Steps from Apple Watch have almost no calorie count impact

Options
I previously used a Garmin Fenix watch to track my activities, recently change to an Apple Watch Ultra. Whereas all Garmin steps seemed to count against my calorie target, with the Apple watch steps done without logging an exercise seems to have almost no impact on my calorie count. Yesterday I did 12000 steps with quite a lot of climbing stairs and moving heavy stuff, but no exercise logging. Apple Health shows 894 active calories, MyFitnesspal gives me only 142 as an adjustment for the steps. On the previous day I went to the gym and logged it as exercise in the morning, but did not get many additional steps - here Apple shows 1018 calories, but MyFitnesspal gives me 594 calories. Is there any way to get calories in MFP reflecting the calorie recordings from the Apple watch (similar as it did with Garmin)?

Thanks a lot,
Sascha
Tagged:

Best Answer

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,310 MFP Staff
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Please accept our apologies for the confusion; The adjustment is actually not based on your step count, but instead based on your entire activity for the day. The step count is there as an incentive and though it does contribute to part of your activity level, it's not the sole contributor.

Therefore x amount of steps does not mean you will receive x amount of extra calories.

Please also note that while the numbers shown in MFP and Apple Health are different, that we are receiving the data straight from them. The reason the numbers are different is not because of an inaccuracy, but because these are different sets of information.

The way the adjustment is derived is by comparing your total calories burned from your tracker against the total calories already provided by MyFitnessPal.

When you have earned more calories than MyFitnessPal has already provided, you will then see the difference as your adjustment.

** You can view a breakdown of this calculation by tapping on the adjustment line and then on the adjustment itself (above the Learn More button) in the app, or by clicking the "i" next to the adjustment line in the Cardiovascular section online at www.MyFitnessPal.com **

Please also note: the total calories from MyFitnessPal will include any calories instantly provided by adding separate exercises (outside of your partner adjustment) to MyFitnessPal, along with the calories needed to reach the goals you set when joining the program.

The following article may also help: https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/articles/360032623871-What-is-the-Calorie-Adjustment-in-my-Exercise-Diary-

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't help, I can only say that from reading these boards, Apple doesn't always play well with MFP...