I am not losing weight and not fully sure why?

Options
missmerchandise
missmerchandise Posts: 9 Member
edited January 9 in Health and Weight Loss
I know that tracking is really important but I forget to do it for a few meals each day. I have been tracking for 7 days straight. It does feel restrictive though. Id say I eat pretty healthy except I do have the occasional sweets/pastries/bagels. How do you all suggest I start seeing weightloss. I also thought about going on those weightloss meds but I dont think my insurance covers it

Answers

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    tracking allows me to eat more than i think i should, actually. even if you were tracking everything

Exactly. Once I managed to select appropriate instead of over aggressive goals and used tracking to highlight and guide me to the best values for me, it became a maximization game of fitting nutrition and fun within my caloric budget.

But it did take an open mind to making additional changes beyond solely eliminating or limiting options and portions
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,614 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. Make sure your GOAL is appropriate. If you set MFP to lose too much too quickly, it CAN feel restrictive. It may be that you need to eat more. As long as you are in deficit, you'll lose fat. It may be slower than you want. In that you aren't alone. Slow is better. How much are you trying to lose? How fast? What kind of things are you eating, and how much? Your profile and diary are locked, so nobody can comment on what you DO log, and of course there's no way to know what you don't log.

2. Do you use a food scale? I recommend you do and that you use it any time you can for any thing you eat. It will become a habit and it won't be hard once you're used to it. Here's the bonus; if you get regular with weighing things, it gives you power to estimate when you're away from the scale. You have to keep using the scale to keep your eyeball calibrated though. When you aren't able to log, you can just make the best guess you can and write it down. I'm probably old-school, but I carry a pocket notebook and a pen so I can scribble notes to myself. I can write down a guess of what I eat and log it later. You could do the same if you either aren't using the app or don't want to log on the app or use your phone to make yourself a note for later.

As Columbo would say; Uh. One more thing: A week isn't enough time. Give it a month and reassess. You might change your goals. Weight loss will not be linear; it will bounce around. When you weigh every day, ignore the number and instead put it in a spreadsheet and look at a rolling average. A weighted moving average is better. For more information, check out The Hacker's Diet, especially the chapter on Signal & Noise.
  • Sweetzyd
    Sweetzyd Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    All the tips above are great, and like Ann mentioned, some people plan and log their meals in advance. This is what I do and it has helped me a ton. If the day changes with my foods/meals, I adjust accordingly. Good luck to you!