Gym membership

Options
shawnudg
shawnudg Posts: 2 Member
edited December 2023 in Getting Started
I’d be embarrassed to disclose how long I’ve been paying for a gym membership and haven’t been. Ugh.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    Can you flip it on its head? I have an unlimited plan for my local yoga studio. I made it a game to see how cheap I could make it on a per-class basis.

I was ultimately embarrassed that they were losing money on me, big time. 😂

I have that way of thinking with things like clothes, too. If I’ve added something g to my wardrobe I dont love as much as I expected, I’ll make sure to wear it a few times so the “per wear” cost isn’t so-so bad. Helps alleviates the guilt when I get rid of it.
  • ctimewiz
    ctimewiz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    To be honest, there’s nothing wrong with that when I looked at the email it said I had been a member of planet fitness since 2014 ironically I did not start working out until 2019 …… it’s not about how you start nor should you feel bad also, there’s several different ways to work out find out which one is best for you
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Maybe the gym isn't for you...nothing wrong with that, find something that you want to do and stop spending money on something you don't want to do. Working out does not mean going to a gym.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,328 Member
    Options
    Can you flip it on its head? I have an unlimited plan for my local yoga studio. I made it a game to see how cheap I could make it on a per-class basis.

I have that way of thinking with things like clothes, too. If I’ve added something g to my wardrobe I dont love as much as I expected, I’ll make sure to wear it a few times so the “per wear” cost isn’t so-so bad. Helps alleviates the guilt when I get rid of it.

I have an opposite problem. When I have clothes I really love, I almost never wear them. I don't want to wear them out! I know - silly. I often will skip the laundry when I do wear them because that wears clothes out more than wearing them, and drying is worse than washing.

Ain't our pet peeves awesome? You just have to remember to pet 'em.

I don't go to the gym during the summer. I always hated paying dues. The gym wouldn't let me be "inactive" unless I was leaving the area for three months. I had decided to claim "I am going to be in a different zip code" one summer, and then they sold the gym. The new owners let you go on an inactive membership any time. Small fee instead of full dues. It starts the first of the month following when you tell 'em, and when you go back, your return starts on the first of a month. Now I'm back at it, and even though it's across town, I'm trying to renew my habit. Today was a long swim. There was one lane in the pool. Sweet. I swam for an hour, and during that time I noticed at some point I was the only one in the pool. That sort of encouraged me to keep going. When I got out, all lanes had one swimmer, and a fellow had just asked if he could share my lane. I told him - it's yours.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I have an opposite problem. When I have clothes I really love, I almost never wear them. I don't want to wear them out! I know - silly. I often will skip the laundry when I do wear them because that wears clothes out more than wearing them, and drying is worse than washing.

Oh yeah. Then there’s that problem, too. So the clothes “in the middle” get used most, lol.

I’m trying to break both habits. Stop buying things simply because they fit, and wear the “but it’s too nice to use” pieces.

That’s the reason I gave away MILs fine China and crystal. It was too nice to use. In 35+ years I’d used the dishes ONCE and the wafer thin crystal never.

The yoga studio? I silentky bought a second membership in a family members name, which was never used, because I felt so guilty about using my own to the point of abuse. The owner said that’s what it was for but I felt bad. And I was sooooo grateful she kept up the full schedule via zoom during the pandemic, I wanted to support her. We are so lucky to have such a wonderful studio within an easy walk or bike ride of many members.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    Hey, you know what? You don't need to go to the gym. There's just no reason if you think you'll not like it. And the advantage is that you'll have more money on your account by the end of the month. Brilliant, right? You could use it to do something you do enjoy. And hey, maybe there are free activities, any activities that you find out you'll enjoy and that don't require you to go to the gym.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,328 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Oh yeah. Then there’s that problem, too. So the clothes “in the middle” get used most, lol.

I’m trying to break both habits. Stop buying things simply because they fit, and wear the “but it’s too nice to use” pieces.

That’s the reason I gave away MILs fine China and crystal. It was too nice to use. In 35+ years I’d used the dishes ONCE and the wafer thin crystal never.

The yoga studio? I silentky bought a second membership in a family members name, which was never used, because I felt so guilty about using my own to the point of abuse. The owner said that’s what it was for but I felt bad. And I was sooooo grateful she kept up the full schedule via zoom during the pandemic, I wanted to support her. We are so lucky to have such a wonderful studio within an easy walk or bike ride of many members.

I have a "rule" when I go to thrift stores with respect to shirts. That's where I always bought button-up shirts I would wear for work. I still wear them even though I'm retired. My rule was if I brought a shirt home, I better really like it because I had to give another shirt away. I just had far more than I really needed. It might even be the shirt I just bought that would go away. Now I guess it's the ones that are worn out.... Then a funny thing happened one time. I came home with a shirt that I must have liked a lot because I actually had another that was almost exactly identical but from a different label. Same salmon color base. Same color windowpane check pattern. I actually still have them both, and I wear them!

I think I found the next one I'll give away. I like the fabric and the pattern, but it's just a little too big for me. So maybe I'll get to buy a new shirt soon!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    You may have the record for the longest uninterrupted streak, but I bet I have the record for the most days paid, unused. I belong to a gym that offers outdoor water aerobics 2 months a year. It's cheaper to pay for a whole year there than classes for the summer at other gyms. It's newer. It's closer. It's clean. The instructors are super! I've been a member over 20 years.
    Find a way to do what you ❤️!