Samsung Galaxy 6 watch - activity calories and MFP

Options
Hi - I have recently moved from using a Fitbit to a Samsung Galaxy watch for activity tracking and other things. I am having trouble getting my head around the activity calories it comes up with and how these relate to MFP.

Let's use yesterday as an example. My BMR is roughly 1500 calories - as estimated by calculators and also as measured by the watch. Yesterday's activity calories were 1475 (from 27,000 steps of walking - I average about 20,000 a day). So, logically my total calories burnt should be about 2975 - but Samsung tells me they were 2706. This is pretty consistent each day, with my total being about 1200 + activity calories. This suggests the Samsung is treating my BMR as 1200, even though it measures it at 1500.

MFP puts my Samsung calories burned as 3246 and, as my MFP calories burned is set at 2384, gives me a calorie adjustment of 862. MFP seems to be double counting somewhere along the line.

None of this affects my calorie intake, which I set at 2300 each day (to maintain) and don't adjust for exercise calories (unless I have done some serious exercise, in which case I will add a little). But I do want to get an idea of my activity calories anyway.

As an aside, the Samsung calorie count is way less than the Fitbit, but I know that was excessive. For a brief period I was eating back about half my Fitbit-measured exercise calories adjustment and started gaining weight quite rapidly.

Any advice on understanding what is going on with these numbers would be appreciated.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Apologies - mistake post.