Motivation & Support

Options
I am new to this & have recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I am having a hard time adjusting & quite frankly do not have support through family/friends. I know at the end of the day it is on me but at the same time it would help to have someone to talk to that is experiencing every day issues in this thing called life.

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    is that type 1 or type 2 diabetes? i have experience dealing with type 2, but none at all with type 1.

• rlbagwell67
    rlbagwell67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Type 1. I take a pill twice a day. No shots. I’m still trying to figure it all out & finding recipes that I would eat & like. It’s just me so a lot of them make to much & am having hard time with reducing the recipe. Plus holding myself accountable.
  • dianemckinney96
    dianemckinney96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i think you may have type 2, it comes on later in life. type 1 you know from childhood. check ???:)
  • icrus8
    icrus8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but my husband was pre-diabetic and went on a 9 month course and learnt a lot. We both did, as the course had learning modules and tests to answer after. He's lost over a stone now and is no longer pre-diabetic !
  • pammyNNP
    pammyNNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would think you are likely type 2. Type 1 requires insulin, T2 can be managed with pills, but sometimes also requires insulin. I dont have all the answers..but I have been diabetic since childhood. It is life altering, but definitely is not unmanageable. One of the most important things for you to pay attention to is your carb intake. Carbs are essential, but they absolutely turn into sugar for your body when you eat them. Many times people think its only the candy and sweets that make your blood sugar high, but thats not actually true. Hopefully you are seeing an endocrinologist for management. They usually have education available through their offices and access to dieticians for meal planning. You can do this! Many us of have been living with diabetes most of our lives and we get you. Education and a positive attitude will go along way toward living with diabetes and minimizing the potential health risks that go along with that. Feel free to friend me if you like :)
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have type 2 diabetes. I have sent friend requests to some of you.