Vibrating pill may give dieters a feeling of fullness.

Options
neanderthin
neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
edited December 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
"The pill is the brainchild of a team of researchers from Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It is a small capsule that contains a motor and a battery. The motor is activated by a gel plug that dissolves in the stomach fluid. Once the motor starts spinning, the pill vibrates for about 38 minutes, the average time food stays in the stomach.

The researchers tested the pill on pigs with stomachs and weights similar to humans. They found that the pill effectively stimulated the vagus nerve, which connects the stomach to the brain. The pill also altered the levels of hormones related to hunger and satiety, such as insulin and ghrelin. As a result, the pigs that received the pill ate about 40% less than the ones that did not.

The pill did not cause any harm or discomfort to the pigs. They acted normally, except for being less active after meals. The researchers observed no signs of inflammation, diarrhea, or vomiting in the animals."

https://interestingengineering.com/health/this-vibrating-pill-could-trick-your-stomach-into-feeling-full

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,531 Member
    Options
    Facinating. So internal stomach sex.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Facinating. So internal stomach sex.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

No.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Stomach orgasms.....
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    No science, just experience.
    Pigs don't vomit.
    Pigs don't show pain as much as people and some other animals.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 753 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    For those that don’t want to read the article-

They measured how fast the devices passed through the animals’ digestive system, finding that they were excreted after about four days.

“A pig can’t tell you how uncomfortable it is.”

The size of the capsules is the biggest obstacle, says Allan Geliebter, a psychologist at Mount Sinai who studies obesity. He says the pills are as large as the biggest capsules patients take today. Patients likely have to swallow two each day to control their appetite.

Now they want to test it on dogs because dogs have a stomach more similar to humans. But, they also can’t communicate discomfort (unless it’s far too serious it becomes physically compromising).

😬 Humans are so weird. If we were told aliens were doing this to us, we’d be furious lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    That sounds dreadful. I bet this is DOA with humans.

Poor animals. My husky died of cancer, but I think the third round of chemo killed him first. He didn't convey discomfort, despite looking ghastly at the end.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    And your guarantee that your alien overlords are not doing this is based on?😵‍💫😳🤔😱🤷‍♂️🤗😎
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 753 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    And your guarantee that your alien overlords are not doing this is based on?😵‍💫😳🤔😱🤷‍♂️🤗😎

My tinfoil hat obviously 🤓
    ml5mpov34wyu.gif
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,477 Member
    Options
    My mind just immediately went to the Mexican jumping beans of my youth.

If it fails you, it was cheap, organic, plus…protein

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

BTW I went to a trampoline park with a toddler yesterday. Can vouch, lots of external jumping didn’t kill my appetite.