Drink and stress

Options
Hi.
I'm not a daily drinker but recently I've been under lots if stress in work but have now found a way out n got myself a new opportunity. However stress of finishing up has led to me having a few glasses during week. I also end up having 1 r 2 at weekend but I would like to cut out alcohol completely except on special occasions. The tips on this discussion are v helpful

Answers

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I was a daily drinking for longer than I can remeber probably like 35 years.

This past summer I stopped drinking cold turkey for 45 days and felt amazing!!.

Then at my daughter's wedding in Sept I got loaded and the daily drinking habit started to creep in again.

I realized I can't just drink on the weekends or occasionally. It doesn't work for me. I can't stop at one. I hate the energy zapping feeling the next morning. So many negatives when I drink and very few positives.

This time I have told no one I am not drinking anymore. This will be a Suprise to all around me when I refuse to partake. lol

So, this week I have stopped again. I know the holidays are here and it will be extremely difficult to abstain, but I am determined to do this once and for all.

Cheers and the best of luck to you.

• Skylightsauc
    Skylightsauc Posts: 14 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi.
    I'm not a daily drinker but recently I've been under lots if stress in work but have now found a way out n got myself a new opportunity. However stress of finishing up has led to me having a few glasses during week. I also end up having 1 r 2 at weekend but I would like to cut out alcohol completely except on special occasions. The tips on this discussion are v helpful

Hello. I'm also trying to limit alcohol so thought I would add my tips. Some people can't just drink sporadically, they have to quit completely. Another poster pointed this out. I guess you have to decide if you are in that group. I enjoy alcohol but don't drink much anymore. I actually limit myself to cocktails once a week. That seems to work for me. I have the lightest beer available, and follow it with a glass of water before ordering another. That in itself limits how much you drink in a specific time. Sometimes I order vodka/soda or white wine with soda in a large glass. It takes a while to drink. I try to limit myself to two, and can usually stretch it out even through a 3 hour time frame. If you don't buy alcohol in bottles you won't have any to drink when at home. If you need to relax, try some stretching, reading, a puzzle, gardening...almost anything that engages your mind or body. Also, try going on some outings where you know there will be no alcohol. That can help you learn to relax and enjoy yourself without it.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Making a rule works for me. I won't drink during the week.. and have a few drinks on weekend evenings right before dinner. It has worked for me in losing weight.. and keeping an eye on the drinking.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been an off and on daily drinker for many years. I have taken breaks of 30, 60, and 90 days over the last three years. In November I decided not to partake during the week and only drink on weekends going into the New Year. Starting January 1 I'm doing dry January with the intent to go at least 6 months, but really I feel like I'm just done with it.

For myself, when taking a break it has always been important to put myself in a position where I have the best chance to succeed which for me means having a good chunk of time where there really aren't any social engagements or big holidays. One issue for me in the past when I've taken breaks is the questions of "why aren't you drinking"? I've never done dry January before, but I'm using it this time as "cover" for that question as many people I know will be doing it. After that I intend to just tell people I did dry January and liked it so I'm not drinking right now kind of thing.