Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
arabianhorselover
arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I see it recommended that a person get a heart rate monitor, but I don't know anything about them Can you recommend a good one, and where to get it? And how do I use it?

Thank you.

Replies

• daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I guess first things first, why do you want one??

I use mine to get an accurate track of calories burned when doing aerobic activity (running, insanity program etc)
    and to track my heart rate when doing interval training, knowing when ive recovered and can start again.

i personally like the polar brand. I have the FT4
  • spammarino
    spammarino Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use a chest strap Polar Nike+ transmitter with my Nike+ Sportswatch. Quite a pricey combo because the watch has built in GPS. I believe you can get watch/strap combos for sub $100 price range. You can find them im running or sports supply stores or online of course. I tend to browse amazon for the reviews.

They are pretty much plug and play and should start working right away. The benefits would be more accurate calorie burn tracking and you can physically see your heart rate which helps you determine what 'zone' you are in. ie aerobic, anerobic, max, fat loss.
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My recommandation is you get a heart rate monitor in combination with a fitness wristband so they sync up with eachother in realtime and calculate your steps , heart rate , blood pressure , sleep etc , 101% the most accurate way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 ($90) or FT7 ($110) are your best bet if you are budget conscience. They are both good HRMs and give you relatively accurate calorie burns for an aerobic event. It's still an estimate and I always took about 70%-80% of what my FT4 told me to account for estimation error and BMR burn. Anything below the FT4 price wise and you're getting into scetchy territory in RE to accuracy.

To be honest, I don't even pay attention to the calorie burn anymore and use it primarily to make sure I'm training in whatever HR zone I need to in order to accomplish my fitness goals. But when I did MFP, I did use it to estimate my exercise burn for eating back those calories and it worked well for me.

Keep in mind that the further you get from a true aerobic even, the less accurate a HRM is going to be in estimating your calorie burn. This is because your burn is not determined directly by your HR...for example, if you have a high resting HR, that doesn't mean you have some super fast metabolism and are burning all kinds of calories...the monitor simply uses your HR as an indicator of what level of VO2 max you are working at to come up with an estimate, basically for the average joe out there of your same stats. When you start doing exercise outside of steady state cardio...for example, lifting weights...that is not a good indicator of VO2 max and therefore the HRM becomes increasingly inaccurate for calorie burn...if that makes sense.
  • mexolexo
    Options
    I got one for my birthday. It was from walmart sportline cardio660. I believe it was around the 60 dollar range. Best gift I ever got. Super motivation to see calories burned and makes using MFP so much easier and effective.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I will need to do some research, and thinking on this. Not sure it's something I really need.
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have one from Polar, the FT40. But you can go on to their website and actually browse all of the models and they will tell you what they do and what they are for and your needs too!
    http://www.polar.com/us-en
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 as well. It's great. Comfy, easy to use, and PINK! I almost got aqua. It was the best for my budget and uses, but the colors were a bonus. I've been using it for almost 2 months with no problems so far. But I also know that Polar has a reputation for great customer service, so if problems arise, I'm sure they'll be easy to resolve.
  • Ladina1990
    Ladina1990 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Sports-PHRM38PN-Monitor-Calories/dp/B006QP0R2E/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378318431&sr=8-13&keywords=heart+rate+monitor

Check out this one if you are on a budget, it works and it gets the job done. I have one in green
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4!
  • PLoveElliott
    PLoveElliott Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and like it so far.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4 , super easy to use, never had an issue, only had to replace watch batteries once.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I feel like most of the calorie estimates on MFP are really high, and I wanted a better estimate of my actual burn. Bought the Polar FT4 in February from Sears on a super sale--think I paid right at $45 for it :)

I wear my HRM when I'm doing "deliberate" exercise and sometimes if I'm doing a high-energy activity and I'm just curious about the burn. As others have mentioned, really best for aerobic-type activities.

I have worn my FT4 while swimming and doing water aerobics, and it works fine. Only problem is when the chest strap slips a little and I lose signal. The manual does state that you shouldn't push the buttons on the receiver (watch) while underwater, though.

ETA: The other benefit to wearing an HRM is that you start to become more conscious of your heart rate and how different activities impact it. As a beginning runner, I find the information invaluable to my training. I'm realizing very quickly that my RHR (resting heart rate) has gotten significantly lower since I started a regular exercise program, and also that my heart rate recovery rate has also improved. Good stuff!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want it for. Are you trying to track calories? Do you want to use it for heart rate zone training for a cardio event, such as a running race? Do you want it just because everyone else has one? Polar is pretty awesome, but you can get the bluetooth monitor and get the Polar app for you phone if you want. Or you can use other apps if you prefer your phone instead of a watch.

If you want a HRM to track calorie burn from weight lifting, don't bother. For more on this, search forums...there are some good detailed posts on this. But the gist if that HRMs are good for constant activity, not intermittent.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If you are in the UK and are unsure, I don't think you can go wrong with a Lidl or Aldi special, between £12.99 and £14.99 (watch and chest strap). A three year warranty and my Crivit was within 1 BPM when tracked against piece of Gym equipment.

It is not waterproof so no swimming with it, but if you decide you want one and you want to try to see how you get on with them then I don't think you can go far wrong, especially if, like me, you don't agree that £75.00 is budget or I might just be tight :tongue:
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have two...I have a polar and one I got from ALDI's. I paid 50 for my polar and 20 for my other one and honestly the one from ALDI's is just as good. Both of mine have chest straps since they are suppose to be more accurate and I mainly use mine to keep up with my calories burned and my HR. I recommend one to anyone who is working out so they can see how much they are actually pushing themselves.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I see it recommended that a person get a heart rate monitor, but I don't know anything about them Can you recommend a good one, and where to get it? And how do I use it?

Thank you.

I depend on what you plan to do exercise wise, how much you are willing to spend, and what bells and whistles you want.

I love my Polar FT60. It was a bit more expensive, but it fit with what I was doing. It was waterproof, so I could use it to swim. It has a training program built in that develops times in specific HR zones for meeting your training goals.

I wish I would hav splurged for the FT80 sometimes, as it is supposed to have some program for weight training.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40. Not FT4. The 40 has more features than the FT4. I got it for $90. It's awesome, and I love it.
  • sarahmax0817
    Options
    Question about the Polar does it have a chest strap you have to wear? I have had one of those before and they are just so uncomfortable especially when your all sweaty! :)
This discussion has been closed.