What is the best exercise tracker out there? Waterproof is a must.

Options
Hello! I'm back at exercising again. I was hurt, finally had knee surgery last August and unfortunately gained the 30 I had previously lost and then some. 😢 I need an accurate exercise tracker that can be used while swimming as well as sync here. I'm looking specifically at getting another fitbit. Which is the best?

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    There is no one "best". It depends on your personal needs, preferences, and goals.

If you want it to sync to MFP, start there with the list of compatible watches. Then make a list of features you think you'll benefit from. (Note: There are some rumors that Apple didn't properly implement the Apple Watch sync, so some people have trouble with that one.) Next, evaluate specific models for the features you need or want. It's a little complicated, but a useful exercise.

Most good tracker watches these days are waterproof enough to swim, usually. Some may work for deep diving, in the sense that they don't leak and stop functioning. A smaller subset will actually provide distance estimates for indoor pools or even outdoor water, so if that matters to you, look for that feature. (I know some Garmins do it, not sure about Fitbits. I'm a Garmin gal.)

The DC Rainmaker site reviews a lot of the higher-end multi-sport watches, so it can be a good source of info.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

It won't necessarily review the simpler watches, because he's a multisport guy; but he does swim and review those features.

• earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I’m also partial to Garmin. I’ve been using them for years and have loved all of my devices. Right now I’m using the Venu 2 (previously had the Venu) and I love it. Mind you, I don’t do any competitive sports or anything. I use it more to track steps, floors, heart rate, sleep, and general activity. You can link your phone to get calls and texts and music but I don’t use those features personally. I also like how it looks, not too “sporty” perfect for wearing every day.
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just re-read your post and saw you’re looking at Fitbit. Sorry for the garmin rant!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    Another Garmin person here. At least it's not owned by Google (Fitbit) and at super serious data collection risk, compared to just at risk. Plus Garmin doesn't charge you for more detailed data.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall. I'll definitely check out the Garmin Venu 2!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Oh and please feel free to friend me. I need all the inspiration I can get.