Have you heard?

Options
McDonald's has adult happy meals for $16?! Is it true? There's a McDonald's very near me, but it's the one place I never eat, so I don't know. I read it on the internet.

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    People want to see the minimum wage raised and this is what you get, couple that with our current state of the economy due to inflation caused by the current administration and here we are.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Would probably be easy to check by looking at your local McD website. It does sound very expensive for some poor quality food, tbh.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    The price has nothing to do with the food costs. You're paying for the TOY that you get with it.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    The price has nothing to do with the food costs. You're paying for the TOY that you get with it.
    lol. You mean you still get a toy? I’m down! Going for lunch…..

• history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Before anyone gets too excited, it’s not an adult toy. :)

Here’s a review from someone in Toronto, so the price is in Canadian currency, but, yes, it’s about $16 in the States. It’s only a few bucks more than what you would get just buying the food, presumably to cover the cost of (profiting from the cheap labor that produces) the toy. It’s a marketing ploy to promote nostalgia and get people to try to collect all six toys.

https://www.narcity.com/mcdonalds-canada-adult-happy-meal

You’re welcome.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,930 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a 1/2 price happy meal every Thursday between 3 and 4, maybe $1.25. 🤔 could that be why I won't eat there anymore?
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    I used to eat a 1/2 price happy meal every Thursday between 3 and 4, maybe $1.25. 🤔 could that be why I won't eat there anymore?
    lol, or because the food is terrible. Understand that McDonalds is in the real estate business, the food just is a byproduct of their program.

• tomcustombuilder
    Options
    People want to see the minimum wage raised and this is what you get, couple that with our current state of the economy due to inflation caused by the current administration and here we are.

Who does raising minimum wage really help? I'm sure it's nice to see a paycheck that's twice as big as it used to be-- until you realize rent and groceries are twice as much as they used to be.
    it does t help anyone, especially the minimum wage people. A couple dollars extra per hour and prices of everything 5x that. These jobs are for teenagers and not to be made a career out of.

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,930 Member
    Options
    It certainly doesn't help people living on retirement and/or social security. No inflation there.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Give the middle finger wave when driving by one of those places.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,006 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I used to get the kids meal for myself, but stopped eating fast food for the most part. I still get a Wendy's Jr. Cheeseburger maybe once or twice over month. In general, for me,the prices are too high for the food quality. I'd rather just make it at home unless it's Thai curry, Jamaican bbq, tamales, or other favorite foods I'm terrible at cooking.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    So teenagers don't deserve fair wages?🥲
  • collinsje1
    collinsje1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I dont think anyone is saying that. The point is flipping burgers, stocking shelves etc. was never meant to be a career type, family supporting job. They were meant as part time high school/ retirement job or supplmental income jobs. To teach kids how to work and earn a little spending money.

Where you work these types of jobs while you figure out what you want to do with your life.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    collinsje1 wrote: »

I dont think anyone is saying that. The point is flipping burgers, stocking shelves etc. was never meant to be a career type, family supporting job. They were meant as part time high school/ retirement job or supplmental income jobs. To teach kids how to work and earn a little spending money.

Where you work these types of jobs while you figure out what you want to do with your life.

It’s a nice ideal but probably a little nostalgic these days, given who actually works these jobs now. There’s some fascinating data here straight from the horse’s mouth (US restaurant industry via US Census. Check out the pages for age and household status.

https://restaurant.org/getmedia/21a36a65-d5d4-41d0-af5c-737ab545d65a/nra-data-brief-restaurant-employee-demographics-march-2022.pdf
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    collinsje1 wrote: »

It’s a nice ideal but probably a little nostalgic these days, given who actually works these jobs now. There’s some fascinating data here straight from the horse’s mouth (US restaurant industry via US Census. Check out the pages for age and household status.

https://restaurant.org/getmedia/21a36a65-d5d4-41d0-af5c-737ab545d65a/nra-data-brief-restaurant-employee-demographics-march-2022.pdf

I've always been in the camp that believes that if I'm not being paid enough for the work I do, then I need to find something that does. Who am I to argue against anyone staying in low paying, unsecured employment if that is what they want? There are a lot of other, good jobs out there. It's just not for me. Neither is handing over $16 for junk food. The same goes for supplementing the income of low wage earners with undeserved tips.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options

Who does raising minimum wage really help? I'm sure it's nice to see a paycheck that's twice as big as it used to be-- until you realize rent and groceries are twice as much as they used to be.

Better than having people on non raised minimum wage and rents and groceries going up anyway.

I believe in paying everyone a reasonable wage.

Here in Australia junior wages are less than adult wages and that is reasonable.
    Wanting meal prices to stay cheap on the back of underpaying adults - not reasonable to me.

I haven't heard of adult happy meals here.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 750 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Nope. I’m a business owner (have 3) and even I can admit the profits are not going to the low/mid level workers wages but upper management and shareholders. Speaking specifically about the economics and not politics.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    20 piece McNuggets is way cheaper.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png