Need someone's best advice about this please!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Are you saying your Dad was under-eating by 2000 calories a day before your "intervention"? He must have been losing weight very quickly!!
    Or more likely you only have a partial picture of his diet/intake....

Honestly think you are making this far too complex and imposing weird and wonderful restrictions based on fear mongering over carbs.

If he isn't overweight but has high cholesterol and blood pressure then you might be better off encouraging him to be more active, get some exercise and cut down on sodium.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    He isn't overweight, so this is kind of nonsense. And I am all for healthy eating, but let him sort it, poor man. Give him the knowledge of what a balanced, healthy diet (with some chips, and treats/takeout included, if he wants them) is, and stop making so many rules to follow! It sounds like he's fairly willing to eat good food and he doesn't have weight to lose, so being so strict seemed unnecessary. My dad is a mechanic and he's quite fit/active from the job-it isn't a desk job, at any rate. Let him compile meals that suit his day, his hunger etc. and be conscious of his medical issues. But he doesn't need complete plans, or to be treated as a child by his daughter/sent off to work with a yoghurt in his packed lunch. It's wonderful you love him, but gosh.

I dont pack his lunch, I gave him some guidelines because he is completely clueless about what to eat! He doesnt have a doctor or a dietician. I am neither of those, but I know what is healthy. Also if you call lying under a car and walking back and forth around the car for tools etc.. active, than I dont know? Im not putting his job down, I take pride in his work..but mechanics arent generally active, but they arent sedentary either! And take out and fatty foods? Yah because those are all great things for cholesterol. Thanks for the great advice, although I do appreciate your response.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    Are you saying your Dad was under-eating by 2000 calories a day before your "intervention"? He must have been losing weight very quickly!!

Honestly think you are making this far too complex and imposing weird and wonderful restrictions based on fear mongering over carbs.

If he isn't overweight but has high cholesterol and blood pressure then you might be better off encouraging him to be more active, get some exercise and cut down on sodium.

Invention? I was just saying that he was eating way less than what he is eating now! Thats all! Thanks for the reply.
  • Krissypantz
    Options

I agree, but you can be unhealthy in general and not be overweight. Exercise seems to be key. Thanks!
  • KiwiJewels
    KiwiJewels Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that maybe you should find a dietician that can help him out - a good one will know exactly how to help him and that's less stress for you :-) The internet will do your head in if you take it too seriously. I wouldn't worry too much about him eating carbs - as long as they are healthy ones like whole grain wraps and not just chips...

Was confused about you saying there was salt in chicken but google tells me that chicken in America has it added - sheesh! Pretty sure the whole added salt and hormones thing doesn't happen here! (NZ)

And regardless of what he does about his diet, and how active or inactive he is at work, he should definitely think about adding some exercise to his day. He could get a dog (or borrow a dog) and take it for walks, he could even take up a new hobby like dancing! I'm sure he'll be able to think of something he'll find fun and can stick to.

Sounds like he's willing to change, and high cholesterol can definitely be turned around, so get some professional help, even just to get him started. Good luck!
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    I was thinking that maybe you should find a dietician that can help him out - a good one will know exactly how to help him and that's less stress for you :-) The internet will do your head in if you take it too seriously. I wouldn't worry too much about him eating carbs - as long as they are healthy ones like whole grain wraps and not just chips...

Was confused about you saying there was salt in chicken but google tells me that chicken in America has it added - sheesh! Pretty sure the whole added salt and hormones thing doesn't happen here! (NZ)

And regardless of what he does about his diet, and how active or inactive he is at work, he should definitely think about adding some exercise to his day. He could get a dog (or borrow a dog) and take it for walks, he could even take up a new hobby like dancing! I'm sure he'll be able to think of something he'll find fun and can stick to.

Sounds like he's willing to change, and high cholesterol can definitely be turned around, so get some professional help, even just to get him started. Good luck!

Thanks, you know I think that is great advice. It is stressful a little.. My mom broke her arm about 3 weeks ago and Ive been helping her out and than my dad finds this out. I know its not the end of the world...but blood pressure is scary business! But I think a dietician would be able to help him out more than me. Or I could just let him eat what Ive told him so far and that might make a difference until he finds someone. In any case thanks!

And the chicken was from Costco! I guess they buy their chicken from the states!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Invention? I was just saying that he was eating way less than what he is eating now! Thats all! Thanks for the reply.
    "intervention". :wink:

You know, you've got some pretty good advice in the thread, even if not in the tone you would have liked. People aren't trolling you though. Your heart's in the right place and it's great that you care so much about your dad's health. It's also great that he seems to be taking your suggestions on board! I think you're overthinking the carb thing a bit. Carbs aren't "bad", even refined ones, and if he's not diabetic (and there doesn't seem to be any indication that he's insulin resistant or anything either) it's unlikely to be something to worry about. In fact, getting overly stressed about it will probably do you - and him - more harm.

If you're seriously worried about his cholesterol and blood pressure (or more to the point, if he's seriously worried) then the best thing is going to be to get him to see a doctor and see what they have to say. My family members with high cholesterol and high blood pressure have been advised by their doctors to keep an eye on saturated fat intake and sodium intake (respectively). Otherwise, it sounds like he's eating a good, well balanced diet. The fish oils should help with the cholesterol. Encourage him to get some exercise, and let him get on with it.
  • Krissypantz
    Options

"intervention". :wink:

You know, you've got some pretty good advice in the thread, even if not in the tone you would have liked. People aren't trolling you though. Your heart's in the right place and it's great that you care so much about your dad's health. It's also great that he seems to be taking your suggestions on board! I think you're overthinking the carb thing a bit. Carbs aren't "bad", even refined ones, and if he's not diabetic (and there doesn't seem to be any indication that he's insulin resistant or anything either) it's unlikely to be something to worry about. In fact, getting overly stressed about it will probably do you - and him - more harm.

