Xanthan Gum

Options
PAPYRUS3
PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
I have read the following in the same article:

"Improved regularity: Xanthan gum increases the movement of water into the intestines to create a softer, bulkier stool that’s easier to pass. Studies have found that it significantly increases the frequency and amount of stool"

"It may increase fullness by delaying stomach emptying and slowing digestion"

If it increases the frequency of bowel movements, AND then states that it delays emptying and slows digestion doesn't make sense to me.

What do you make of this? Thanks so much all.

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,142 Member
    Options

What does xanthan gum do to your body?
    Xanthan gum swells in the intestine, which stimulates the intestine to push stool through. It also seems to slow the absorption of sugar from the digestive tract.

XANTHAN GUM - Uses, Side Effects, and More - Web M.D.

So maybe it swells and makes you feel full first, then moves on thru?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,084 Member
    Options
    Or maybe it does one thing in some people and the opposite in others.

Some medications are like that - side effects include both diahhroea and constipation.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I have read the following in the same article:

"Improved regularity: Xanthan gum increases the movement of water into the intestines to create a softer, bulkier stool that’s easier to pass. Studies have found that it significantly increases the frequency and amount of stool"

"It may increase fullness by delaying stomach emptying and slowing digestion"

If it increases the frequency of bowel movements, AND then states that it delays emptying and slows digestion doesn't make sense to me.

What do you make of this? Thanks so much all.

I don't know anything about Xanthan gum, but the concept makes sense to me as a generality about fiber's effects.

If someone eats too little fiber, there's much less mass in transit on the way to the toilet. Even with a fast digestion rate, bowel movements are likely to be less frequent, because there's not much in the digestive tract to be moved.

On the flip side, if someone is consistently eating lots of fiber, the mass in the digestive tract is higher. Even if digestion is slowed, that mass is going to exit sooner or later. Therefore, there likely will be more frequent bowel movements even if digestion is slower.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Yep... constipation is generally due to how long your feces spends in your large colon and rectum, after digestion is pretty much done. By creating more bulk, it sends an indication to the rectum to pass a bowel movement more frequently.