Will walking with a gradient make my calf muscles huge?

Options
Well will it?

I like walking with the treadmill on a gradient because it burns calories faster and gets my heart rate up faster etc.
but I really dont want my calf muscles to get any bigger, they're big enough! I start to really feel it in my lower legs after about 15-20mins and tend to take the gradient down and just finish off my hour walking on a flat surface, i still burn a fair few calories this way but it takes longer.
So i was wondering if its all just in my head and im worried about nothing or walking on an incline for extended period of time will actually increase my calf muscles.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It's all in your head.

You may experience some water retention from performing exercise (since exercise tears your muscle fibers and they then retain fluid to repair themselves) but you will not see an actual "bulk".
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    in your head. It will, however, help lift your booty.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    ^^ this. Not your calves, but your a**. It's also a killer core burn the longer you go.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I don't know about calves but my bottom is definitely tighter. I walk outside so I can't change the gradient and have a long uphill to get back home.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No, and furthermore worrying about getting over-developed muscles is entirely fiction.

It is hard enough to get large muscles while doing everything right. It most certainly is not going to happen on accident.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No, and furthermore worrying about getting over-developed muscles is entirely fiction.

It is hard enough to get large muscles while doing everything right. It most certainly is not going to happen on accident.

+1
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Measure the circumference of your calf muscles right now, then keep track of them. If the suddenly grow 2-3 inches, stop what you are doing and try something else :-)

My calf muscles LOOK bigger now then they used to when I was heavier, but they are actually quite a bit smaller because what I've done is shed the fat on them to let the muscle show.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're perceiving some temporary acute swelling, but absolutely not muscle synthesis.
  • xmissxamyx
    xmissxamyx Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had no idea working on an incline would help tone my butt! :D
    Im definetly going to have to crank the incline up as far as it goes if thats the case! anyways thanks for the replies people :)