Hello Tmorton I turned 60 this year and really need to kick myself in gear I'm at 216 and am looking for the same goal of 160-170 (which was where I was in my early 20's) also for health issues... so I can't join a gym but I have a great treadmill which I dusted off and will start using 3-4 days a week ..feel free to friend request
    **Also I found what springler wrote so insightful and will use your information..thank you

The High Anxiety Dog approves any post with a black dog profile pic.
    ql058njpufkv.jpegOfficial HAD Stamp of Approval
    Tessy, welcome to MFP. Please feel free to ask if you need any help getting rolling.