If you're seriously worried about his cholesterol and blood pressure (or more to the point, if he's seriously worried) then the best thing is going to be to get him to see a doctor and see what they have to say. My family members with high cholesterol and high blood pressure have been advised by their doctors to keep an eye on saturated fat intake and sodium intake (respectively). Otherwise, it sounds like he's eating a good, well balanced diet. The fish oils should help with the cholesterol. Encourage him to get some exercise, and let him get on with it.

Thanks, maybe there is something mentally wrong with me...why I worry so much about my parents cant be healthy! II just got so worried when I heard about these things.. never thought he was unhealthy ever, but thats what happens when you are in your 50's if you have led a not so healthy lifestyle! The thing is he doesnt have a doctor, so maybe Ill just present the idea to him about trying to find a dietician. My knowledge about food isnt advanced enough for the care that he needs, but atleast he is on the right track! I am happy that he is trying at least even though I know its a transition for him! Thanks for the reply..honestly!

And oh!! Intervention lol ok!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My knowledge about food isnt advanced enough for the care that he needs, but atleast he is on the right track!

what 'care' do you think he needs?

a balanced diet and a bit more exercise will pretty much cover it....
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If your father suffers from Gout then do some reading as to the triggers for him - my OH finds that certain foods can bring it on for him if he has too much.

And mechanics can be classed as moderately active - they are on their feet a lot and moving around with some lifting etc. Don't starve the poor man when you're trying to help!
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    My knowledge about food isnt advanced enough for the care that he needs, but atleast he is on the right track!

I dont know, a dietician I guess..I know about how to eat healthy but lacking in the knowledge about carbohydrates! So far he eats a balanced diet, but hes 1000 calories short lol..
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    If your father suffers from Gout then do some reading as to the triggers for him - my OH finds that certain foods can bring it on for him if he has too much.

And mechanics can be classed as moderately active - they are on their feet a lot and moving around with some lifting etc. Don't starve the poor man when you're trying to help!

:) thanks...Actually before he was eating like once a day ... :P I dont know how he did it..force of habit I guess. I used to eat only 2 times a day before I changed my lifestyle! Ill get him to eat 1000 more calories, or just refer him to a dietician!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I dont know, a dietician I guess..I know about how to eat healthy but lacking in the knowledge about carbohydrates! So far he eats a balanced diet, but hes 1000 calories short lol..

as others have said, he doesnt need to cut out carbs, so bread at lunchtime or a jacket potato with dinner wont do any harm, and will increase his cals.
  • Krissypantz
    Options

as others have said, he doesnt need to cut out carbs, so bread at lunchtime or a jacket potato with dinner wont do any harm, and will increase his cals.

Well he does actually..I didnt completely cut it out for him..His salmon sandwhich at lunch, and his potato or sweet potato at supper..or with brown rice etc... so basically its ok to go over 150 grams!!!???!!!! Alright I will lay off the carb obsession when it comes to his diet!

I just know when I used to be 200 pounds..I was eating a huge plate of spagetti at supper, among other unhealthy foods..like pop and sugar..I am now around 125 grams of carbs a day- fruit veggies grains and bread, not intentionally. It works for me. I dont even think about it..I also know when I do eat pasta I gain a pound and then lose it the next day..so I dont know :P
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Well he does actually..I didnt completely cut it out for him..His salmon sandwhich at lunch, and his potato or sweet potato at supper..or with brown rice etc... so basically its ok to go over 150 grams!!!???!!!! Alright I will lay off the carb obsession when it comes to his diet!

I just know when I used to be 200 pounds..I was eating a huge plate of spagetti at supper, among other unhealthy foods..like pop and sugar..I am now around 125 grams of carbs a day- fruit veggies grains and bread, not intentionally. It works for me. I dont even think about it..I also know when I do eat pasta I gain a pound and then lose it the next day..so I dont know :P

CARBS didnt make you fat, eating more CALORIES than your body needed made you fat...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You keep saying he is 1000 calories under every day - is he actually losing 2lbs a week?
    If his weight is stable then he's getting enough calories, don't get too obsessed with calculators and counting. Actual results will reveal if he is eating enough.

Also don't worry about the number of meals in a day, it makes no difference. If it works for him then it works. Same for carbs - just because you had to restrict carbs to lose weight (well done for that by the way!) doesn't mean a man who isn't overweight doing an active job has to as well.

It's lovely you are concerned for your Dad but he seems to be doing pretty well in general with a couple of health (not weight) concerns. Giving up smoking is the most positive thing he could have done for his health.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I would add maybe a larger serving of meat to his meals. Also nuts are good healthy snacks.. avocado salads. Yum! Plain greek yogurt with fruit or honey added would be low in sugar and high in protein.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    You keep saying he is 1000 calories under every day - is he actually losing 2lbs a week?
    If his weight is stable then he's getting enough calories, don't get too obsessed with calculators and counting. Actual results will reveal if he is eating enough.

Also don't worry about the number of meals in a day, it makes no difference. If it works for him then it works. Same for carbs - just because you had to restrict carbs to lose weight (well done for that by the way!) doesn't mean a man who isn't overweight doing an active job has to as well.

It's lovely you are concerned for your Dad but he seems to be doing pretty well in general with a couple of health (not weight) concerns. Giving up smoking is the most positive thing he could have done for his health.

Ok thanks for the advice, makes sense :)