Walnuts…why do you have so much fat??

Options
Devastated to see that I ate over 300 calories with just a handful of walnuts 🥲 They’re one of my favourite snacks, but good to see that was I eating too many calories with just nuts!
Tagged:

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Yeeeeeah, nuts are easy to overeat. Get thee a scale, if you don't already have one :)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    edited January 9
    Options
    Get nuts in the shell. Not because you'll burn calories opening them, but just because it slows you down. Harder to measure accurately because I don't think they are all that uniform as to mass of nut versus mass of nut in the shell.

Definitely do this with pistachios.

Impossible, of course, with cashews.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    Yeah, an ounce of cheese is pretty tiny too. Same with peanut butter.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    edited January 9
    Options
    I have some very, tiny, cute condiment bowls (Asian), for things like soy sauce. One tiny bowl holds about 30 grams. I fill it with shelled sunflower seeds for my snack. One handful of these seeds has more calories than I want to eat. So, I fill a level bowl with them. That way I can enjoy eating them without fear of overeating. Sunflower seeds help curb other cravings for me.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Get nuts in the shell. Not because you'll burn calories opening them, but just because it slows you down. Harder to measure accurately because I don't think they are all that uniform as to mass of nut versus mass of nut in the shell.

Definitely do this with pistachios.

Impossible, of course, with cashews.

I weigh my unshelled pistachios, eat them, weigh the shells, and then subtract. I don't trust myself not being as accurate as possible with pistachios. LOL.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The fat in walnuts is really good for you, and from what I understand, the body doesn't absorb all the calories in them anyway. I'd just go for a smaller amount--I usually limit a serving to about 15 g.
  • Liz4Liz4Ever
    Liz4Liz4Ever Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They are high in fat but they are a real food! That alone counts for something. Weighing out a portion of nuts is a must for me. I used to overeat them daily. And I find they don’t curb hunger the same way protein rich foods do. But no need to cut them out entirely. :)