Small Steps, Big Wins: Support and inspiration for your 2024 goals

Options

Replies

• nanerkay
    nanerkay Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Had a ruff day at PT today but I know it's making me stronger so it's worth it 💪. I've done good on logging everything and staying under my calories.
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Well done @nanerkay 👏
  • BodyTalking
    edited January 27
    Options
    I'm basically starting from scratch again after having a bad cough. I'm doing stretches, flexes and strengthening exercises. I like this person's videos https://youtube.com/@drkristieennis?si=axj9ne7srMGbpIf_
    This workout is good if you've got bad knees https://youtu.be/yhG76F4Bvy4?si=SXXjnXZd5IIMeWWQ
  • gingergirlzrock
    gingergirlzrock Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good morning I am one year post gastric sleeve surgery. Currently down 115 pounds 75 since since surgery. If anyone is looking for a friend to help with accountability, send me a request I have really good high protein recipes willing to share.
  • TyreeJohnson7778
    TyreeJohnson7778 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 29
    Options
    Finally taking back control of my health 🙌 Was a personal trainer over ten years ago after the birth of my first son the fitness lifestyle went out the door but fast forward to 2024 and expecting my second baby boy I want to be not only back to my peak but on top of my health to watch my beautiful family grown!
  • susanlambert83
    susanlambert83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i hope to lose 40 lbs
  • BodyTalking
    Options
    zrwlqo5fs4ad.jpg

It's the last day of January!
    Has your year started well?
    Have you had a bumpy start?
    What are your hopes for the coming month?
  • BodyTalking
    edited January 31
    Options
    Goodbye January!
    For me, it wasn't the best start to 2024. Although I was on holiday in Spain for the first week, which was great, I had a terrible cough for 3 weeks, which prevented me from doing much - doc told me to rest and not speak for a few days and to stay home for an extra few days. I'm fine now but have to start building myself up from scratch again.
    I saw there were a few people looking for supportive partners for accountability and motivation and I'd be happy to be a part of that. Friend requests sent 🙂@gingergirlzrock @hcrews9535 @KrystleDeakin @nanerkay @AngieMeza3409
    @tag me or send a friend request if I missed you.
  • nmpmmp
    nmpmmp Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 1
    Options
    Yay, so grateful for this post!

What small changes are you making this year to improve your health? I started with positive narratives in my head, meditation, therapy, healthy eating and kangoo jumps...started 2 weeks ago! I can't explain how wonderful I feel already.

What have you learned about yourself as you’ve begun to log and build small habits? I am struggling here. I have forgotten all I used to know but am starting to learn and build my personal knowledge base again.

What advice do you have for other people starting their “small steps” journey? JUST do it! I tend to get in planning paralysis...no longer, I just do it!

What tips would you like to get from other members in this discussion? It's overwhelming understanding my body vs macros...intermittent fasting...keto...supplements...trying to figure out what works best for me and my body genetics and composition at 50 years young (in May) to hit my 20 lbs weight loss goal by April 21st.
  • ceplace
    ceplace Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Remember to define success in your own terms. Step by step. Just logging in daily is one step closer to your goal. I say this to my self every day when the sabatour thoughts jump in my head.
  • BodyTalking
    Options
    20u5ke970024.jpg
  • Wean_over_that_now
    Wean_over_that_now Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm slowly losing weight as I workout but wondering about foods to get my cholesterol levels down. I'm not sure if I should follow the carbs and fat count because of it. If someone could give me some advice I would appreciate it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm slowly losing weight as I workout but wondering about foods to get my cholesterol levels down. I'm not sure if I should follow the carbs and fat count because of it. If someone could give met some advice I would appreciate it.

@TammyCox7713, you might want to make a post with that info request in the title: You'll get more targeted advice.

