Routines

Options
Jacquey16
Jacquey16 Posts: 3 Member
Do you think it's smart to try again with a routine that worked before...but gave up? It was both nutritional and physical.

Answers

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Well if you didn't stick with it, then it may not be one for you. The idea is to live a lifestyle you can habitually do forever. If the diet and exercise program wasn't one you enjoyed doing, then you'll backtrack in the same place again once you feel you've comfortably reached a certain goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    I'm with Niner on this: If it didn't stick last time, it probably isn't the right routine for you.

Try something else.

I'm a big believer in figuring out the changes we can live with, that add up to better results: Eating foods I enjoy, working on getting them to add up to reasonable nutrition at reasonable calories. Doing active things (formal exercise or otherwise) that I enjoy, that are mildly yet manageably challenging so my fitness improves and I get health benefits.

That worked for me for loss (obese to healthy weight), and 7+ years of maintenance since. Weight management doesn't need to be some kind of brutally intense and difficult thing, as if being overweight or out of shape were sins that required expiation by suffering. (They're not.)
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,148 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    If it worked before, there was something good about it. Can you figure it out? Was it just because it was lower calorie? Was it because food was already planned for you? Was everything precooked and you just mindlessly stuck it in the microwave and ate it without thinking?
    Take the good part and try to replicate it in a way that's more sustainable. Maybe meal prepping. Maybe prelogging for a week?
    Think about the reason you gave up before. Too strict? Better to loosen up just a little and maintain the rest of your life than yo-yo off and on. Did you feel Deprived? Build small treats into your plan. Build in an occasional "cheat" or "treat". Christmas and birthdays happen. Life got busy? Or hard? Take a hiatus. Coast for a bit. But don't quit. Come back to it the minute life gets easier.
    Keep good habits.