UK Weight Loss Support - Can You Share a Helpful Tip?

Options
I want to be healthy and need some reassurance. I’m female and in my thirties. I have 40kg to lose to promote my long-term health and general wellbeing. No health complications yet, but I’m scared that it will happen in the next 10 years. I know what I need to do but I’m overwhelmed by the task at hand.

I believe I now have a good relationship with food. I binge ate as a child and have never been anything but overweight for over 20 years. I have used food for emotional regulation. I believed my weight or my body shape kept me “safe” as it was familiar. I’ve had counselling over the years and I’m in the best position mentally than I’ve ever been in.

As an adult, I have no children but I am recently married. I understand nutrition and what my body needs. I don’t want to believe food is good or bad or deal with food in a manner of points or syns. So, Slimming World and Weight Watcher’s isn’t a long term solution for me. I am anti-diet industry and believe in a healthy and balanced approach. I exercise 2-3 times a week and love it. My body composition is “high fat high muscle” due to my commitment to exercise but the food side I’ve just let slip over the years and I’ve put on 20kg since the pandemic after losing that weight previously.

I know all I need to do is drop the calories and just keep being in a sensible calorie deficit over a reasonable period of time to achieve my goal. I have access to some resources (such as MyFitnessPal) to make sure I stay on target. I just need to actually DO IT.

However, I’ve always done this alone and I feel like I just need that little bit of help /reassurance. I now live in an area where I have minimal social support (Hertfordshire) and I’ve tried to seek support or make connections locally and it’s been a bit fruitless. I would appreciate anyone who is willing to share their story or provide guidance.

Many thanks!

Best Answer

• lolakinks
    lolakinks Posts: 367 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi, we are kinda similar. I’m 34, 164 cm and 105 kg. I want to lose 30 kg. I also live in a small city in the UK, Norwich. And I’m new in the country so I don’t really have a support system. I try to exercise 3 times a week but mostly end up 1-2 times.

I’ve gained 50 kgs in the last 17 years. I’ve did binge/stress/emotional eating and drinking all these years. I know a lot about nutritions, healthy eating and stuff but I still can’t manage to lose weight. I also have PCOS and insulin resistance so they make it harder. And I am also vegetarian so I mostly eat carbs and have very low protein intake. By the way I am also anti-diet. I just try to eat more vegetables, less processed food, increase my protein intake and do calorie deficit. But my problem is lack of motivation and consistency.

If you wanna be in touch and motivate each other, you are very welcome.