Losing weight after menopause

Options
Hi. I used this app years ago and got down to my skinny 105 petite weight that I had in college. Now I'm going through menopause and the weight will not budge. Why, oh why, does being a woman have to be a disease? I'm trying MFP again because it worked so well in the past. Anyone here having success losing weight during menopause? I'd love to connect and learn.
Tagged:

Replies

• cherylruck2019
    cherylruck2019 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I can ride my bike 100 miles and still weigh the same. What to do? What is MFP?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,506 Member
    Options
    MmeScarlet wrote: »
    Hi. I used this app years ago and got down to my skinny 105 petite weight that I had in college. Now I'm going through menopause and the weight will not budge. Why, oh why, does being a woman have to be a disease? I'm trying MFP again because it worked so well in the past. Anyone here having success losing weight during menopause? I'd love to connect and learn.

Yes. There are quite a few of us here.

For me, 50-some pounds lost, at age 59-60 (around 14-15 years into menopause in my case), while also severely hypothyroid (properly medicated). I'd been overweight/obese for around 30 years before that; have been at a healthy weight for 7+ years since losing, now age 68.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    MmeScarlet wrote: »

Something like Estroven can SOMETIMES help control menopausal weight gain. This type of supplement or an estrogen supplement can help with weight gain and other symptoms. But you should always check with your doctor before adding these items.

Without that, adding exercise and keeping your blood sugar steady will help some. The body changes, metabolism slows, and by reducing processed sugar and keeping your blood sugar more even AND adding exercise--it can help boost the metabolism and help with weight loss.

Good luck.

• Thegreenbeliever
    Thegreenbeliever Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’ve been taking a capsule of Royal Jelly for at least 2 decades, and have never had a menopause symptom. My weight has increased since I was in my 40s (in my 60s now) but, that’s because I’ve been eating too much! I also found that the time of COVID messed up my weight- couldn’t go to the gym etc…and found excuses. Keep trying to get some exercise, and maybe do some research on Royal Jelly. It’s a strange little supplement but has been very effective with me. Hang in there!