Some one convince me... NROLW

Options

Replies

• Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    haha panties in a twist much?

Didnt see any begging, and you dont know what my frame of mind is. I love lifting heavy

Convince = give me 'your' pros and cons of the program - from people who 'have done it' - called experiences - dont jump down my throat if you dont feel like explaining anything, especially if you cant take the way people phrase things with a grain of salt

I havent found the right program 'for me' hence the research questions. This is my method, I overly examine and ask questions before committing, I dont see anything wrong with that

You asked people to convince you to buy the book. When someone suggested that you check it out from the library for free and take it for a spin, you said that wasn't good enough. That's not what I call research. That's what I call refusing to take initiative and begging other people to do your thinking for you. You got bored with Stronglifts, probably didn't even bother to complete it. But yeah, I don't know anything about your frame of mind. You're absolutely ready to tackle a challenging lifting program. My apologies.

Solid truth.

OP, you won't accomplish anything unless you take initiative. Do the research for youself. Spend the money, get the book, or don't. If you're not new to weight lifting then you should be able to make that decision on your own.

If you need to work on form, NROLFW is not the book for you; it is sadly lacking in technique. I suggest Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe.

I agree.

NROLFW is a good program, but it is complicated. The routines switch up often. You could try adding some accessory work onto SL after figuring out form for the main lifts. Or, hire someone to come up with a program specific to you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Why do people always mince words around here?

Sure, you can read between the lines, and perhaps, draw some insight on what someone posts.

Or you could just stick to the topic as presented...

The OP didn't say "hey I don't really like lifting, make me want to do it".

The OP said "I was thinking of buying this book, what are your thoughts?"
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Sure, you can read between the lines, and perhaps, draw some insight on what someone posts.

She didn't say either of those things.

She said "convince me that this is a book worth buying"
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Exactly... and from that it was inferred that she really has no interest in lifting. :huh:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    As the title says, someone convince me that this is a book worth buying...and go!

No seriously... convince me I should take the time to purchase and read this book and apply its info.

Its 14.99$ in the nook store

This^^^^

Should have said

This
    I like to lift weights, Im not a cardio bunny, I need to lose weight change my shape build muscle, feel better, I am still on the hunt for a 'program' that can allow me to set a goal and keep me interested. I started with beach body programs, and while they helped me I am not willing to spend any more money on more programs like that.
    I see alot of people talking about it and was wondering what people like about it and if its worth buying the book reading it and giving it a go.

I did read the kindle sample, which is what prompted this post.

IMHO, I think you would have gotten a lot more help a lot faster.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    As the title says, someone convince me that this is a book worth buying...and go!

No seriously... convince me I should take the time to purchase and read this book and apply its info.

Its 14.99$ in the nook store

This^^^^

Should have said

This
    I like to lift weights, Im not a cardio bunny, I need to lose weight change my shape build muscle, feel better, I am still on the hunt for a 'program' that can allow me to set a goal and keep me interested. I started with beach body programs, and while they helped me I am not willing to spend any more money on more programs like that.
    I see alot of people talking about it and was wondering what people like about it and if its worth buying the book reading it and giving it a go.

I did read the kindle sample, which is what prompted this post.

IMHO, I think you would have gotten a lot more help a lot faster.

you're probably right, had i thought using the words "convince me" would illicit this madness rather than just a list of opinions about the program/ book I might have taken the time to write that out.... but alas i trusted the adults to be mature, simple, and easy going.

Exactly... and from that it was inferred that she really has no interest in lifting. :huh:

Pretty sure youre one of the few who gets it :drinker:

I'm pretty sure most are not actually reading but skimming rather, and what they are reading, they're twisting the plain thoughts and psycho-analyzing them over the internet :noway:

I am suddenly not taking any initiative and have not accomplished anything ever *insert long exaggerated sigh*

And to reiterate:

"I like to lift weights, Im not a cardio bunny, I need to lose weight change my shape build muscle, feel better, I am still on the hunt for a 'program' that can allow me to set a goal and keep me interested. I started with beach body programs, and while they helped me (eta before they do not help me now) I am not willing to spend any more money on more programs like that.

I did read the kindle sample, which is what prompted this post. "
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ((( hugs ))) free for taking....... . . . . .. . . .
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    ((( hugs ))) free for taking....... . . . . .. . . .

tumblr_m2gpemuDZA1qj972zo1_500.gif

tumblr_m56jlplDe41rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight...you like lifting "heavy"...you've done Beachbody stuff (not lifting heavy)...and tried SL 5x5 and got bored (an actual heavy lifting program and save for Starting Strength, one of the best beginner "heavy" programs on the planet)...but you want to convince us that you like lifting heavy while we convince you to try a program that actually has some complexity to it (NROL4W) when you've already stated that you basically quit when it gets overly complex...yeah...you totally got this.
  • mommabenefield
    Options

If you need to work on form, NROLFW is not the book for you; it is sadly lacking in technique. I suggest Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe.

thank you that is helpful
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight...you like lifting "heavy"...you've done Beachbody stuff (not lifting heavy)...and tried SL 5x5 and got bored (an actual heavy lifting program and save for Starting Strength, one of the best beginner "heavy" programs on the planet)...but you want to convince us that you like lifting heavy while we convince you to try a program that actually has some complexity to it (NROL4W) when you've already stated that you basically quit when it gets overly complex...yeah...you totally got this.

