Overthinking and Weight Loss

Options
Hello,

I have been working really hard the past few months to shed the pounds that have creeped up on me. So far (in this current mindset), I have lost 6 pounds over the course of about 1- 1/5 months: strength training, cardio (between 30 minutes to 60 minutes 6 days a week), and healthy eating (mostly clean with 1500 calories as my maximum). I am 24, weigh 141 right now, I am 5'3", and my goal is 130. I am also a curvy person (which really brings me down because it makes it seem like my habits are not helping!).

My problem is that the loss is SO SLOW, that I am having trouble staying motivated. I get worried that I have entered the stage in my life where I will never lose this weight because my metabolism is slow. If anyone has any advice on how to get this weight loss system to start stepping up a notch?!

Extra Information:

I eat egg whites, 1 tbs pb, and fruit for breakfast; veggies and protein for lunch, a protein bar after my workout, an afternoon snack of vegetables, and usually a light dinner. I allow myself one cheat day a week, and I try to take one day off a week from any type of workout. My cardio usually consists of the elliptical, stationary bicycle, running/ walking on the treadmill, and the rowing machine. I have been using Jamie Eason's Live Fit as my guide for strength training.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A) You are weight training, so you are maintaining your LBM, so all (most) of your weight loss will be fat. This will slow your weight loss down. You will lose inches instead of weight. The tape measure is a better indicator of progress than the scale.

B) You are only trying to lose 17 lbs, and already lost 6.....in a month. How fast did you expect it to be? (also see A)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. You didn't put the weight on overnight and it's not going to come off overnight either. You actually want this to be a slow steady process (even though it feels agonizingly slow) because you'll be more likely to KEEP the weight off so you don't have to keep struggling. Take the time to learn these new habits so they stick with you for the rest of your life.

As far as your pace goes - you're right on track - in fact, you're going a little above and beyond. With less than 20 pounds to lose, a rate of 1/2 a pound per week is realistic and healthy. You're losing closer to 1 pound a week (going by your 6 pounds over 1.5 months) so you're technically a little ahead of the game.

Start taking body measurements and progress pictures. You won't necessarily notice the small changes in your body without these tools. And I bet if you're honest with yourself, there are some clothes that are already fitting better.

Stick with it, you're doing great!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 6 lbs in 4 to 6 weeks you're doing great, especially considering that you're not too far away from your goal weight.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I am 24 [...] I get worried that I have entered the stage in my life where I will never lose this weight because my metabolism is slow
    No. You're 24.
    I am also a curvy person (which really brings me down because it makes it seem like my habits are not helping!).
    What's wrong with curvy? Curvy's lovely! I'd rather be curvy than have the thick waist, narrow hips and flat bum that I was born with. You can't do much to change your basic shape as defined by bone structure and where you naturally carry fat. Don't fight it, embrace it!
    My problem is that the loss is SO SLOW, that I am having trouble staying motivated.
    It is slow. That's how it works. Now you're a healthy weight (or near enough), it should be slow. If it's fast, you're doing it wrong and probably losing more than fat, which is not good. Yeah, it's crap, but losing weight takes a long time, is really boring, and guess what? It's not over once you reach your goal. You still have to put all the work in, with no noticeable results. So, this is where the patience needs to kick in. :smile:

Bottom line: relax; you're overthinking it. :flowerforyou:
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've read on here that the less you have to lose, the slower it will take. It took me about 3 months to lose 10 pounds. You will have to be patient and keep working at it. You have already lost weight, so you are making progress.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    6 Lbs in 4-6 weeks is perfect. weigh loss is slow...best to just get that through your head and developing some actual real world expectations, not fairy tale expectations of vast poundage falling off on a weekly basis. Generally when you see people losing a LOT of weight at once, most of it is water...this happens a lot with people who go low carb and it's one or the reasons it's so popular...people eliminate carbs which substantially reduces water retention and glycogen stores (immediate energy)...all fine and dandy, but not a lot of those big losses are actually fat...just a ton of water..little fat, and probably a little muscle.

Also, people who have a lot to lose can and will lose at a faster rate...that's just how it is. The less you have to lose, the slower your body will be to release those limited fat stores.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Deep breathe chickie. You are maintaining LBM so don't pay so much attention to the weight on the scale, that changes for many reasons. Invest in a measuring tape and track your inches!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If your loss was any faster than what it's been, I'd be concerned about losing lean body mass. Your weight loss is going right according to a healthy schedule. Slow and steady wins the race where weight loss is concerned, especially since you didn't have ton to lose to begin with.
  • Bugsgettingfit
    Bugsgettingfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Though I have gained two-three pounds instead of losing anymore, I have now started studying up on why this is: I have been upping my weight training, and therefore building muscle. I definitely feel more toned!

If I can get to my goal weight, then I will definitely know I can overcome my impatient attitude :-)