14.8% bf - how unhealthy?

Options
2»

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have 18% body fat. When measured with calipers it's between 9 and 11% depending on the number of sites and the calculator used. The methods for measuring body fat vary widely.

^^^This. I measured at 12.8% on the handheld thing, 13% on the military tape, 13% with a 7 pt caliper test.... Some of the other tape measure methods put me as high as 26%. I think I look like maybe 15-18% When I started to get multiple methods putting me so low, I looked into the health risks associated with low body fat for women. Besides the hormone issue (mine are fine, as I managed to conceive this summer and am now in my second trimester), malnutrition didn't concern me at all because I eat plenty and well. The only other big risk is mostly bone density related. If you do high impact activities (I like lifting and mosh pits; horseback riding would certainly count though), you're probably fine. If you are still worried about it, you can get a DEXA scan and get real numbers on your bone density. The fact that you are maintaining easily would indicate to me that you are not at an inappropriate body fat level.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Rosie-28small.jpg

ETA: fixed it for you. You have to change the IMG to lowercase img.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Rosie-28small.jpg

darn it didnt work - sorry - how do i make it work?!

Change the IMG codes to img (lowercase).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't look underweight or unhealthy. That PT way over reacted in general as well about the issue. Lots of women are healthy at that bf%. You look fantastic and healthy. I doubt a doctor would advise you to purposefully gain weight (unless you chose to go on a bulk/cut).
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You certainly don't look unhealthy to me. If you are able to get your work done, look after yourself and family then I don't think it's much of an issue. I think I remember Eric Helms saying for a woman 20% bodyfat is what he would consider to be 'low' but I'm not sure if that's accurate.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am 14% on that handheld thing too, but in reality I know by measurements/weight that I am closer to 18-19%. Those are highly inaccurate.

Also, the body fat % number doesn't really matter all that much unless you need it to matter.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    How unhealthy is that level of bf for a woman?

Specifically a woman who is maintaining a consistent healthy weight for age/height, feels fit, has good muscle definition and has plenty of energy to do all exersise etc and eats healthily?

from what I've read about this in the past (i.e. at uni), if she's still menstruating regularly, then she's probably fine. If she's lost her period or it's become irregular, that's a sign that her hormone levels have fallen, and she's at risk of losing bone density as a result (exercise has a protective effect but insufficient levels of some hormones have a very detrimental effect on this, and on other things).

Also bear in mind that due to inaccuracy in testing body fat percentage, her body fat percentage may really be around 17-18 percent, which is the low end of the healthy range.

IMO it's important to be aware of the signs from your body that you are carrying too little fat, rather than going by a calliper and a table. There are individual differences in terms of what body fat percentages people can sustain healthily, and also there's a margin of error by a few percent either way when measuring body fat percentage. Depending on the method used, there could be quite a big margin of error.

So if she's happily maintaining this body fat percentage and she's still menstruating regularly and doesn't have hormonal issues, energy level issues or other symptoms............ then either she's genetically predisposed to be able to maintain a lower body fat percentage than average.... or her body fat percentage is a bit higher than she thinks (but bear in mind that 17-18% is still very low and some people will have muscle definition at this level).
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you're actually concerned, talk to a doctor. PTs often as not are just some bro at the gym who went for a few classes (which is not to say there are no highly educated, very good PTs. Just that a lot of them aren't.)
  • Rosie4732
    Rosie4732 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thanks guys - I'm going to go with you (and what was my gut instinct) and just carry on as I am

I feel better than I have for years - with more energy than I have for years - so I can't see that I am unhealthy :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    thanks guys - I'm going to go with you (and what was my gut instinct) and just carry on as I am

I feel better than I have for years - with more energy than I have for years - so I can't see that I am unhealthy :)

Thumbs up!

PT needs to use his eyes and ears a little more, and his handheld BF device a little less.
  • Rosie4732
    Options
    Those are highly inaccurate. If you use it then drink 32 ounces of water your body fat reading will change by up to 5% (depending on how hydrated/dehydrated you were the first time).

she did it to me straight after a 1hr rebound session (35mins intense cardio - 10min warming up/cooling down - 15mins abs/derrier work)
    I'd also just drank 1L of water at the end of the session
  • Rosie4732
    Options
    PT needs to use his eyes and ears a little more, and his handheld BF device a little less.

we so need a 'like' button on this forum ;)
  • Rosie4732
    Options
    Exactly what health problems is it causing you?

none - but when you get a slating/lecture from a 'professional' you do tend to panic a bit!
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    its too lean to maintain for everyday. it may effect ur menstrual cycle. thats almost contest lean.
  • bellefille
    bellefille Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Before you completely dismiss the concerns of the PT, could you at least seek the advice of your doctor?

It may be easy to dismiss what she said and go with what a bunch of people on the internet say, but the difference is that she has actually seen you while we only have what you say and the picture you posted. And if you are on long-term hormone treatment, it may be masking whatever natural hormone changes there are in your body.
  • Rosie4732
    Options
    Thanks for concerns guys
    I am seeing my doc for my depo soon so will discuss with her and double check I'm doing ok :)