Brussels and sweet potatoes show zero potassium

Options
I logged brussels and sweet potatoes but the app showed zero potassium. Does this mean the app is inaccurate?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• qkpq22t87n
    qkpq22t87n Posts: 2 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Really helpful answers thank you. I’d best not increase my intake of sodium and potassium because the app says I’m not getting enough. ☹️

Answers

• lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,727 Member
    Options
    The database is almost entirely populated by users entering the data on the labels of products they have purchased. I have never yet seen a bag of sprouts or sweet potatoes (or any veg for that matter) with potassium on the label.

While we're on the subject, I don't think I have ever seen a pack of beef with the iron content although I know it's a good source of iron. Many packs of cheese, yogurt etc do not include the calcium content.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    Most of the foods listed have been entered by people like you and me. Since many people don't count potassium (and other things) they don't enter it. Also, a lot of labels may not list certain nutrients. Also foods like fresh Brussels and sweet potatoes won't have a label with nutrition listed.
    Check each entry to make sure the things you care about are listed. If you don't find one, do us all a favor and make a complete entry--one that lists all the nutrients that MFP lists.
    Best wishes ❤️ on your journey.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned that you may be short on some important nutrient, one option is to take a couple of typical eating days, and look up those foods in a more comprehensive source to see where you stand. This is one possible source, the USDA Food Data Central database:

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/

Alternatively, do a web search for foods high in that nutrient to see if you're already eating some, or look at solid resources about that nutrient. There are a bunch of the latter for many nutrients and supplements at this link:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/list-all/

I particularly like the "for professionals" fact sheets there. They have more information than the "for consumers" ones, but aren't super technical or difficult to understand IME.