Do i do my exercises wrong?

Options
WernerZiegler1
WernerZiegler1 Posts: 37 Member
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, it's been over 2 Weeks I started tracking my calories do liftingm, cardio and eat nutritious i got from my gym coach a 3 Split Training Routine starting with Breast/Triceps, Back/Biceps and Legs/Butt/Abs

But i think i do something wrong because every time i Train i don't feel exhausted like i read and heard from some people that the muscles should burn and hurt when you do a set then you know you had a good session but in my case that never happens my muscles never hurt but i make sure to always give my best and do my sets.

My sets are usually 3-4 x 10-12

I thought i use to less weight but as soon i increase it a bit i can't lift it anymore
I try to do the exercises as clean as possible.

Regards

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles are not really an indication of a good workout. Yes, they can be, but they are not necessary to show a workout was good. If a small increase in the weight is too much for you to be able to do the exercise with good form, then you should not increase the weight yet. I personally only get muscle soreness when I start a new program, and then only for a week at most.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    DOMS (muscle soreness from exercise) really only happens when you're unaccustomed to a particular exercise and/or you're increasing intensity or working those muscles in some other way. DOMS isn't an indicator of a good workout.

I am never "exhausted" after a lifting session, but your lifts should be challenging to the point where when you do your last rep, you only have one or two more left in the tank...if it's easy, you need to increase the stress by adding more weight or more reps/sets, whatever fits with your goals. Also, your programming is sub-optimal for a 3x per week split...you're only hitting each muscle group once per week. With 3x per week you'd be much better off with a full body program.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    +1 to everything @cwolfman13 said.

You might hope to feel your muscles are pumped by the end of the workout, but your goal shouldn't be pain, nor is it a bad thing that you aren't feeling sore after.

I second the suggestion to do full body if you're doing 3x a week. YMMV for recovery if 3x a week full body includes say squats 3x, that might be tough for recovery, but you can do compound legs (squats, leg press, RDL, hack squat, lunges, etc.) twice and isolation legs (extensions, hamstring curls e.g.) in the in-between session if needed.

Total volume will be similar to what you're doing, so 10-15 working sets per group per week.
  • WernerZiegler1
    WernerZiegler1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had a bad session today trained my breasts, shoulders and triceps
    Incline press 3 Sets around 6-8 reps i couldn’t do more than 15 Kg
    What is wrong with me?
    Other A holes there even though very slim shape do lift 60 Kg on machines i can only do 20 Kg and they do 8–10 reps
    This is making me mad and i feel ashamed of myself.

Do you know a way to bring the maximum on output?
    I think I rushed my training today still had 2 min resting between the workouts.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    If you're lifting more than last time, that's a good session. That's progress. If you're doing 10 reps now say, progress to 12 reps then next time raise the weight and go back to 10 reps. Rinse repeat.

You can only compare with yourself. You don't know how long others have been training, or if they are focusing on strength or hypertrophy, or if they are on PED's.

3-6 reps (with more weight obviously) will target strength gain, and build some muscle. 10-15 reps will target muscle gain, and build some strength.

Rest time can be 10 seconds to 5 minutes. It depends. A heavy barbell squat will need a lot more rest than calf raises or bicep curls. If your breathing has recovered, your target and secondary muscles are ready for another set, and you're mentally ready to go, that's the amount of rest needed and no more.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I had a bad session today trained my breasts, shoulders and triceps
    Incline press 3 Sets around 6-8 reps i couldn’t do more than 15 Kg
    What is wrong with me?
    Other A holes there even though very slim shape do lift 60 Kg on machines i can only do 20 Kg and they do 8–10 reps
    This is making me mad and i feel ashamed of myself.

Do you know a way to bring the maximum on output?
    I think I rushed my training today still had 2 min resting between the workouts.

Some people have been lifting longer than you have, so they're stronger.

Some people have a genetic advantage (born with it). That can be a different body configuration that allows better leverage to be applied, or it can be genetics that allow them to gain strength faster.

Some people have a personal history that made them stronger. In my world growing up, the farm kids were mostly stronger than the city kids, from the farm work. Maybe some of the people have worked as bricklayers, or loading heavy boxes in trucks or something, and got stronger that way.

It doesn't matter. You are where you are right now.

Comparison to others does you no favors. The only valid comparison is to yourself at a past time. The only thing you can do is work hard, smart, and persistently.

Lose the anger, shame, and emotion about this. It wastes energy, and doesn't make you one bit stronger.

Hard work and patience. Pay attention to your own progress. Learn as much as you can about good practices, and apply that knowledge.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what others lift. I backed off a lot of my poundages to save my joints (I'm almost 60) and doing say a bent over barbell row at 225lbs for 6 reps doesn't appeal to me like doing 135lbs for 15 strict reps. Getting in shape isn't just about how much weight you can lift. And no one really cares anyway. Work within your parameters and just keep working on progression.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    dimtocbpmhwg.png