Did not expect this from lifting heavy!!!

Options
So I took up running this spring as my main exercise for weight loss. I have been doing 5k races all summer along with a few 10ks and a 7 mile race trying for new personal bests. Up until this weekend by personal best for a 5k was 26min 23sec.

Even though I knew I should I never started lifting because I wanted to concentrate on making my running faster/better, and was convinced that lifting would just slow down my running progress.

Well I finally started doing stronglifts 5x5 two and a half weeks ago. I noticed a difference in my running almost immediately. My legs felt much more powerful and stronger.

Well this weekend I did a 5k at the last minute(literally had a friend call late the night before asking me to do it with her, I was out drinking with some friends but agreed to it anyways). Everything went wrong that could have....I was drinking whisky the night before and was a little foggy when I showed up, I forgot my mp3 player so I had no tunes, and I forget to double knot my shoes and they came untied inside the first mile.

Needless to say I was not my best and the first mile felt like and eternity, but after that I warmed up and felt awesome. It was a relatively small race but it still seemed like I was pretty far up front in the pack. Well I finished and went and got my time slip and almost could not believe it.....23min 20sec!!!! I actually checked with a few of the people I finished around and their times were consistent with mine and they said it was their norm.

I shaved three minutes off my best time and went from a best of 8.5 min mile pace to a 7.5 min mile pace with no other changes other than the lifting. Also I noticed I had ZERO pain after the race. Usually my hips and shins are sore after races to the point I am taking Aleve....not even a hint of pain now. My goal was to get down to a high 7min/mile pace NEXT year, well I shattered that so now I am gunning for 6s!!

I have to say I am hooked on the lifting, I can't believe how powerful it makes you feel after every workout and lifting what seemed impossible the week before.!! I love squats now!!!!

Replies

• lnichola1
    lnichola1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When you say "heavy" lifting, how much is heavy? Also, I'm not familiar with the term 5x5...could you please explain?

I am happy for you that your time increased so dramatically after only 2 weeks of strength training. In general, I've heard that folks who have more lean muscle mass burn calories for much longer periods of time. For example, if a rather sedentary person walked for 20 minutes at a 5.0 pace on the treadmill once a day, they would likely burn calories during that walk and for maybe and hour or two after they were finished. But take someone who is already (or somewhat) fit, such as yourself, and throw in the daily muscle fatigue of building, breaking down, repairing, and re-building muscles (which is what happens to them when you do strength training), it increases their metabolic rate to the point they are still buring calories even while they are sleeping. What I am getting at is that when your metabolism in running at a higher rate (like yours), it tends to give you more energy 24/7. That can only help in improving your best times.

Keep up the great work and congratulations! :-)
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Good to hear it's working for you. From what I've seen, it seems that doing weight training and running training in parallel tends to be complimentary. It makes sense because, while we tend to distinguish between cardio and resistance workouts, all cardio activities also require muscular strength and endurance, so anything that might help improve the capacity of yoru muscles to do work should help.

The only time I really saw weight training negatively impact running was when a friend in college lifted over the summer, but did no running. When classes started the next fall and we were taking our fitness test, his body wasn't used to running with the additional weight he'd put on, so he was notably slower.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Seems like there were a few differences in race prep and approach beyond the lifting. Anyway, congrats on the PR!
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a victory for you, good job and keep up the lifting!
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Great story! Congrats on the personal bests!
  • channadugger
    Options
    I would like to start lifting when I hit my 40 lb. goal. I hear the benefits are amazing. Sounds like it is working out great for you.:flowerforyou:
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I would like to start lifting when I hit my 40 lb. goal. I hear the benefits are amazing. Sounds like it is working out great for you.:flowerforyou:
    I felt the same way about waiting to lift, but I really encourage you to start as soon as possible. Your body will look better faster, there's no reason to wait. I repeatedly hear people saying "I only wish I had started sooner."

Great work, OP. Heavy lifting really is magical.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was the whiskey. :drinker:
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    When you say "heavy" lifting, how much is heavy? Also, I'm not familiar with the term 5x5...could you please explain?

I am happy for you that your time increased so dramatically after only 2 weeks of strength training. In general, I've heard that folks who have more lean muscle mass burn calories for much longer periods of time. For example, if a rather sedentary person walked for 20 minutes at a 5.0 pace on the treadmill once a day, they would likely burn calories during that walk and for maybe and hour or two after they were finished. But take someone who is already (or somewhat) fit, such as yourself, and throw in the daily muscle fatigue of building, breaking down, repairing, and re-building muscles (which is what happens to them when you do strength training), it increases their metabolic rate to the point they are still buring calories even while they are sleeping. What I am getting at is that when your metabolism in running at a higher rate (like yours), it tends to give you more energy 24/7. That can only help in improving your best times.

Keep up the great work and congratulations! :-)

Heavy is a relative term-- "heavy lifting" means "as heavy as you can manage, progressively increasing weight as you can manage it."

5x5 is Stronglifts 5x5-- a particular lifting program that calls for 5 sets of 5 reps.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Why wait?

If you wait, then much of that 40 pounds will be muscle lost instead of fat.

Start now, and almost all of that 40 pounds will be fat. I guarantee you that you will be happier with how you look after losing 40 pounds if you start lifting properly now.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Great story!! I just got back into weights seriously about a month ago, hoping to see some improvements on my runs as well!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!

I'd still be recovering from tripping over my shoestring :blushing:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way about waiting to lift, but I really encourage you to start as soon as possible. Your body will look better faster, there's no reason to wait. I repeatedly hear people saying "I only wish I had started sooner."

This ^^^^ Start now.

Lifting has helped my running as well. The added core strength helps with stability (I trail run) and squats/deads have made my legs spring loaded. Lifting is a beautiful thing, I'm glad you started, OP.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

QFT
  • lessteel
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

You basically start with an empty olympic bar and progressively add weight each session (iirc 5-10lbs depending on exercise) and you only do three different lifts 5 reps for 5 sets three time per week.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting really is magical.

This is ~exactly~ how I describe lifting.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

This ^^^^ Start now.

Lifting has helped my running as well. The added core strength helps with stability (I trail run) and squats/deads have made my legs spring loaded. Lifting is a beautiful thing, I'm glad you started, OP.

another vote for NOW...you will be much happier with your body when you hit your 40 pound goal if you lift along the way.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    How do you know it wasnt the whiskey?

wild_turkey_give_em_bird_01.jpg

Congrats on a great time! :drinker:
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    well done! lifting heavy has so many benefits! glad you felt stronger during your race (post 1st mile hangover).

:)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou: