To pole dance or not to pole dance, that is the Q :o)

Options
2»

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The answer to this question is always "yes."
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I went from walking to running a half marathon in 2 hours. Just take it one day at a time and continue to make progress.
    Most people take months just to get to a 5K.

ops235y
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    The answer to this question is always "yes."

Exactly what I was coming in to post.....seconded.
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Do it for sure!!! My DIL is a pole dance instructor. It has really taken over as being exercise and not "stripping". There are all sizes in her classes and yes they start with the very basic moves. I would think holding yourself up would be more of an advanced move. Go for it!! She was always thin but now she is very ripped and strong. You can do it!

Oh and about your husband liking the moves lol....my son said its like they say...if your married to a carpenter your door can be falling off but won't get fixed. He doesn't see a lot of moves at home ha ha ha
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I took a pole dancing class last winter. It was six weeks long, and there were all shapes, sizes and a few of us middle aged ladies in there. Since it was a beginner class, we didn't do any of the real fancy pole gymnastics, but mostly just used the pole for support as we did a variety lower and upper body work. My knees bothered me after most of the classes, as we had to get down on the floor and back up again for most of the moves.

If you find that any of the moves are too difficult or painful, just ask the instructor for modifications. I can guarantee you that the gym/studio doesn't want you to become injured on their watch. Or, just go back to moves that you can do comfortably while the rest of the class works on the moves that are problematic for your body.

Lastly, why on earth would your husband be horrified that you are taking a pole fitness class? Does he want you to stay overweight and out of shape? I think lack of support from family and friends are one of the biggest obstacles most people face when trying to lose weight and become healthy, but you'll probably get more resistance from him at the dinner table versus a once a week fitness class.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks huys, I am definitely leaning towards doing it! And hopefully hubby will like my new moves :o) haha

I also got more info... So it's actually 8 weeks....

Week 1+2= Pole fitness
    Week 3+4= Adult Street Dance
    Week 5+6= Hoop fitness (dancing with hula hoops??!) haha
    Weeks 7+8= Kick Boxercise (and I already do and LOVE boxercise!!)

Sounds fun!!

I've heard of hoop fitness before. If it's the same as what I've researched--the workout uses weighted hula hoops and it's supposed to be great for abs. I've thought about buying a kit (hoop + dvd's) to do at home. Google "weighted hula hoop workout".
  • amylouize2012
    amylouize2012 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Sooooo.... I finally did it!! I called the dance school and I have my first class on Saturday. They said not to worry that they get people of all shapes and sizes so I feel much better now. Actually really excited!! The Saturday class is kick boxercise (she said do this first because I'm clearly most comfy with that) and then I will do a pole class next week. Isn't that great :o)
  • amylouize2012
    amylouize2012 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Lastly, why on earth would your husband be horrified that you are taking a pole fitness class? Does he want you to stay overweight and out of shape? I think lack of support from family and friends are one of the biggest obstacles most people face when trying to lose weight and become healthy, but you'll probably get more resistance from him at the dinner table versus a once a week fitness class.

Told hubby about the dance class. He looked pretty shocked at first and then he was just DELIGHTED. His only concern is that we don't have any space for a pole in our house hahahahaha. I don't even think he heard me explaining that I wanted to try all of the different styles of dance..... all he heard was "pole" hahaha xxx