New Year's Resolutions

Options
2»

Replies

• GBjared
    GBjared Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This year I'm focusing on a few things...1) My overall health will be a priority - eating better, exercising regularly with a strong focus on my mental, health while becoming more centered and mindful. 2) Improving my golf handicap, I'm currently a 9.6 and and will be working to get below a 5 this year. 3) Make my yoga practice more of a priority - this will greatly help with my first two goals.

Love me for me and those around me. Be more present. Practice with a purpose.
  • anhughes01
    anhughes01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not resolutions as much as what I’d like to achieve
    * release 20kg into the wild. First goal is 10 but 20 by September when I go on a trip. (Really bad at this so 20 is achievable but quite lofty for me.
    * Complete my Te Reo language course
    * Get my golf handicap down
    * Get in more exercise (sedentary job, mustn’t let the work be an excuse)

Look forward to a busy year.

I love that incorporated a "sport/hobby" goal into your resolutions! I think that will add an element of fun and keep you active without even trying or overthinking things and naturally get you moving. I also work a very sedentary job and know that it is very easy to use "being at work ALL day" (even though you sat on your *kitten*) as an excuse to not do anything else as an excuse- so I am proud of you for putting it out into the open to start the ball rolling!!! Go you!!!
  • anhughes01
    anhughes01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Have been working on it already, but continue working on poor mobility from years of a desk job in front of a computer and a long driving commute.

The fact that you know, are already working on making a change, staying committed, and still speaking it into the universe so it stays relevant..... that inspiring!!! Best wishes for the new year!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,296 Member
    Options
    I think I have settled on my focus for 2024. I'll call it "focus" instead of "resolution" or "intention." Similar idea, but a different way to think about it perhaps.

For context, I have been working on GRATITUDE the past year, and I'm improving. It's a worthwhile focus, and I will continue to work on it. I am adding the new focus of: SELF-COMPASSION. It will NOT be easy. It will not be measurable or time bound, so it's not a SMART goal, but it' is something I will keep in the forefront of my thoughts and try to incorporate into my daily life.

I think it is an appropriate focus even for fitness. It can help with mental fitness, and we learn more and more how physical health is linked with mental health. Not only that, but being self-critical gets in the way of "motivation" to do things that are good for the body. I put that in quotes because I often write how doing what we know we need to do for weight management and physical fitness don't require motivation any more than brushing our teeth. It just takes DOING. Self-critical thinking can for sure be a road block. It's something perhaps I should have realized many years ago, but for a long time I was too focused on work to really think about what is important. Now I'm free to do that.

When I screw up, I'll just say, "It's OK. Everyone screws up. You learned from this. I'm still a good person." Yeah - this is going to be really hard.