^This.

When I became interested and serious about strength training..that was it. I researched, looked up reviews, lurked on various forums and just went for it.

And I don't have access to free weights. I've had to scrounge and make up my own routines. Stronglifts was one of my inspirations and despite my inability to follow that exact program, I pulled a lot of great info from it and applied its concepts to the things I could do.

If you want something bad enough, you'll take chances and do the leg work. Not ask people to convince you to buy a $15 book.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

^This.

When I became interested and serious about strength training..that was it. I researched, looked up reviews, lurked on various forums and just went for it.

And I don't have access to free weights. I've had to scrounge and make up my own routines. Stronglifts was one of my inspirations and despite my inability to follow that exact program, I pulled a lot of great info from it and applied its concepts to the things I could do.

If you want something bad enough, you'll take chances and do the leg work. Not ask people to convince you to buy a $15 book.

The OP used an unfortunate choice of words. All she really wanted to know was what people thought of the NROLW program. Why do we have to nitpick people over the words chosen? She didn't ask for people to judge her motivations.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

thank you that is helpful

While I 100% agree with Starting Strength (and think it's hands down the best beginner program on the planet)...you already tried SL which is basically the same thing in a 5x5 format and got bored. I'd suggest that you really don't have interest in lifting "heavy"...you may have some interest in resistance training and overall fitness, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't really want to lift "heavy". Heavy lifting is synonomous with big compound lifts (boring but highly effective for optimal strength and muscle gains) and repping to failure...it's not really "exciting" per sei...though I do find pulling 1.5 to 2 times my body weight dead of the floor pretty friggin' cool...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^This.

The OP used an unfortunate choice of words. All she really wanted to know was what people thought of the NROLW program. Why do we have to nitpick people over the words chosen? She didn't ask for people to judge her motivations.

And there are tons of reviews on the forums, in the NROLW group and other places like Amazon. If you spend 15 min looking, there are websites/posts that will even give a bit of a breakdown. She has knowledge about strength training so I still see it as her asking to be convinced to do something.
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    "I like to lift weights, Im not a cardio bunny, I need to lose weight change my shape build muscle, feel better, I am still on the hunt for a 'program' that can allow me to set a goal and keep me interested. I started with beach body programs, and while they helped me (eta before they do not help me now) I am not willing to spend any more money on more programs like that.

I did read the kindle sample, which is what prompted this post. "

I like to lift weights.

Im not a cardio bunny.

I am still on the hunt for a program. -this does not mean I dont do any weight lifting or activity while I am looking.

I STARTED with beach body programs
    -Lifting heavy weights is relative to a persons fitness level at the time what i was doing was heavy

I was wondering if this was worth it

I got bored with SL5x5 obviously that means its not right for me

I dont know how complex NROLW is HENCE THE QUESTIONS!

I dont quite understand how all this confusion has occured.
    You're assuming I am lazy and want the easy route and i have a bad attitude? Knowing nothing of my history other than the general statements i have made in this thread.
    Dont know how all this was gathered by a person asking for "convincing" regarding a purchase
    What makes this program worth it Pros and Cons?
    That is it thats all i wanted.

I HAVE done research and thought the 'lovely' folks of MFP could offer their opinions OF THE PROGRAM NOT OF ME.

Witch hunt much?

celebrity-pictures-gary-busey-crazy-people.jpg
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

i trusted the adults to be mature, simple, and easy going.

They were. You wrote a basically wrote a 1 sentence post asking to be "convinced", then expected everyone to know what you were talking about, motives, etc.., and you wonder why you got some of the responses you did?
  • jennbya
    jennbya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There's a NROL4W page on Facebook. Something that is mentioned frequently is that the book is a little outdated and their newer books are better. The authors in particular say the section on calories/eating is not great. So maybe look at the Facebook page and also maybe check out the other books to see if one looks better to you. The Facebook group is really active and if you ask for opinions on the different NROL books you'll get lots of answers! Good luck!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It's actually a really interesting book. I'm terrified of going to the gym to lift weights (I mean, like, dead terrified) but the information in the book is great and it's damn near convinced me.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm not a salesman. It's not my job to convince you of anything. Either you want to lift heavy or you don't. Since you're on here begging to be talked into it, I'm going to go ahead and suggest that you're not currently in the right frame of mind for committing to a real program.

Harsh but true, I was going to say something similar. NROL4W is a great book and program. If you're ready to commit to lifting heavy and bettering your body, it's a great place to start. We shouldn't have to convince you of that. If it's simply that you don't want to pay for the book, you can find it fairly easily for free online (though I'm not condoning that...I'm just poor a lot of the time so I understand financial concerns).
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    There's a NROL4W page on Facebook. Something that is mentioned frequently is that the book is a little outdated and their newer books are better. The authors in particular say the section on calories/eating is not great. So maybe look at the Facebook page and also maybe check out the other books to see if one looks better to you. The Facebook group is really active and if you ask for opinions on the different NROL books you'll get lots of answers! Good luck!

thank you i appreciate the feedback :drinker: