how do you log rebounding (trampoline)?

Options
i just got a new pilates machine with a rebounder attachment. it kept my heart rate at the same rate as a moderate bike ride, but when i went to log it, there was nothing listed under rebound, rebounder or trampoline.

i know i can create an entry, but i wondered what others here who rebound are logging it is.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Oooh post pic?

Did you get the Reformer machine?

I spent Tuesday morning at a trampoline park with a toddler. Excellent workout and flat out fun. I’m intrigued now by those who talk about rebounding.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Several sources suggest that trampolining recreationally would be about a 3.5 METS activity. That would be equivalent to cycling at about a 30-50W average, according to METS tables.

Given that, seems like you could use a calculator like this one to estimate calories, and set up an MFP custom exercise to log it:

https://captaincalculator.com/health/calorie/calories-burned-trampoline-calculator/

I'm not saying that's gospel, but could be maybe close enough to be useful.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I rebound and use "Jogging in place" to log my daily exercise. I generally do 20-30 minutes every day. I think the above captaincalculator link might skew a little on the low side. Maybe that calculation is for just bouncing on a huge competition sized trampoline. Odds are if you are rebounding, you're probably moving much faster and more intensely.
  • jodiefrancis36
    jodiefrancis36 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had too practice my lycrail routine for the mid season tryout and will be filming on 9 th for Celticsunder new management pirates
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Oooh post pic?

Did you get the Reformer machine?

I spent Tuesday morning at a trampoline park with a toddler. Excellent workout and flat out fun. I’m intrigued now by those who talk about rebounding.

I did get it, but I didn't take any pics. I'll do that next time I open it up. It's currently folded up, and it folds up small enough to fit next to my cable machine, tucked neatly by the wall. Bouncing on it was tons of fun and got my heart rate up.
  • zebasschick
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I rebound and use "Jogging in place" to log my daily exercise. I generally do 20-30 minutes every day. I think the above captaincalculator link might skew a little on the low side. Maybe that calculation is for just bouncing on a huge competition sized trampoline. Odds are if you are rebounding, you're probably moving much faster and more intensely.

i logged it as moderate stationary bike as my heart rate was similar, but i like jogging in place better.

i probably was moving more than it seemed. it was fun, too! i'll be adding it to my workout routine!

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited January 1
    Options
    For me, jogging in place most closely matched the motions I do on the rebounder. Mostly it's a fast high knee jog with intervals of side-to-side squats, skaters' lift steps and some fast feet drills that have me breathless. I never jump and always have one or two feet touching the canvas.
    The coolest thing about the rebounder is how it's reshaped my body. All my life, at every weight, I've had to buy curvy-fit jeans because of my ham hock thighs. Thanks to the rebounder, my saddlebags finally melted away. Best of all, it's FUN! I've been rebounding since mid 2020 and have yet to weary of it.
  • zebasschick
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    For me, jogging in place most closely matched the motions I do on the rebounder. Mostly it's a fast high knee jog with intervals of side-to-side squats, skaters' lift steps and some fast feet drills that have me breathless. I never jump and always have one or two feet touching the canvas.
    The coolest thing about the rebounder is how it's reshaped my body. All my life, at every weight, I've had to buy curvy-fit jeans because of my ham hock thighs. Thanks to the rebounder, my saddlebags finally melted away. Best of all, it's FUN! I've been rebounding since mid 2020 and have yet to weary of it.

good thinking.

thanks for that info. my knees/ankles hurt with a regular rebounder, but the attachment on this machine seems to work out well so far. i wonder if it will change my physique...

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I’m so intrigued by all the raves about rebounding here over the years, and I had such a great time at the trampoline park, I’ve ordered an inexpensive bungee rebounder to see if I like it and will use it before considering an upgrade. It might be like the Bosu and gather dust….
  • zebasschick
    Options
    I’m so intrigued by all the raves about rebounding here over the years, and I had such a great time at the trampoline park, I’ve ordered an inexpensive bungee rebounder to see if I like it and will use it before considering an upgrade. It might be like the Bosu and gather dust….

i had lots of fun years ago with a cheap $40 rebounder. i hope you enjoy yours - keep in mind that the cheaper ones tend to be higher resistance, while some more expensive models you sink into a bit more, so it's not exactly the same experience. let us know what you think!

• zebasschick
    edited January 3
    Options
    i just added 4 levels of rebounder exercise to the cardio database - extra light, light, vigorous and beast mode. i went with 4 calories per minute for extra light, 5 calories per minute for extra light, 7 calories per minute for vigorous and 9 calories per minute for beast model.

let me know if you think the calories should be tweaked. i used a calorie counter for my own age, heart rate and weight to come up with those numbers, but you know how that can go...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    Michelle Briehler had a lot of rebounder workouts on her YouTube channels. This is the link to her beginner playlist, but she has intermediate and advanced as well