Smoking and Weight Loss

Options
13»

Replies

• 123im4u2c
    Options
    Hey Eric ,
    Congrats to you too!. It's amazes me to meet so many people on here that are in the process
    of giving up their smokes! Read what I have said to a couple of people! It was an issue for me because I
    really loved smoking, enjoyed it, and looked forward to every break I had to relax, and having a drink would send
    me into a tizzy I was so happy! Some jimmy Buffet, a Margarita, and a pack of smokes and I thought Yeah, this is
    the life! Then I turned 60 years old, and all of a sudden the word mortality set in! I was a grand mom to one little boy,
    my son and DIL had a little girl and I wondered if I kept this relationship up with smoking would I see them grow up!
    My boyfriend had a stroke and reality took over. The day I was lucky enough to bring him home, I had my last cigarette on the way to picking him up. I knew he would have to give them up, so to support him I told him we would do the buddy system!
    Nine months later we are still going strong! He had his stroke a couple days before Thanksgiving. We both went cold turkey LOL!
    I think we should start our own group on here for those that are going through the process, it takes a lot of hard work and support
    but like I say ...I have come this far, and I am too selfish to give it back! I have gone so far as to avoid some of my friends who smoke like chimneys because I don't want to put a strain on myself and test my will power! I think I'll give some of them a call now,
    because I believe in myself, and I know I'm strong enough to handle it! I swear it's like being in AA. The other day I was driving,
    and just happened to look into my rearview mirror,.Low and behold there was a guy in his truck behind me jamming to his music,
    with a smoke between his fingers, I swear I could smell it LOL I looked at him quite a few times and he caught me, I think he thought I was trying to flirt with him, and he smiled and took a couple more drags. The truth would have upset him had he known, that I wasn't flirting with him, I was just flirting with his cigarette! LMAO!
  • macresca
    macresca Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    NO MATTER WHAT you WILL gain weight.

I have to beg to differ with this. I quit smoking and actually lost weight while doing it. I highly suggest going to your doctor, because they can help you figure out a strategy. My doctor saw how many times I had tried to quit and failed and decided on what ultimately helped me to quit for good (for me it was Chantix, which is not for everyone.) But everyone is different and most people do gain *some* weight, but it doesn't have to be a ton of weight if any at all. You just have to figure out how to deal with the cravings and urges in a positive way, instead of going to food (which believe me I have done in earlier quit attempts.)
  • cindy326
    cindy326 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both gave up smoking 1 year ago yesterday. We had a very big reality check. at the age of 40 my husband had a stroke..from smoking alone NO but it played a part. Overweight, high blood pressure, not exercising, smoking, genetics. We both gained weight at first, then I refused to gain another pound. Was it difficult? YES. Can it be done? YES! We thought stroke, cancer, COPD...etc cant happen to us.. (not me syndrome) but it did. If you want it bad enough you will do it. Or you will get a wake up call and be forced to do it...if you get that second chance. Good luck to you.
  • Enny2405
    Enny2405 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try not to smoke everyday. I am not ready to quit completely as at the end of a long week of work I want to sit down with my bourbon and cigarettes and relax. I am trying very hard to stick to 1500 calories a day and exercise for 30 mins 3 to 4 times a week. The fitter I get the less I will smoke until Friday afternoon comes round - then I know I'm going through a pack along with my third of a bottle of Black Cherry Jim Beam (which I now mix with caffeine free diet coke so it's less calories). I find putting on weight depresses me the most so I am trying to concentrate on that first. When I am feeling less stressed - I don't feel the need to smoke as much and can go for more days without a smoke. Tried doing a total health kick before and crashed and burned. Try to cut back on smokes and food gradually so its not a massive shock to the system and best of luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I started in the same situation and did attempt to stop smoking and change my diet at the same time. This was NOT the best thing for me. My diet was crap and included about 1200 calories of just soda per day. I found that omitting both soda and nicotine was too much at once. I decided to start with the diet, add exercise, and once my body is adjusted some I will again tackle the smoking. My goal is to give myself another month, then quit smoking :)

I had a very similar experience. I still smoke. Losing the weight was my first priority. Baby steps will get you there. Tackling it all at once is setting yourself up for failure, IMHO.

I'm not a smoker so I can't give advice based in that kind of experience. But, in general, with anything, I do know it's best to change one thing at a time. Even making changes to your diet need to happen step by step, as it can be overwhelming otherwise.
  • JustSammi
    Options
    I was in the same boat and when I decided to become healthier and lose weight, I decided I wanted to quit smoking too but thought that I couldn't do both as it would be too hard. Realistically, it's more dangerous for your health to smoke so it makes sense to tackle that first then the weight second if you can't do both.

I came to a compromise and bought an eCig so whilst I'm not really tackling my nicotine addiction, at least it's not impacting my health. The great thing about this is that I'm becoming healthier from not inhaling all the crap that smoking tobacco produces but not suffering nicotine withdrawal meaning I can just concentrate on my weight loss and fitness goals for now.

I'm not far off my goal now, I only have around 20 lbs to lose then I'm going to start slowly cutting down the nicotine strength in my eLiquids until I'm eventually 100% nicotine free. I guess I've got the best of both worlds here. :laugh: Good luck!
  • Jim_1960
    Options
    I have been "vaping" with my ecig now for 35 days now and haven't touched a cigarette.

I was always of the opinion of doing one at a time but then got to the point I decided to do both.
    Best thing I did as the cash I previously used to buy the "monsters", bought me a gym membership.

It is true what other posters are saying here, working out definitely helps with the quit process.

You choose whatever way you wish to do this whether weight loss/*kitten*, or *kitten*/weight loss.
    Either way it a huge step in your lifestyle change.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.