Getting Shredded

Options
I started this journey in a pretty bad place. I was 240 lbs and I am only 5 feet 9. Let's just say that I was pretty fat. I have dropped 30 lbs now and I am starting to see some signs of muscle definition again. I am not yet where I want to be as I am sitting at about 19% body fat. I think I will see a huge difference if I can get down to 10-12%. Does anybody have experience doing this? If so, any tips for going the last mile and hitting a goal like this? Thanks guys!

Replies

• kraft024
    kraft024 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Somewhere I got the idea that 12-15% for men is where the body fat starts to disappear enough in places like abs to start looking defined. That's my current goal. It's definitely the range recommended to be at before starting to do a bulk if you're going to do that. I want to hit 165 pounds for my 6'2 height and see. I've never had a flat stomach my whole life and I want to see.

Then I'm thinking about doing a very lean, very slight bulk while stepping up my strength training a notch and see how that goes for a few months. Now that I've cut for months, I know I can do it again. ~15 pounds to go here after losing 55.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    DrWesner wrote: »
    I started this journey in a pretty bad place. I was 240 lbs and I am only 5 feet 9. Let's just say that I was pretty fat. I have dropped 30 lbs now and I am starting to see some signs of muscle definition again. I am not yet where I want to be as I am sitting at about 19% body fat. I think I will see a huge difference if I can get down to 10-12%. Does anybody have experience doing this? If so, any tips for going the last mile and hitting a goal like this? Thanks guys!

10%-15% for that height and being muscular would be right around 180lbs

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nolongergordo
    nolongergordo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a similar goal as you. I'm doing my best to take the sloooooooow road to shreddedness by cutting my calories by about 300 below maintenance and being sure to log my food intake BEFORE the day and don't eat a morsel more than I have listed.

Have you sorted out what you need to eat for a high protein diet that is below maintenance that lets you eat for the whole day?

You might want to look into that. Plan it out for the month while your at it and be serious.
    You'll be shocked at the results.
  • DrWesner
    DrWesner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys! I have a long way to go! I hit 208 this morning, so I have about 28 lbs to go to get to 180. I am going to make it! I am a total addict at this point. I am not looking back.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!