Slow But Making Progress

Options
I’m on a pretty good path now. It took me a while but I’ve been much more focused and have been logging my food and exercise in daily. I had lost about 55 lbs using the app about 3 years ago; I kept it off but this past year it really crept back on. I gained about half back so I’ve been trying to be mindful again and lose that weight. So far in about 2 weeks I’ve lost 4.2 lbs. I’m not perfect but I’m definitely in more control and I’m able to get past a day if I eat a little more than thinking like I’ve failed. That is key for me. I absolutely feel so much better - have more energy and have been more productive. Just trying to go forward, make each day better than day before.

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    if you're only trying to lose less than 30 pounds, losing 2 pounds or more a week is way too fast - you'll lose a lot more muscle that way than if you aim to lose 1/2 pound to 1 pound per week. also losing more slowly is more sustainable in the long run.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    if you're only trying to lose less than 30 pounds, losing 2 pounds or more a week is way too fast - you'll lose a lot more muscle that way than if you aim to lose 1/2 pound to 1 pound per week. also losing more slowly is more sustainable in the long run.

@bubbeE787, I agree with this ^^^, 100%.

But if you're just getting started, one fairly frequent pattern is to lose quite fast the first week or two, then slow down. It's mostly about shifts in water weight, alongside some fat loss. If you feel good (as you say you do), it's OK to go for another couple of weeks or so, and see what your average weekly loss is at that point. (If you're female, of the right age/stage, compare your body weight at the same relative point in at least 2 different menstrual cycles.)

Also, another fairly common pattern is quick loss the first week or two, then a seeming stall on the scale for another week or two as water weight rebalances. That's a phenomenon that makes some people discouraged and give up, or makes other people cut calories more steeply (too much) or start over-exercising beyond their current fitness level. Doing those things can be very counter-productive.

If you see what looks like a stall, wait it out until you've gone through that 4 weeks or so (total) or full monthly cycle. By that point, the average loss should be fairly characteristic of the actual calorie deficit, for most people.

But - repeating the main point - losing too fast for one's current weight is a health risk, in various ways. Two pounds a week with maybe 20-some pounds to lose is pretty aggressive. Please be careful.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,109 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you've found your groove. I've found one, too(or is it a rut?). I'm losing about 2 pounds a month. Slow is a matter of perception. Still, I'm satisfied with losing in a slow, happy, healthier way.
    We will do this! Sooner or later.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Lose at your own rate it is your body and choice. . .. I don't think you asked everyones opion on what they think you should do.
    It is great you caught the regain before it all came back...and now you are on your way.
  • sanskrutimane1402
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    I'm glad you've found your groove. I've found one, too(or is it a rut?). I'm losing about 2 pounds a month. Slow is a matter of perception. Still, I'm satisfied with losing in a slow, happy, healthier way.
    We will do this! Sooner or later.
    hey i recently started my journey thus november too and ive lost about 2lbs in a month too which is relatively slow but im
    proud thats its still something slow and steady progress <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    bubbeE787 wrote: »
    I’m on a pretty good path now. It took me a while but I’ve been much more focused and have been logging my food and exercise in daily. I had lost about 55 lbs using the app about 3 years ago; I kept it off but this past year it really crept back on. I gained about half back so I’ve been trying to be mindful again and lose that weight. So far in about 2 weeks I’ve lost 4.2 lbs. I’m not perfect but I’m definitely in more control and I’m able to get past a day if I eat a little more than thinking like I’ve failed. That is key for me. I absolutely feel so much better - have more energy and have been more productive. Just trying to go forward, make each day better than day before.

I'm glad it's going well!

Unless you have a considerable amount of weight to lose, losing over 2 pound a week is not slow. Like others said, part of the first week's loss could be water. Toss that number out, then shoot for a weekly rate of loss that lines up with this chart:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg