JUST FOR TODAY... One day at a time .. Daily Commitment for 2024

Options
mytime6630
mytime6630 Posts: 4,198 Member
edited December 2023 in Motivation and Support
A new year ... a fresh start. New Beginnings .. new goals!
Habits are hard to change. And losing weight, for so many, is a lifelong battle. Even if a person is at goal weight ... it is work to maintain that weight, and old habits can come back so quickly.
So that is why I keep starting this thread. While it may not always give us the results we want weight-wise... it keeps us going. It keeps us from giving up after just a few months, and not even trying. It keeps us mindful. It is encouragement from each other. It is a online community .. of friends that truly care, and understand.
It is sharing our struggles, along with our wins. And it also makes us realize that losing weight and getting healthy is so much more than a number on the scale. And... you are not alone in this struggle.
It is a way to be accountable!
If we can set goals for ourselves for JUST ONE DAY, maybe that one day will lead to another day, an entire week, an entire month, and this will help us to develop better habits for life, taking this one day at a time.
Your goals can be as few as just one goal, or many goals for the day. You can post once a week, or once a day.. whatever works for you.
So if anyone wants to join us this year, we would love to have you.
2024 can be the best year ever!!
To bookmark this new thread and help you find it each day, just click on the little yellow star. That bookmarks it, so you can find it easy. When you go to post again, to the right at the top of your page is a bell, a star, and a little flower. Click on the star, and it will show your book marked threads.
jxe76l7zv24t.png

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    JFT Tuesday - no treats after dinner!
    1. Stretch. Duo.
    2. YMCA class 930.
    3. Blog post - WOTY reflections.
    4. Call CVS - meds?
    5. Call library to check that books were found.
    6. Pack materials for school.
    7. Do something fun - but what?
    8. Evening: Open - blog? Dinner: Soup. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    9. Bedtime: Gratitude journal. Duo. Therapy exercises: crunches, push-ups, squats, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. Update JFT.
    10. Upcoming: Set up digital portfolio. Get elastic for shoes & take to shoe repair. Discuss Clois & Stuffy. Check in w parents regularly. Get stamps! Need to return the Dolly wig. Need to write blog posts. Contact S about members' displeasure at "being told who to vote for" and requests for info on ALL candidates. Figure out how to pull music from cassette to digital file. Compare costs for ESPs and get D and C to join an org. Hang white wire shelf in small bathroom. Shelves in bedroom. Sash for space dress. Gounod from tape to digital file. When are we going to McKay's next? Take fabric donation. (Friday?) Family pic Saturday. Funeral Saturday. Organize home repair needs list - soonish? Check in with B about organizing if I haven't heard from Patrick (how to initiate conversations with ppl I don't work with?) by THURSDAY 5P.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    End of 2019: 196.4
    End of 2020: 187.4
    End of 2021: 194.4
    End of 2022: 201.2
    Today: 203.0

Long-term goals/progress

1. Professional / read current research. 2. Professional / present at conferences. 3. Professional / publish scholarly articles. 4. Professional / observe student needs and develop supports. 5. Professional / complete a doctorate. 6. Personal / retire comfortably. 7. Personal / renovate house. 8. Community / local progress. 9. Community / time with friends & family. 10. Family concerns. 11. Medical/fitness.

1. Research: Five paragraph essay. How student attitudes affect standardized test results; student surveys.

2. Presenting: Promote YT channel. Invite guests. Record mini-lessons.

3. Publishing: Read one journal article weekly; respond in a blog post. Clois for CWG. S&F for YT channel. Goodreads purchase list for McKay’s. Weekly blog series: Weekly Wishes (Monday) and Weekly Wins (Friday).

4. Observed student needs: Changing words between parts of speech (vocabulary/grammar). Synthesizing info from multiple sources, drawing conclusions (RI/W). EFFECTIVE transitions (W). Every day v everyday; any one v anyone (grammar). Sub/obj pronouns & structure (grammar). Poss v pl nouns (grammar). Short nonfic from Lat Amer/Africa/Asia (World Lit).

5. Doctorate: Research programs, requirements, resources, cost, timeline.

6. Retirement: Update name on JSSB acct. Check investments. Theater CV. Entertainment experience. Duolingo/Lang8.

7. House: Floor joists. Siding. Gutters. Floors.

8. Local progress: Library. Theater. PC2V. City/county govt. Community kitchen. She Should Run vision statement. Ed assoc. Ugly Christmas sweater. Prison abolition; reduce / re-allocate responsibilities dumped on cops. Push for diversity. Turn left!

9. Friends & extended family: Organize photos. Write postcards. Call weekly! Look for activities to do with friends. Purchase doll with long hair; practice French braid. Dance: tap, salsa, samba. Rhythm nation.

10. Immediate family: Clean room; work toward sleeping in room. Clean up behind desk. Make appointments for hearing, sleep study, vet. Keep track of plans for Rock City and Disney. Drive white car together; practice solo driving. Work on staying home solo when dark.

11. Medical: YMCA classes. Lift @ lunch. Maintain @ 155 w defined muscle tone. At 194, purple All-Stars. 189, 1pr black 1pr white leggings. 179, 2 Svaha Rachel dresses. 169 suit - Indochino? 159 swing dance lessons. Talk to PCP about feet (cannot do calf raises, pushups, planks, mountain climbers, etc.) Why can’t I sleep better? Therapy Wed Jan 3 3P. Dentist ? Massage Dec 16 6P. Need to RS colonoscopy. PCP virtual appointment Jan 3 2:15p.

13. Therapy thoughts: I need to talk to my parents about later-life plans (particularly assisted living and funeral preferences). I've never been through something like that and would like to know how to go about making arrangements, but I don't really know who to talk to about it. Identify what I want: to have my professional expertise acknowledged and given the respect it deserves, and to be taken as a legitimate authority. Is it possible to find a faith community that does not include worship? What is the purpose of worship?

14. Just for fun: Start sketching dragon on a pile of books, offering one to the armored knight, & banner that reads "Treasure should not be hoarded / It should be shared." Use AI for ideas.

WFTY: Sustainable. I got my video done and am going to try to have it go live tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how things are at the Y.
    2020 WFTY: Progress. 2021 WFTY: Persistence. 2022 WFTY: Focus. 2023 WFTY: Priorities
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    @mytime6630 - I’m so happy to see you started a new thread for 2024.
    I am recommitting to my weight loss this year. I first joined you and this wonderful group of friends in April 2018. The last five years have been rough for me, but I’m determined to make a change this year.
    I really want to see a difference by May as that’s when my practicum starts. I feel I’ll need my energy and stamina.

@PackerFanInGB - I’m glad your 2nd round of chemo seems to be a bit easier. I hope it continues and I hope you don’t have to have too many rounds

@pridesabtch - it sounds like you had a good Christmas. Sorry Tim is going through some trials.

It’s so nice to see you all.

JFT - Jan 1 2024
    Log all Food
    1L of water
    Move

• CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Traveling from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas, then tomorrow we go home.

Hour commitment - I won’t eat again until dinner. Can still have my metamusal.

Happy New Year to everyone!
    Traveling from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas, then tomorrow we go home.

Hour commitment - I won’t eat again until dinner. Can still have my metamusal.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Metamucil is my secret superpower
  • more_freggies76
    more_freggies76 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited January 2
    Options
    @CrazyMermaid1 - funny! I have to remember to take it and actually, I like the taste, so I say I can still have it after I’ve stopped eating just so I don’t feel guilty. :D Guilt is never a good thing for me! (I know it’s a little bizarre.)

Hour commitment - I won’t eat again until tomorrow.

JFT for Jan 2 - No desserts today!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Intro for those new to the group. My name is Nikki, I'm 50 years old and have been struggling with weight all my life. I've been very thin & fit (105lb) and very thick & lazy (200lb) at different stages, but have never found a healthy relationship with food/exercise. Calorie counting helps keep me in check when I do it, but I've ben very lax the past year. I tried a quick fix in the fall of 22 and lost 50 pounds in 3 months, but it wasn't maintainable and I totally reverted back to old habits. That just lead me to give up and get down on myself. This year is a year for simplicity. Eat, count, record, adjust... When I drop a few pounds, I'll increase activity beyond my weekly spin class, but for now low impact is needed.

JFT Tuesday
    - Up by 5:30 :(
    - Weigh :smiley:
    - Shower :(
    - Work by 7:00 :(
    - Meeting at 7:00 :smiley: took it from home
    - Figure out discrepancies in vacation allotments
    - Log food
    - Stay in the green
    - Dinner in
    - Bed early
  • pridesabtch
    Options
    Forgot one, well 2...

- Drink more water
    - Limit Soda to 2/day
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,475 Member
    edited January 2
    Options
    @mytime6630 Thanks for the JFT thread for the new year, Joan!

@snowflake1968 Glad to see you back!

And to everyone else, my fellow JFTers, I look forward to this year's journey with you. :smiley:

My intro: I'm Carmela, 66 years old and retired from a long career as an internal auditor, mostly at financial institutions, as of Oct. 2022. Last year was a learning curve of how to live when my life is not regulated by a job.

I have been a member of MFP since Nov. 2015 and of JFT in 2017 (I think). Before that, I had been in Weight Watchers, but I tired of following their plan, which seemed to change yearly. My weight has gone down, then back up, several times. In my first year of retirement, I also tired of being on the computer/phone, continuously logging my food, so I stopped for a few months. Mistake, because I ate more than I should. I also finally recognized that my metabolism has slowed with age, much as I hate that. So Nov. 2023 I re-committed to logging all my food and posting in JFT. Since I love food, and I don't want to suffer, I have a low weekly weight-loss goal set. What do you know, slowly the weight has started to drop again. Yay.

Oh, and I am a dedicated walker, almost always with our dog. I try to average 3-4 miles with dog 4-5 days per week. I occasionally participate in area 5K or 10K races, walking division.
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,475 Member
    edited January 2
    Options
    JFT 1/2 T
    1) Make pasta with spinach for supper / log all food / 64+ oz. water
    2) Bundle up & walk dog
    3) Wash dishes / call Mom / eCheck-in for Thurs physical / swap ins. & member cards for 2024 in purse / read / digital declutter / other?

About me:
    I'm Carmela
    This is my lifestyle. It's. Not. A. Diet.
    Height 5'4"
    66 yrs old
    Reside in Green Bay, WI, USA

2023 Goals:
    1) Ultimate goal weight 150#... I'll be thrilled if I can get back down to 160# this year
    • Post weekly weigh-in on MFP for accountability. Saturday a.m. is my "official" weigh-in day, and I track daily on a separate app (for the visual). My digital scale only shows half pound increments & I'm too cheap to buy a fancier scale.
    • Take measurements & log on MFP every month end
    2) Plan meals most days & prelog meals/snacks whenever possible on MFP
    • Try new recipes Unfortunately, no wall oven until mid-Feb or later & sad me, but try slow cooker & stove recipes
    3) Exercise 5-6x per week (minimum 4x)
    • Walk dog 3-4 miles, treadmill when necessary in winter, weights/my home version of circuit & other x-training
    • PT (physical therapy) exercises to strengthen arthritic knees & hip flexor
    4) MapMyWalk app You Vs. the Year 1,024km challenge started on Jan. 1
    • In 2023 I logged 726.88 miles, or 1,169.8 km & completed yearly challenge 11.14.23 :star:
    • In 2022 I logged 500.4 miles, or 805km (knee issues).
    5) At least 7,500 steps per day
    • I can earn $10 every month on my Medicare Advantage Plan with 10+ days of 7,500 steps
    6) Participate in my favorite area races ~ I walk, I do not run
    • Registered 12.29.23 for Bellin 10K race on 6.8.24 & eligible to have race fee waived
    • Register for my other usual events, and add other possible events
    7) Be considerate and loving to hubby and have fun together
    • Always a good idea
    8) Make efforts to keep in touch with parents, siblings and friends (most live in other towns or states)
    • Visit parents 1-2 times each month, phone calls in between ~ they're in their late 80s and live 90 miles away
    • Monthly contact with former colleagues/others, now that I'm retired
    9) Declutter bedroom, home office, basement, books in living room
    • Not as much progress as I hoped last year, but not worse.

Keeping my Word for the Year: Tenacity ~ persistent determination; the mental strength to resist opposition, danger or hardship
  • pridesabtch
    Options
    @mytime6630 - I’m so happy to see you started a new thread for 2024.
    I am recommitting to my weight loss this year. I first joined you and this wonderful group of friends in April 2018. The last five years have been rough for me, but I’m determined to make a change this year.
    I really want to see a difference by May as that’s when my practicum starts. I feel I’ll need my energy and stamina.

@PackerFanInGB - I’m glad your 2nd round of chemo seems to be a bit easier. I hope it continues and I hope you don’t have to have too many rounds

@pridesabtch - it sounds like you had a good Christmas. Sorry Tim is going through some trials.

It’s so nice to see you all.

JFT - Jan 1 2024
    Log all Food
    1L of water
    Move

So good to see you post! I've missed you!
  • more_freggies76
    Options
    JFT 1/02/24 - just one thing today, no desserts!

We’re leaving Las Vegas soon to head home. This has been a very beautiful trip with my husband.
  • more_freggies76
    edited January 2
    Options
    Hour commitment - After I finish my yogurt, I won’t eat again until after 5 pm. I can still have my metamusal!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    JFT Wednesday- no treats after dinner! LOAD AND START CAR EARLY!
    1. Stretch. Attempt Y class.
    2. Duo.
    3. Blog post - WOTY reflections.
    4. School meeting.
    5. Department meeting.
    6. Make image post on FB for Dems meeting.
    7. Zoom checkups.
    8. Evening: Livestream. Dinner: Pizza. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    9. Bedtime: Gratitude journal. Duo. Therapy exercises: crunches, push-ups, squats, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. Update JFT.
    10. Upcoming: Set up digital portfolio. Get elastic for shoes & take to shoe repair. Discuss Clois & Stuffy. Check in w parents regularly. Get stamps! Need to return the Dolly wig. Need to write blog posts. Contact S about members' displeasure at "being told who to vote for" and requests for info on ALL candidates. Figure out how to pull music from cassette to digital file. Compare costs for ESPs and get D and C to join an org. Hang white wire shelf in small bathroom. Shelves in bedroom. Sash for space dress. Gounod from tape to digital file. When are we going to McKay's next? Take fabric donation. (Friday?) Organize home repair needs list - soonish? Check in with B about organizing if I haven't heard from Patrick (how to initiate conversations with ppl I don't work with?) by THURSDAY 5P.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    End of 2019: 196.4
    End of 2020: 187.4
    End of 2021: 194.4
    End of 2022: 201.2
    Today: 205.0

Long-term goals/progress

1. Professional / read current research. 2. Professional / present at conferences. 3. Professional / publish scholarly articles. 4. Professional / observe student needs and develop supports. 5. Professional / complete a doctorate. 6. Personal / retire comfortably. 7. Personal / renovate house. 8. Community / local progress. 9. Community / time with friends & family. 10. Family concerns. 11. Medical/fitness.

1. Research: Five paragraph essay. How student attitudes affect standardized test results; student surveys.

2. Presenting: Promote YT channel. Invite guests. Record mini-lessons.

3. Publishing: Read one journal article weekly; respond in a blog post. Clois for CWG. S&F for YT channel. Goodreads purchase list for McKay’s. Weekly blog series: Weekly Wishes (Monday) and Weekly Wins (Friday).

4. Observed student needs: Changing words between parts of speech (vocabulary/grammar). Synthesizing info from multiple sources, drawing conclusions (RI/W). EFFECTIVE transitions (W). Every day v everyday; any one v anyone (grammar). Sub/obj pronouns & structure (grammar). Poss v pl nouns (grammar). Short nonfic from Lat Amer/Africa/Asia (World Lit).

5. Doctorate: Research programs, requirements, resources, cost, timeline.

6. Retirement: Update name on JSSB acct. Check investments. Theater CV. Entertainment experience. Duolingo/Lang8.

7. House: Floor joists. Siding. Gutters. Floors.

8. Local progress: Library. Theater. PC2V. City/county govt. Community kitchen. She Should Run vision statement. Ed assoc. Ugly Christmas sweater. Prison abolition; reduce / re-allocate responsibilities dumped on cops. Push for diversity. Turn left!

9. Friends & extended family: Organize photos. Write postcards. Call weekly! Look for activities to do with friends. Purchase doll with long hair; practice French braid. Dance: tap, salsa, samba. Rhythm nation.

10. Immediate family: Clean room; work toward sleeping in room. Clean up behind desk. Make appointments for hearing, sleep study, vet. Keep track of plans for Rock City and Disney. Drive white car together; practice solo driving. Work on staying home solo when dark.

11. Medical: YMCA classes. Lift @ lunch. Maintain @ 155 w defined muscle tone. At 194, purple All-Stars. 189, 1pr black 1pr white leggings. 179, 2 Svaha Rachel dresses. 169 suit - Indochino? 159 swing dance lessons. Talk to PCP about feet (cannot do calf raises, pushups, planks, mountain climbers, etc.) Why can’t I sleep better? Therapy Wed Jan 3 3P. Dentist ? Massage Dec 16 6P. Need to RS colonoscopy. PCP virtual appointment Jan 3 2:15p.

13. Therapy thoughts: I need to talk to my parents about later-life plans (particularly assisted living and funeral preferences). I've never been through something like that and would like to know how to go about making arrangements, but I don't really know who to talk to about it. Identify what I want: to have my professional expertise acknowledged and given the respect it deserves, and to be taken as a legitimate authority. Is it possible to find a faith community that does not include worship? What is the purpose of worship?

14. Just for fun: Start sketching dragon on a pile of books, offering one to the armored knight, & banner that reads "Treasure should not be hoarded / It should be shared." Use AI for ideas.

WFTY: Sustainable. Mid-morning class was small. Kind of worried about the before-work crowd tomorrow, though.
    2020 WFTY: Progress. 2021 WFTY: Persistence. 2022 WFTY: Focus. 2023 WFTY: Priorities
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just need to drink some more water, pay my niece for my new walking vests (big pockets for keys, phone, tissues, dog lead and dog bags) and read some of the bible. I reviewed my prayers from five years and it's amazing how much the world has changed in that time and how differently I think. I'm not on cooking dinner anymore, just gonna have a chicken breast with some salad. I was going to make a stirfry like last night.

I'm not sure what's on the agenda for tomorrow, maybe:
    -Walk 5000 steps
    -Cook something
    -Collect my vest/s
    -Track all my food
    -Do some reading
    -Drink 4 glasses of water
    -Read the bible
    -Hang up washing
    -Review my bucket list
    -Organise my medications
    -Get a blood test and skin swab
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Goals for 2024
    End of 2023: 117.1kg
    End of 2024: Between 65kg and 70kg

-Weigh myself everyday
    -Learn how to cook
    -Do a minimum of 10,000 steps everyday
    -Do mapmywalk daily and take pictures, because it's FUN!
    -Save up for a desktop computer
    -Make 5 friends
    -Actually go to church
    -Fit clothing in any store
    -Have a well defined jawline
    -Earn an extra $250 per week
    -Go on a date
    -Reverse my fatty liver and diabetes
    -Be healthy
    -Travel to different places in New Zealand
    -Buy some clothing from a surf shop
    -Have some labelled clothing
    -Go down 4 dress sizes

Long-term goals/progress
    -Look good in clothes and hopefully without them! Have an awesome wardrobe. Be strong. Be fit. Look healthy and be healthy.
    -Travel the world
    -Publish a book
    -Get married
    -Go to a Taylor Swift concert
    -Get smarter
    -Read more books
    -Expand my vocab
    -Get toned arms and a toned stomach
    -Appear in a movie
    -Start a podcast with my dad
    -Learn how to cook
    -Count my blessings
    -Thank God for things
    -Be a grateful person and be generous with others
    -Walk/run an average of 15,000 steps everyday
    -Be extremely fit
    -Have good posture
    -Be trained in many things
    -Have multiple streams of income
    -Own my own home
    -Have a vege garden
    -Have lots of pets

About me:
    Height 5'8"
    34yrs old
    Reside in New Zealand

• shelleym39
    shelleym39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New but old.
    I have had MyFitnessPal for several years but never have really completed my weight loss goal. I am trying again 😔.
    JFT: log in my foods
    Set weight loss goals
    210lbs currently
    180 goal weight