My experience was that as I lost weight, my cholesterol normalized. I ate mostly so-called whole foods (as I had while obese, actually!), and my macro percents were close to the MFP defaults. Part way through weight loss, my cholesterol hit the normal range and it's been there ever since (another few months of loss, almost 8 years since of maintenance). I eat higher carb, around that 50% of calories from carbs level, but the carbs are mostly from fruits, veggies, and no-sugar-added dairy foods.

I don't think I have a family history of hypercholesterolemia. Those with a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol may have a different experience and need different tactics, including potentially medications.

Cardiovascular exercise can help, too. It doesn't need to be something punitively intense, it can be walking, easy jogging, riding a bike - whatever is a bit of a challenge, but enjoyable, manageable and achievable.

Getting good nutrition is a plus: Lean proteins, whole grains, plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits. Limiting saturated fat, balancing that with mono- and polyunsaturated fats (nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil - that sort of thing). Getting some Omega-3 fats (like fatty cold water fish). Strictly avoiding artificial trans fats. Limiting added sugar, keeping refined foods (white flour, sugar, etc.) at a sensibly moderate level. Eating patterns like DASH or Mediterranean may be reasonable models.

It's not possible IMO to perfect all of that instantly, but it can be something to evolve habits toward. Just my experience/opinions, though.
  • Wean_over_that_now
    Wean_over_that_now Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice. I'm doing well with the foods I have at home. I naturally have always gravitated towards whole wheat products and love salads and such. Unfortunately my mom was an awesome baker and at times we would have starved if it wasn't for those foods years ago. But it came with the drawbacks of body cravings sweets. To this day I still struggle with it. I have a workout gym, an air walker and a concept 2 rower which I purchased in Dec and have been using that to get weight of. Dec 7th I weighed 260lbs and now at 236lbs. But I wasn't eating enough and drained. So I found this app and it has been helping me tremendously! But I still falter in junk food every second week. I work at home care and every 2nd Saturday night I do 16 hr shift and supervisor always has sweets, chocolate, baked goods and stuff out and I always indulge, way to much, but I don't keep that stuff at home. I have ingredients to bake and my husband wants it but I know when I do I will eat it, so I won't. Hurt my back years ago and suppose to have a rod in but thyroid levels were out of whack so sent me home to get them under control before I could have the surgery. After talking to my GP I decided not to get the surgery. Went to 305lbs. Couldn't move for years to do anything, on meds for years. But finally weaned myself off everything and in 2018 tried to start walking, slowly and painfully but kept at it. By fall of 2022 I was down to 237lbs. But then thyroid levels crashed and took me until Nov of 2023 to get them back to normal. Went back up in weight and decided to invest in workout equipment to help get me back on track. I workout every second day at least and walk 5-10km when I go outside so I'm being active. I've always been a physical labourer whose worked along side my husband building homes, senior cottages and home renos, I also plaster gyroc and that so I'm heavy but i am strong like a man and muscular, but also a lot of fat on me from years let up with my back. I've never eaten properly and this journey on this app has been a struggle but also an eye opener of how wrong I've been treating my body all these years, starving it of essential nutrients, it's crazy how my body has been able to perform the way it has all these years without proper care. I just hope now I can salvage as much as I can of it and repair the damage I've caused it because of neglect. Hopefully people on this app can help me learn to treat myself better so I can have a much healthier future then my past!
  • skunksurvives
    skunksurvives Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 7
    Options
    Hi. Been on the fitness health kick since 2020. 220 to 182. Its been hard but almost there. Happy to be here. Got heavy due to covid working at home. Want to be fit lively energetic and good stamina for my family.
  • Elanor2368
    Elanor2368 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lyndago70 wrote: »
    I am from Kansas, and new here. I want to lower carbs and increase activity.

Kansas up in the house, too! Wichita proud! We've got this!
  • kiddo_ogami
    kiddo_ogami Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The real aim should be your health. It's not just a weight loss, it's a personal discipline that will continue through the years. Following some simple and constant rule, will bring you not only to the desired weight, but overall to a healthy life style.

Always move. Never stop.