Accountability

Options
Hey starting a weight loss journey(again).. but I find myself always falling back into laziness. Need some motivation and accountability to stay on track! Help!

Replies

• earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I’m with you - it’s hard for me to stick to my routine right now. What does your routine look like? Or if you don’t have one, what kind of routine are you trying to create?
  • twistybinns
    twistybinns Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to this. Staying motivated and not letting the laziness win is one of my biggest issues on why ive failed in the past.
  • GeekGirl82
    GeekGirl82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Journaling each morning has helped me stay motivated. Just a short 5 min while I have my morning tea. What am I grateful for, What is my 1 fitness goal (I play a game for this, I take my old DnD 20 sided dice and roll it, it lands on a number and I have a list for each number.... 1 = 15 burpees, etc. Each month I up the amount/time, example today I rolled a 3 and it is a 15 min step routine, that's my fitness goal). Find new recipes to try and write the name and link/book. I love making a "game" out of anything I may not really want to do at the time....
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,356 Member
    Options
    If I had to rely on motivation to lose weight and keep it off, I wouldn't be able to do it.

Before I retired, if I had to rely on motivation go to work every day, I don't think I would have been able to keep my job. It's just something I did. We had a deal, see. I would show up on the schedule they set for me, and I would do their bidding, and in response they would give me money.

The same thing is true for weight management or fitness. You just have to realize there's a deal. You show up every day and do something, and in exchange you get something. Like @springlering62 wrote, you need to look into the future to see your reward. Then you just have to do your part of the deal. In this case it's a weight loss journey and "staying on track" in spite of laziness. You do have to be vigilant. Over time you will build good habits, and then it will just be "what you do" not something you have to be motivated to do. Do you ever brush your teeth? What motivates you to do that? It's a waste of two minutes unless you see the reward.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 920 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    instead of trying to force change, i found very low calorie snacks i enjoy, so i can much without going over my calories. i also found that my favorite calorie-free sodas make excellent popsicles. i can eat them whenever i want with no calories. they can also be run through the blender to be a slush with a little cold soda or turned into snow cones.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,444 Member
    Options
    I'm with those above saying accountability is a gift we can only give to ourselves.

No one but me is deciding what I should put in my mouth, chew and swallow. Similar for exercise: My choices create my results.

My advice would be to experiment and find ways to reduce calories (and move more) that require the absolute minimum of motivation. Seek out fun (at least tolerable/practical) ways of gradually reducing calories and moving more. Suffering is optional, and feels icky.

Focus on changing daily routine habits that you follow most of the time, rather than obsessing about that one rare time when you over-eat cake or get in some massive, punitive, exhausting workout. It's the majority of our days that create the majority of our results.

Honestly, if motivation, willpower, or discipline were required, I - as a flaky, hedonistic, aging hippie type - would still be fat and unhealthy . . . maybe even dead (before my current age of 68).

Be accountable to yourself. Your future self will thank you.

Best wishes for success: IME it's worth the effort.
  • bubbeE787
    bubbeE787 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am motivated but my mindset is not always in sync. I have been writing in the notes section of this app- the positive things I’ve done, what I need to work on. I know what to do, I just have not always been doing it - so I’m trying to get on the right track. I’m hoping this method- sort of talking to myself- will get me on the right track. Im my own support system.