Garmin Connect Frustrations

Options
Hi Guys,

I don't understand how to show active calories of my garmin connect in myfitnesspal instead of 'exercise' it is currently showing me which are basically the exercises + a steps calorie adjustement that I don't understand.

If my watch can tell myfitnesspal the actual and real active calories from my workouts and steps why is it not possible to us this data, or is it and I don't know how to set it up?
Tagged:

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    Options
    If you have your Garmin device fully synced with MFP (and there are no technical glitches), it's already taking into account all active calories - it's just not showing it in a way you're used to.

Firstly: your selected activity level on MFP already includes a number of active calories (fewer if sedentary, more if you selected active,...).
    The exercise logs in the diary show gross calories for exercise sessions (including BMR).
    But then the calorie adjustment looks at your total calorie burn for the day and compares that to your selected MFP activity level -> it gives you extra calories if you were more active than selected (or fewer calories if less active, and negative adjustments active/allowed) and also takes away the BMR calories from exercise sessions (to avoid double counting them, since MFP already took those into account).

So the end result is that your calorie goal reflects all of your active calories (steps, exercise,...) as well as your selected rate of weight loss.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    My "connected" to Garmin App has broken this January 2024.

Usually it is mildly broken, works sometimes, but usually MFP newsfeed is about a 30% success rate.

Now, it just won't connect with my Garmin.
  • nubbsa10
    nubbsa10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chris, are you not seeing the garmin app in my apps on right side of page? I can't get my calories in and out to show from MFP to the Garmin connect. Are you having this problem?
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My "connected" to Garmin App has broken this January 2024.

Usually it is mildly broken, works sometimes, but usually MFP newsfeed is about a 30% success rate.

Now, it just won't connect with my Garmin.

Me too. The last time it showed my activity in my newfeed was 8 days ago. It will still show my exercise calories in my diary, but not my activity in my newsfeed. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, I've also reinstalled both apps.

It's funny because my husband, who hasn't logged onto to MFP in years, still shows his activities in the newsfeed.