Brain not Shame

Options
I have lost 50 pounds and kept losing since Jan. 22. The weight wasn't the import loss though. It was more important that I lost shame around weight and weight-loss forever. Shame is feeling that you are bad or intrinsically flawed. We have been taught by society, by our parents, by the diet industry that we are bad if we eat certain foods. We are bad or broken if we are fat. We are bad or broken if we stay fat we are bad. If we fail a diet, we are broken and bad.
The truth is that success or failure is not a moral issue, although the thoughts and feelings generated by shame, certainly don't help us.

Everything comes down to the brain and how it is designed to work. It is always trying to make our lives safe and easy, but many elements of that basic programming work against what we need for change and weight-loss.

Learning about the brain, psychology, and habit change is what helped me drop shame and guilt and weight.

I'm putting this out there for anyone sunk in Shame. I know that if you are sitting around believing that you're bad and broken, it's hard to see past it and come out and discuss it, but I hope you can take heart at the message.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you: This is wonderful as a personal insight, and a perspective to share with others.